PDA

View Full Version : Cold Hard Facts for the Hobbyist...

brewmaster15
10-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi all,
I've been in the hobby now several decades and I have bred many fish, kept many, and like many others...killed many thru my own stupidity, carelessness or ignorance... It happens.

I have also helped or attempted to help more hobbyists than I can ever remember `how not to do the mistakes I have done or how to give better care than I was able to give at the same point in The Discus Learning Curve.

Veterans here know these as Cold hard facts, but I thought I should write them out `for novices and not so experienced keepers. Some are intuitive, but I am always surprised by how much we don't accept as facts when we get in the hobby.

1) You will Kill Fish if you are in this Hobby Long enough... You will also stunt their growth.
2) You will slack in care of fish as Life throws you curves..They'll usually live thru...but some may not
3) Theres a good likelihood that Discus are not right for you and your life style....you may leave the hobby. Its not the end of the world.
4) You will, if you stay in this long enough and learn from others,succeed at Breeding Discus and raising fry...You most likely will also have Pairs that will not breed for you or will be terrible parents...It happens. You may also have perfect pairs that breed if you look at them.
5) You will have Fish get sick....They may die from that..or they may die without any apparent reason...They are fish afterall.
6) You will have Fish that you grow out that you will be thrilled with...you have others you will be disappointed in...Their shortcomings or successes may have nothing to do with you or your care. Just accept it.
7) You will learn about WATER...save yourself the hassels and learn as soon as you can.
8) You will give advice to others....sometimes you will help them...others you may harm them...Likewise you will recieve both good and bad advice..Its a fact,
9) You will have a tank of fish with a weakling in it....It happens.
10) you will have a healthy group of fish that suddenly has a problem.
11) You will change lots of water. The definition of "Lots" may be different...but the fact remains..You'll be changing water
12) You will spend lots of money on the Discus Hobby..
13) You will buy from sellers and be thrilled...You will work with sellers and feel slighted or worse.
14) You will want more tanks...or more fish..

and
15) You will get hooked on Discus even knowing all the above facts...:)Even if you leave the hobby...you will think about that Flat fish everytime you see a fish tank....and thats a fact.:D:D:D:D

-al

yim11
10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
16) You will learn to quarantine - one way or another...

Skip
10-01-2010, 12:20 PM
very well written sir!

i have learned most in the last several weeks!! :D

DerekFF
10-01-2010, 12:58 PM
4) You will, if you stay in this long enough and learn from others,succeed at Breeding Discus and raising fry...You most likely will also have Pairs that will not breed for you or will be terrible parents...It happens. You may also have perfect pairs that breed if you look at them.

15) You will get hooked on Discus even knowing all the above facts...:)Even if you leave the hobby...you will think about that Flat fish everytime you see a fish tank....and thats a fact.:D:D:D:D

-al

Haha about #4 and #15 is the truth!

jimg
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Ha!!!! for some reason it all sounds so familiar!!

roclement
10-01-2010, 01:14 PM
YOU BETTER LIKE WATER BECAUSE IT WILL BE ALL OVER YOUR FLOOR

YOUR WIFE MUST LOVE THE SIGHT AND SMELL OF FISH FOOD IN THE FREEZER

MGKelly
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
EXCELLENT POST!!!

Sea Hag
10-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Great post, all so very true!

nc0gnet0
10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
You will one day find yourself at work wondering...OMG did I turn it off or OMG did I turn it back on?

Sea Hag
10-01-2010, 01:30 PM
You will one day find yourself at work wondering...OMG did I turn it off or OMG did I turn it back on?

And you'll make some crazy excuse to your boss about why you must go back home (and the word fish or tank will not be part of the request!).

Tito
10-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Whether it's Discus or not - I think I will always keep fish around - even if it's a can of Tuna!

Harriett
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Al, this thread, and to all of you who have added things to the list, and will continue, this is fabulous....when it is about complete, I want to print out the list and put it up inthe fish room! [Uh, that would be my living room...]
Very best regards,
Harriett

roclement
10-01-2010, 02:51 PM
There is another one! :)

At some point your living room and your fish room will be one and the same!

Rodrigo

roclement
10-01-2010, 02:54 PM
And Tito, you made my signature!

