PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Pair II

Eddie
09-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Here is another pair I put together since I had to move out of my house. These are in the dorms with me. The female was doing dry runs today so hope she can go the distance. She is the one with the halo.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03159.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03158.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03144.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03112.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03111.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03110.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03108.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03103.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03097.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03086.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03085.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Lake%20Solomon/Pair%20II%20Sept%2026/DSC03076.jpg

Jennie
09-26-2010, 06:13 AM
look at those clear bright shiny eyes! Nice fish Eddie:)

jball1125
09-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Oooooo boy! I love it when that bar is popping out.

I'm sure you will pull some killer fry out of those

Ed13
09-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I really like the discus, cone, background, color combo you have going on that tank Eddie.

They look great btw.

discusvast
09-26-2010, 02:15 PM
those are really nice pair you have there, with your magic hand they' ll be eggs and frys in no time. it's really worth to spend some time and work on them
good luck, eddie

William Palumbo
09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Looking good Eddie! Between you and Dale, I'm really liking this strain. All the best with the future spawns buddy. I know they are in capable hands. All the best...Bill

Eddie
09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks all! The male is still trying to figure out what to do with it. LOL The female is laying and he is eating the eggs and then doing his runs. Like "If you feed me caviar, I'll do what you are doing". They'll get it worked out in time. If I had to give up all my fish, I'd keep these 2 to concentrate on them only. ;) We'll see what the future has in store for me and the fishes.

Take care,

Eddie

dalejordan
09-26-2010, 09:28 PM
KILLER buddy !!! Don't worry, it's only an age thing...it will happen :-)

Man, they sure have a good percentage of the Solo genetics. !!! The shape, center bar and color, all Solo...very nice !!

Good luck bud !!

ockyra215
09-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Eddie,
Interesting tank color.I keep hoping something will pair up soon in my tanks.I like the solomons I have an order in for Dales.How come you had to move?Do you still have all your tanks....?:D

Eddie
09-26-2010, 11:17 PM
KILLER buddy !!! Don't worry, it's only an age thing...it will happen :-)

Man, they sure have a good percentage of the Solo genetics. !!! The shape, center bar and color, all Solo...very nice !!

Good luck bud !!

Thanks Dale, they definitely have some good Solomon genetics! It'll be fun watching them mature and get it right!

Eddie,
Interesting tank color.I keep hoping something will pair up soon in my tanks.I like the solomons I have an order in for Dales.How come you had to move?Do you still have all your tanks....?:D

Hey Dave, moved out because of personal issues at home. Tough living under the same roof when you are going through a divorce. I do have all my tanks but the fish are not getting the care they need. I am not sure how long that will work but we'll see. I'm currently living in temporary quarters until further notice. :o

Must be nice to get some of those stunners from Dale!

All the best guys,

Eddie

wadewc
09-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Sure is a Beatiful pair you have Eddie!! Can't wait to see the fry!

Wade

hadalu
09-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Nice beautiful pair eddie!:)

vera
09-27-2010, 01:19 AM
A bar , the halo , the red eye and a killer shape !!! man , she has it all , so envy !!:D
PS is there water in the tank :confused::confused: LOL
best of luck

Eddie
09-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Thanks peeps! And yes Vera...there is a little bit of water in there. :D I really like this female, all good attributes to work with.

Take care,

Eddie

calihawker
10-03-2010, 08:55 PM
As usual Eddie, wonderful shots, beautiful fish!!

DiscusKev
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Sweet, at first I thought the towel were the eggs (those bubbly thing in pic1) haha.

That female is a stunner, has the middle bar and the halo ring!

Beautiful, thanks for sharing Eddie, as always, keep up with your hard effort.

Eddie
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Sweet, at first I thought the towel were the eggs (those bubbly thing in pic1) haha.

That female is a stunner, has the middle bar and the halo ring!

Beautiful, thanks for sharing Eddie, as always, keep up with your hard effort.

Thanks Kev, been a while, hope all is well my friend!

Eddie

DiscusKev
10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks Kev, been a while, hope all is well my friend!

Eddie

I've been very busy like a bee hovering around for honey. Too much work to do, been quite stressed out too.

acroken
10-27-2010, 01:34 PM
i have come to the conclusion Eddie does not feed his fish. My tanks are not even that clean when new:D

How u do it man

Kenny

Tito
10-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Solo Hans solo whateva - does are some really nice fish!

