PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, please inform/help me.

jayson
09-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone, I just got into raising discus. Used to had cichlids, but got out of hobby. I'm still very new and i've been trying to read as much info from this forum as possible to inform myself. But my main question is, is it necessary/mandatory to do large water changes so often to raise juvies? I'm hearing 50% daily, 50% every other day, ect. Large amounts very often. And also, does this water change routine change when the juvies become adult size? Less water change needed when their fully grown or no? Please give me good advices as far as how much water I should change and how often. and the best way to grow juvies out to their potential.
Thanks very much,
Jayson
Sorry for many questions in one post.... I'm still trying to learn. Thanks!

Jennie
09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
If you purchase Juvies You need to feed them 6-8 times a day to achieve proper health and growth. Feeding them this much means allot of poop, left over food= dirty water. Clean water is also a requirement to healthy discus fish. 50% daily is good. Start them in a smaller tank and graduate up to larger tank as they grow.
When they reach 4+ inches you can cut back on the feeding and water changes.
OR u can buy sub adults or larger and not deal with the frequent WC
6 minimum discus is best

jayson
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
If you purchase Juvies You need to feed them 6-8 times a day to achieve proper health and growth. Feeding them this much means allot of poop, left over food= dirty water. Clean water is also a requirement to healthy discus fish. 50% daily is good. Start them in a smaller tank and graduate up to larger tank as they grow.
When they reach 4+ inches you can cut back on the feeding and water changes.
OR u can buy sub adults or larger and not deal with the frequent WC
6 minimum discus is best

Thanks for your reply. I currently have 7 of them in a 75 gallon tank. I don't have any other tanks to start them in. and with full time school, it's hard for me to do the daily 50%wc. wished i could. i feed them about 4-5 times a day, water looks pretty clean. i try changing it twice a week. how long do they take to mature by the way?

Jennie
09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Is your tank barebottom? Here is a problem with that routine. Fish waste accumulates every day, whether you can see it or not. Waste can create bacterial issues and cause your fish to become sick. If you use gravel it is near impossible to keep juvie tank clean even if daily WC. I'd like to hope that your fish will mature with regime. If all you can do is 2x a week make those WC 90% or better. I assume by Mature you mean size. Every strain is slightly different. With the best care you can achieve 5 inches in a year, but that is with the best care. Poor care will deliver stunted fish that may only reach a mximum of 4 inches if they make it to maturity. HTH

deepflyball
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Lover is right. How big are they??? And what feed are you feeding??

Jerry

jayson
09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Is your tank barebottom? Here is a problem with that routine. Fish waste accumulates every day, whether you can see it or not. Waste can create bacterial issues and cause your fish to become sick. If you use gravel it is near impossible to keep juvie tank clean even if daily WC. I'd like to hope that your fish will mature with regime. If all you can do is 2x a week make those WC 90% or better. I assume by Mature you mean size. Every strain is slightly different. With the best care you can achieve 5 inches in a year, but that is with the best care. Poor care will deliver stunted fish that may only reach a mximum of 4 inches if they make it to maturity. HTH

Ok. my tank is near bare bottom, i have just a few handfulls of gravel to spread a "very very" thin layer. I guess I'll try to do more wc or as much as i can do. so you're saying that without the right wc, these discus won't grow out to their full potential? i don't just mean size, i mean color and ect. because if it means, "not enough wc = poor quality lookin fish" then i will definitely do it. lol. thanks by the way

jayson
09-20-2010, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=deepflyball;682345]Lover is right. How big are they??? And what feed are you feeding

They are a bit bigger than quarter coin in size. some are a bit bigger and others a bit smaller. I feed them frozen blood worms and tetra color bits granuels.

Jennie
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
yes, if you want GOOD looking healthy fish you need to up the wc. it takes less than 30 minutes a day on a 75. just vac the bottom in 5 -10 minutes drain down 50 % and refill. I do a 125 in less than 40 minutes. Not allot of time involved

Ok. my tank is near bare bottom, i have just a few handfulls of gravel to spread a "very very" thin layer. I guess I'll try to do more wc or as much as i can do. so you're saying that without the right wc, these discus won't grow out to their full potential? i don't just mean size, i mean color and ect. because if it means, "not enough wc = poor quality lookin fish" then i will definitely do it. lol. thanks by the way

Skip
09-20-2010, 11:01 PM
jayson.. listen to jerry on the FRY>.. .. i have some of his and they are growing!! :D

Jennie
09-20-2010, 11:01 PM
add some more variety to their diet. Maybe ocean nutrition flake or beefheart flake. skip the bloodworms and try freeze dried blackworm. The blackworms will put growth on your fish quick

jayson
09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
where can i get beefheart flake and freeze dried blackworms (Jerry is it? sorry didn't catch your name). I live in chicago, but is there a "typical" pet store that i can buy it? petsmart, petco, ect.? I'll try it. and yes I will keep up with the wc. thanks so much, you all have been so helpful and polite.

Skip
09-20-2010, 11:28 PM
you can get frozen beefheart from petsmart.. or some LFS.. my fry haven't taken to beefheart flake yet...

and Brewmaster15 sells FDBlackworms.. i ordered some.. its easy.and you get it quick.. plus the fish love it!!

jerry is good people.. and had great fish..!! i have seen them and i am waitin for some more pairs to spawn!! :)

jayson
09-20-2010, 11:31 PM
thanks! i'll check local petsmart tomorrow. hope they take it. I'll start diggin and callin around, there is a pretty decent LFS near my home. anything else critical that i should know about discus? hehe. i mind as well ask, but really thanks to all those who replied. very nice of you guys

Jennie
09-20-2010, 11:34 PM
you can make your own too. or beefheart flake you can get from inland empire. My petsmart doesn't carry any frozen fish foods, so, not sure about others, but assume they are all the same

Discus master
09-21-2010, 03:44 PM
you can make your own too. or beefheart flake you can get from inland empire. My petsmart doesn't carry any frozen fish foods, so, not sure about others, but assume they are all the same

I am lucky I hve a That Fish Place near by they carry just about everything, there awsome. Just stay away from their fish far away!! at least from their discus anyways