"Whether it's Discus or not - I think I will always keep fish around - even if it's a can of Tuna!"

Rodrigo

Tito
10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
And Tito, you made my signature!

"Whether it's Discus or not - I think I will always keep fish around - even if it's a can of Tuna!"

Rodrigo

LOL

Please Rod - I'm at work I can't laugh out this hard!

jimg
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Every time the electric goes off I leave work, I hook up the fish room and upstairs tanks to the generator. That's all I can run on it, the heat,refrigerator etc has to wait!!
I have 1/4 of the freezer and fridge filled with aquarium stuff
Holes drilled in hardware floors for pipes
yelled at for smell of bh mix
$350+ electric bill
haven't gone away for more than 2 days in some wheres around 7 -8 years

But that's the life of a discus hobbyist!

Richweg
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Very accurate and well stated

PAR23
10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
What is it about this "Flat fish" that makes you want to change "Lots" of water........fill half your fridge with their food.........kept you from taking a vacation lasting more than two days..........and once hooked, an addiction that you just can't shake......I guess "It happens":D

Eddie
10-01-2010, 08:57 PM
What is it about this "Flat fish" that makes you want to change "Lots" of water........fill half your fridge with their food.........kept you from taking a vacation lasting more than two days..........and once hooked, an addiction that you just can't shake......I guess "It happens":D

You know the funniest part is IF I do take a vacation that is longer than 2 days, its ACTUALLY to go see more of these flat fish. :o

DerekFF
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
You know the funniest part is IF I do take a vacation that is longer than 2 days, its ACTUALLY to go see more of these flat fish. :o

haha, omg my eyes are watering because its so true

jimg
10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Funny but true, my plans this winter are to take a few days to see Hans!!

Jennie
10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm afraid to go on vacation because of my fish.:p how pathetic am I

brewmaster15
10-01-2010, 09:42 PM
LOL... Fact also...The vacation phobia will pass in time... Though it may take years/decades .:):):)
Discus are much like cats...They won't miss you much if you go away a few days....Heck they could care less if you go away a week and may even be so happy that you aren't fussing with their tank that they spawn while you are gone....

...and thats a fact.:):):):):)

-al

Scribbles
10-02-2010, 03:08 AM
LOL My first vacation in 8 years was to the NADA show. My next one will be to the 2012 show.

Chris

Eddie
10-02-2010, 04:19 AM
LOL My first vacation in 8 years was to the NADA show. My next one will be to the 2012 show.

Chris

And it was a great one! I will also be at the 2012 show, no doubt!

Ardan
10-02-2010, 05:55 AM
Great thread and very good points.
I have accomplished most of the above, some of them more than once or many times:D
The learning never stops...... there are endless varieties and ways of doing things.:)
The people that you meet in this hobby is endless and one of the best parts:):):) Many of these people have taught me new things, and I thank them all.
Simply Discus has brought a lot of all of this together and I thank Al, Ryan, and Paul for making and keeping this place the way it is.:):):):):)
Its a fact:D
Ardan

Eddie
10-02-2010, 06:20 AM
I have accomplished most of the above, some of them more than once or many times:D
The learning never stops...... there are endless varieties and ways of doing things.:)
The people that you meet in this hobby is endless and one of the best parts:):):) Many of these people have taught me new things, and I thank them all.
Simply Discus has brought a lot of all of this together and I thank Al, Ryan, and Paul for making and keeping this place the way it is.:):):):):)
Ardan

HUGE DITTO!!!

DonMD
10-02-2010, 06:48 AM
17) You'll get at o'dark thirty to write a post on Simply discus, which will then be read and commented on by twenty other fishnuts up at ungodly hours with nothing else on their minds than to ruminate about these "flat" fish!:D:D

Al, you posted this at 6:20 am ? ? ?:p

Jennie
10-02-2010, 07:23 AM
lol.which was 4:20 my time! You are right, odd hours for us all

Scribbles
10-03-2010, 06:24 AM
What else is there to do at 3:30 AM.?