Eddie
10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
i have come to the conclusion Eddie does not feed his fish. My tanks are not even that clean when new:D

How u do it man

Kenny

LOL, dont tell everyone my secret Kenny! :D No, I always shoot photos after a good scrub and water change. My fish are always happy with new water. ;)

jimg
10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Eddie is this the pair you had the last fry photos from?

Eddie
10-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Eddie is this the pair you had the last fry photos from?

No way, I wish! These are my favorite 2 and I would LOVE to have them carry fry. ;)

DiscusKev
10-27-2010, 06:56 PM

How u do it man

Kenny

Lol, you should know it by now, Eddie cleans his tank before taking pictures, his a perfectionist :D

Eddie
10-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Lol, you should know it by now, Eddie cleans his tank before taking pictures, his a perfectionist :D

Thats right Kev! LOL No, some people call it anal! :D

Jennie
10-27-2010, 07:41 PM
:D

Yogesh
10-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Beautiful pair, all the best.

Eddie
10-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks!

bonsai dave
10-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Great looking fish Eddie. I was wondering about the background . Is it painted or is that just the colour of the wall behind it. I like The colour and was thinking of painting my new thank that colour thanks David

Eddie
10-29-2010, 04:29 AM
Great looking fish Eddie. I was wondering about the background . Is it painted or is that just the colour of the wall behind it. I like The colour and was thinking of painting my new thank that colour thanks David

Thanks David, the tank is painted a pale pink and there is Kent blackwater expert in the water so it appears sort of orange.

MSD
10-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Worse then cleaning the tank, he now color coordinates the sides and back of the tank to the fish!! Go Eddie...:D

Eddie
11-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Worse then cleaning the tank, he now color coordinates the sides and back of the tank to the fish!! Go Eddie...:D

LOL, you know Mark...I like to color coordiante. :D

fryguyzzzz
11-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Very nice Eddie!

NickB
11-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I know its off topic from the great fish you posted i was just curious Eddie how long you have been keeping discus for? I see alot of people on this forum are always coming to you for advice. Have you learned everything you know from experience of keeping discus?

Eddie
11-04-2010, 05:44 AM
I know its off topic from the great fish you posted i was just curious Eddie how long you have been keeping discus for? I see alot of people on this forum are always coming to you for advice. Have you learned everything you know from experience of keeping discus?

Hey there Nick, no problem buddy. I first started keeping discus back in 1996 but only for a stint of less than a year, then I started again in 2004 for almost 2 years and this time I got into it pretty hardcore from 2008. I have read many many books on discus keeping and I have learned the majority of my skill from the great members of this forum, past and present. Due to some very unfortunate events in 2009, I started honing my skills in the disease/treatment area and to this day I enjoy saving people's fish. Every time someone's fish gets sick, its like my fish are sick and I give everything I got to try and save them. I've gained alot of experience from walking people through disease treatment and prevention. This past summer I had the greatest experience at the 2010 NADA show, where I learned judging techniques from John Nicholson, Larry Matincheck and Dick Au. The 2010 NADA show was amazing and I am already looking forward to the 2012 show. Hope that covers it!

Take care,

Eddie

dean9922
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Great Job Eddie
everytime I look on this site, I see you trying to help people out. THis site is very fortunate to have someone who cares so much about the discus we all keep. You give a lot of time to this passion of ours and I am sure you have helped many members keep there fish alive......so thank you to yourself and all the other more experienced people who lend a hand to the less experienced people out there.....take care and good luck with your solomans....nice looking fish.....

Hopeful
11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Beautiful pair. I have 2 rose reds that are showing signs of pairing up, her breeding tube has droped and she is cleaning everything. unfortunately my fish are not very happy and never have been really. I am new to discus (1 yr in) and new to this form so as soon as i figure out how to contact u I am hopeing you will be able to help with my issues so i might be able to have beautiful, happy fish to.:)

Eddie
11-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Great Job Eddie
everytime I look on this site, I see you trying to help people out. THis site is very fortunate to have someone who cares so much about the discus we all keep. You give a lot of time to this passion of ours and I am sure you have helped many members keep there fish alive......so thank you to yourself and all the other more experienced people who lend a hand to the less experienced people out there.....take care and good luck with your solomans....nice looking fish.....

Thanks Dean!

Beautiful pair. I have 2 rose reds that are showing signs of pairing up, her breeding tube has droped and she is cleaning everything. unfortunately my fish are not very happy and never have been really. I am new to discus (1 yr in) and new to this form so as soon as i figure out how to contact u I am hopeing you will be able to help with my issues so i might be able to have beautiful, happy fish to.:)

Sure thing, just let me know how I can help.

