PDA

View Full Version : compost in an aquarium

shehzad
09-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Hello frnds,

I have been reading SimplyDiscus since long. i don't post often but i was curious to share few of my confusions. I have a 75g tank in which i want to tr y out plantation. I started with Amazon and other easy growing plants. Even they died. Then after doing some research work form the site i upgraded my tank lighting. The new plants after the new lighting showed me a normal response. Than i switched to upgrading my fertilizers. I tried a lot of liquid fertilizer but they were "ok". We usually dont get good aquarium stuff from LFS (India, Gujarat) So before giving up my mission, i tried a last thing. i stuffed a thin layer of earthworm compost in my tank. I was amazed to see my plants bubbling and flourishing with shiny colors. After few days i added few mollys in the tank. I noted that there was no signs of danger to the fish. Than i added some barbs and tetras. They all were good. Nearly after two weeks i removed all the fishes and placed some gold fish in it. Again waited for two weeks with no sign of fish stress. But the only thing i am afraid of - is it discus safe...?:confused:

zamboniMan
09-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Should be many aquarists myself included use dirt/ potting soil for plants and safely keep discus over it. Just get rid of the goldfish.

shehzad
09-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Goldfish was to experiment to see if it is working for the fishes or not. I have 2 melons, 2 red map and 2 turq's waiting to get shifted to this display tank. They are just 2" and so in a barebottom raising tank.

DiscusOnly
09-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Earthworm castings is actually used by some folks that are into planted tanks. My friend has a few planted tank setup with castings with subtrates over top. He swears by it and I've actually went as far was getting 50lbs of this stuff for him to help me setup my 90 gals. The only problem... when it was time to tear down my tank and put the stuff in the tank, I was too reluctant. It looks messy but I am told once it's settled, it's great ferts.