PDA

View Full Version : Light Recommendation 65g (planted)

JaVia
09-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Right now my tank is cycling so I am not concerned with the light that is on the tank, but I need to find a new light. I have been having a difficult time finding a good light.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 65 gallon planted tank? I would like it to about medium light. So I am aiming for no less than 96 w (low end) and 200 (watt)
The tank is 24" tall, 36" wide, and 18" deep. So its proving hard to find a 36" light, for a reasonable price with a decent wattage. That you can buy replacement bulbs for, that was another issue/concern

So if anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear it. Thanks

Also, would getting two separate fixtures be good or bad?

Also what is the best light choice out of these: 6500k 10000k 420 plant grow 450

I found a light I am looking at it is 4x39w, sound good?

Offpath
09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I found a light I am looking at it is 4x39w, sound good?

I'm guessing from wattage that's a T5HO fixture? If so, you're going to have *way* too much light unless you raise it quite a ways off the top of the tank. You should be fine with a single T5HO or 2 T5NO bulbs a few inches above the tank. See the charts in this thread for more info:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

If you're basing your estimate of 96-200w off of the old watts per gallon rules, be advised that these were devised around old T12 and T8 bulbs and that T5s are much more efficient.

h2osanity
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
T5HO fixtures are your best bang for the buck. I currently have ONE 2 x 39W fixture on my 65T and so far all the plants are still doing fine (switched from a 16" depth to a 24" depth. I have mostly lower needs plants crypts and swords... but even the blyxa japonica and the stems are still growing fine. A 4x39W fixture would be fine for med-high light plants.

There are a few places that have reasonable lighting prices, another forum member from kwas.ca gave me a link a while back for inexpensive lamps and they have fixtures as well: fishneedit.com out of California. I have yet to order from them but he has and says they are comparable lamps to other brands for less $$. Some reefkeepers I know said their fixtures are fine.

I would go with either the 6700 or the 10000. Currently I use a combination of both.

lee1
09-28-2010, 12:59 AM
one 96 watt will work, thats what i use on my 50 gallon low tech.

JaVia
10-29-2010, 12:49 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES. This was driving me NUTS.
Plus less watts usually= less $$$ so that is always a plus for me! :)

Thanks again guys!