Eddie

PAR23
11-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey Eddie,

Very nice pair.......I noticed the silicone glue has a greenish/blue color to it. Is that something you did or just visual trickery from the photos. Either way, I like the look.:D

Hopeful
11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I would greatly appreciate your knowledge with my discus, I just dont know where to post my issues to You. I had a hard time finding this thread again. LOL.

Eddie
11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Eddie,

Very nice pair.......I noticed the silicone glue has a greenish/blue color to it. Is that something you did or just visual trickery from the photos. Either way, I like the look.:D

LOL, no no my friend, thats actually stained from previous treatments with Malachite Green. Its an old tank and has held several different pairs. ;)

I would greatly appreciate your knowledge with my discus, I just dont know where to post my issues to You. I had a hard time finding this thread again. LOL.

No problem, I'd say to send me a PM but you can't yet because of the forum rules. You have to post 10-15 posts before you can PM. Go ahead and post here. ;)

Hopeful
11-05-2010, 09:40 PM
ok great:) Here is the story from the begining and for a yr now. At first with my first discus of 14 babys some died over a short time i was left with 6. They grew, but seemed irritated rubbing on things, going on,off food. had them in and out of a QT. medicated with lots of different things and when they were eating and looking better put them back in the main. My biggest one 3-4in now was never off its food and about a month ago darted all over flashing and smashing into things, he hid for the rest of the day till super time, he ate very well then threw it up 5 mins later darted till he died:( I put the others in a different tank and striped the main down and bleached it all out. reset up and put new discus fish in. All was good for 2 weeks and now it is starting again. the tank was cycled before i put the new fish in. The 3 old discus have paired up she layed eggs last night for the 1st time, he ate them but they are still irritated. Im thinking it is a water problem. I have well water hardness is Gh 8, iron 1ppm, tds 188. and kh is 10, ph 8.0. The house has a softener, it uses potassium base salt(raised angels in it no prob) Gh 0, iron 0, tds 244, ph 8.0, kh 10. this is the water they r in now.

Eddie
11-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Hmm, it does sound like a water issue. More than likely related to the water softener. Can you bypass the softener at all?

Hopeful
11-05-2010, 09:51 PM
with the 1st batch i did try 50% well & 50% r/o for a few months, nothing changed so i went back to softener water thinking it had to be gill flukes or something. I donot have a r/o unit and with 50% water ch every 2nd day or more at times it was hard to pack. so I know the new discus were not sick when i got them here in town & they r now flashing in a tank that has only had them in it. It has to be the water I think. what would u do? I cant go straight r/o. plus my dad is going through the samething we have bought our fish together he lives about 45 mins from me he is on community water, the one thing that is the same is the softener that is why we tryed the r/o mix. I just dont know what to do. Any advise would be great. thank you very much for your time.

Hopeful
11-05-2010, 09:58 PM
would u sugest trying them i straight well water? i was talking to a breeder in Winipeg. He thinks it is my well water because it is off and on, more bad than good. He thinks its something getting in to the well during rains and whatnot. I live in B.C on property.

Eddie
11-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I am not familiar with conditioning well water. I would contact Al (Brewmaster) as he also uses well water. I would probably try to go with straight RO and then reconstitute it with minerals/carbonates. This is just an idea but the softener does appear to be the problem if both you and your pops had the same things going on and you both have the same softener. I've read of other using different salts in a water softener. I would start a thread in the water works section about your water and softener and the issues you have been dealing with.

Eddie

Hopeful
11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Ok Eddie I will do just that. Is Al on symliydiscus as Brewmaster? I would really like to talk with him because I dont have much room to run with r/o water not straight r/o I could buy it by the bottels and mix it with my well again if it will be better for them. Money is a issue right now to buy a unit. For me if my well water isnt to hard for them i would really like to use that. Thanxs so much for helping. but while I do that I do need to do my water changes. Would u try the raw well water? Or should I not based on the Gh levels?

Eddie
11-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Ok Eddie I will do just that. Is Al on symliydiscus as Brewmaster? I would really like to talk with him because I dont have much room to run with r/o water not straight r/o I could buy it by the bottels and mix it with my well again if it will be better for them. Money is a issue right now to buy a unit. For me if my well water isnt to hard for them i would really like to use that. Thanxs so much for helping. but while I do that I do need to do my water changes. Would u try the raw well water? Or should I not based on the Gh levels?

