PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys - Newbie Here

kingfisherfleshy
09-24-2010, 03:19 PM
I have been a member for awhile now...reading the stickys, and looking through the information that is available so far. I have also been reading the discus section in TFH magazine every month, and own a couple books on discus. I am now convinced that discus are something that I want.

I found someone who is selling 7 week old discus for $15 a pop. I can meet him this weekend in chicago. I dont care about quality...pedigree...or whatever. I just see this as a good opportunity to pick some fish up and try to gain some experience.

That being said, I have hard water around where I live. I have a bare-bones RO unit though...so I could mix my water 50/50 if need be. I have a heater, and a water storage container for aging h2o. I know that there are no silver bullets, but does anyone want to chime in on things that I should have before getting the fish...ways to prepare for the fish...anything?

I plan on drip acclimating them if I do pick them up. Thanks in advance.

PAR23
09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
I have been a member for awhile now...reading the stickys, and looking through the information that is available so far. I have also been reading the discus section in TFH magazine every month, and own a couple books on discus. I am now convinced that discus are something that I want.

I found someone who is selling 7 week old discus for $15 a pop. I can meet him this weekend in chicago. I dont care about quality...pedigree...or whatever. I just see this as a good opportunity to pick some fish up and try to gain some experience.

That being said, I have hard water around where I live. I have a bare-bones RO unit though...so I could mix my water 50/50 if need be. I have a heater, and a water storage container for aging h2o. I know that there are no silver bullets, but does anyone want to chime in on things that I should have before getting the fish...ways to prepare for the fish...anything?

I plan on drip acclimating them if I do pick them up. Thanks in advance.

Hi and WELCOME to the best forum on discus keeping. I am also a newbie but have learned a lot here. What kind of tank set up do you have (planted or BB)and is it cycled? I would get basic tools to measure water parameters...ie ammonium, nitrites, nitrates,KH and pH kits. How hard is your water? What is your TDS? My understanding from all my reading and conversation through this forum is that hard water is preferred for growing out discus. Maintaining stability and consistency is more important than striving to achieve a number. A sponge filter would also be great to help establish beneficial bacteria. I am sure I have missed other things but hope this is helpful. Best of Luck.

kingfisherfleshy
09-24-2010, 07:12 PM
My tank is established...it is a planted and has been running for over a year. It is highly over filtered via oversized eheim classic. I perform weekly water changes, but from all of my research understand that I will have to up this number quite a bit.

My pH is in the high 7's...its very well buffered to this level as well. Im thinking now that I will just drip acclimate, and hope that they do well in my h2o.

For right now food-wise all I have is freeze dried blood worms and NLS...but obviously I will try and get more kinds of food in the near future. Super excited about these little guys!