I'd go for the raw well water, just not sure about metals in your water. Just make sure you use a good water conditioner. GH is more of a factor when it comes to breeding, not so much in keeping. ;)

This is Al

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?u=4205

Hopeful
11-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Wonderful :) thank you. I dont know of all of the metales in my water either i only know the iron level and from what i read discus don't like it past 1ppm and that is what mine is. When i contact Al maybe he would be able to tell me what to look for. I also forgot to ask about some kind of odour that I have on the cold side of my tap. I think i had better look at the effects of sulfer or maybe magnessium has on the fish. I dont know if Prime will remove any of that.

Hopeful
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
by the way what water do u use? u have such beautiful discus.

Eddie
11-05-2010, 11:20 PM
by the way what water do u use? u have such beautiful discus.

I use municipal water here in Okinawa. It is very soft. I have to add minerals/carbonates to get my water where I want it.

Eddie

Hopeful
11-06-2010, 12:36 AM
hummm I just spent a hour or so posting in the water work section and some how lost it. wow i dont know what i did.:( but i will get it there. I wish I was afaster typer. we bought our 2nd batch of discus locally they are use to harder water and high ph. He uses city water no R/O and when i tested his ph it was fairly close to mine. So for now till i find out different i will try my raw wellwater.

Eddie
11-06-2010, 12:42 AM
hummm I just spent a hour or so posting in the water work section and some how lost it. wow i dont know what i did.:( but i will get it there. I wish I was afaster typer. we bought our 2nd batch of discus locally they are use to harder water and high ph. He uses city water no R/O and when i tested his ph it was fairly close to mine. So for now till i find out different i will try my raw wellwater.

Sorry to hear about the water thread. Hopefully the straight well will work.

Hopeful
11-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks again, I hope too:confused:

Eddie
11-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks again, I hope too:confused:

I think you can PM now since you have enough posts.

Hopeful
11-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Cool i will do that.

Hopeful
11-06-2010, 03:53 AM
well it is in water works sec. I hope i gave enough details lots of spelling mistakes. lol Thank u for ur direction

Hopeful
11-07-2010, 02:13 AM
Hey Eddie I was wondering what you think of my iron level 1ppm. My fish are not to happy. Im taking it slow and changed about 20gals with raw well but used the hot side of softener. There is so many different opinions out there regarding what water is ok to use. I havent had much luck with the post in water works as of yet so im feeling nervious on what to do.

Condor
11-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Eddie those look fantastic. Great job sticking with it.

Adrian

Eddie
11-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Eddie those look fantastic. Great job sticking with it.

Adrian

Adrian! Thanks man, you know I still need to send you that Yaki Soba mix. ;)

Condor
11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
:D No worry's buddy you've obviously got your plate full, or at least you've got a couple of plates in that tank!!:D:D

Adrian

wendy9722
01-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Eddie,
Did you get anything out of them yet? what also causes the dry runs? mine is doing in right now and normally she dont do that.
Wendy

Eddie
01-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Hi Eddie,
Did you get anything out of them yet? what also causes the dry runs? mine is doing in right now and normally she dont do that.
Wendy

Nothing, haven't had any time to concentrate on breeding. Not sure about why the dry runs but usually its just prespawning behavior. Maybe yours will spawn soon.

wendy9722
01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Nothing, haven't had any time to concentrate on breeding. Not sure about why the dry runs but usually its just prespawning behavior. Maybe yours will spawn soon.

They did a lot of dry runs then they finally laid :)

Disgirl
01-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Is this on one of the new cones Wendy? I would love to see a pic of it. Thanks!
Barb

wendy9722
01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Is this on one of the new cones Wendy? I would love to see a pic of it. Thanks!
Barb

Yes this is on one of my new cones... I'm about to do wc's and move the male to another tank to see if the mommy will care for them. He keeps eatting them. Eggs and wigglers.... A*$hole. Other wise I will try letting my other pair be foster parents and see what happens with that.

Wendy

wendy9722
01-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I dont know how to post them on here so everyone can see. Can you help me Barb?
God bless,
Wendy

Altum Nut
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey Wendy,

Not sure about the others...but I find it's easy to open a photobucket account and download photos there.
In the Quick reply box below....click on Go Advanced on right hand side. New page will open, Scroll down, you will see Manage Attachments, click on that. The page that opens will hold photos you download. You may have to resize them.
Once they are downloaded....you just drag the ones you want to the box just below it. They will appear in your post, but double check first clicking on Preview Post.

...Ralph