Chris

Skip
10-03-2010, 09:17 AM
lol.which was 4:20 my time! You are right, odd hours for us all

4/20 ; ) .. know wonder you are up all hours of nite thinking about discus.. LOL

Jennie
10-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Sorry Warlock, I wouldn't know what the appropriate lingo is. Not really into discussing that on a FAMILY(family means children) forum. :(. I am a mother and a grandmother, and wouldn't want my grandchild reading about that lingo on a fish forum.

nc0gnet0
10-03-2010, 09:33 AM
You will soon develope a strong distaste for carpeting..........

Jennie
10-03-2010, 09:40 AM
That's a good one ncogneto!

brewmaster15
10-03-2010, 09:50 AM
You will soon develope a strong distaste for carpeting..........
yep, and solid oak floors....even more strangely.. You'll find you really have a growing affinity for basements and bare concrete!;):D:D:D

-al

roclement
10-03-2010, 11:25 AM
What else is there to do at 3:30 AM.?

Chris

Water changes... :)

Disgirl
10-03-2010, 11:43 AM
And you will learn that a rarely used formal dining room can make a wonderful fish room, especially if there is no carpeting, and plenty of electric outlets, is near the kitchen sink and has a window to siphon water out of. Sound like I am speaking from experience ?
Barb:D:D:D

Discus-Hans
10-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Discus isn't a Hobby.

It's a way of life or a life style.

Hans

Skip
10-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Discus isn't a Hobby.

It's a way of life or a life style.

Hans

i was thinking about that as i spent all afternoon making my first batch of HOMEMADE Discus food...

is it a bad thing to daydream about ways to put more tanks into your house instead?

Keith Perkins
10-03-2010, 02:00 PM
yep, and solid oak floors....even more strangely.. You'll find you really have a growing affinity for basements and bare concrete!;):D:D:D

-al

I don't know about this one Al, concrete stain is a nice upgrade. :D

tdiscusman
10-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Very nice writeup Al, all so true. Same as Harriett, I'll print this out and posted in my fish room as a Discus xxx Commandments.

Tony

discusdaves
10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
This is awesome!!!!!!!! I to can not contain my laughter!!!! I just wrote a sad post on my own dilemma, and this post just made my day!!!!!!! My living room, dining room, spare bedroom, and bedroom have not only all been filled with tanks, but also flooded, and I have had many days at work wondering OH CR*P did I leave the water on?????? Fry will come, it takes time. I will never not own Discus!!!!! Heck even though it's just wrong I would have a 10 gallon with at least 2 in it if that's all I could have. Thanks for lighting the fire of love for these beautiful creatures with this post!!!!!

jimg
10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
i was thinking about that as i spent all afternoon making my first batch of HOMEMADE Discus food...

is it a bad thing to daydream about ways to put more tanks into your house instead?

Spent a few hours making food today too! Thank God my wife left for a few hours. What A mess I made!!!

Skip
10-03-2010, 03:53 PM
DD..

i just put a 20 g on my kitchen counter parallel to the back splash. then i turned it long to be perpendicular to the wall.. it fit so GREAT!! i can put ANOTHER ONE right next to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!! I am the IKEA of Fish Tank Organization.. :drummer:

Sea Hag
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM
WHAT!! I am the IKEA of Fish Tank Organization.. :drummer:

LOL. Too bad that's not a paying "career". How much fun would that be?!

Skip
10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
LOL. Too bad that's not a paying "career". How much fun would that be?!

http://vulcanstev.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/odds.jpg?w=500&h=400

Discus master
10-04-2010, 10:58 AM
YOU BETTER LIKE WATER BECAUSE IT WILL BE ALL OVER YOUR FLOOR

YOUR WIFE MUST LOVE THE SIGHT AND SMELL OF FISH FOOD IN THE FREEZER

I had to buy one of those mini fridges to keep my fish food in just because of that, lol. Works out though as I have it in a room right near the tank! But I found out real quick she really dose not like that smell, and my kids hate the smell of galic guard when I soak frozen food in that from time to time, it is some strong stuff.

Discus master
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
LOL... Fact also...The vacation phobia will pass in time... Though it may take years/decades .:):):)
Discus are much like cats...They won't miss you much if you go away a few days....Heck they could care less if you go away a week and may even be so happy that you aren't fussing with their tank that they spawn while you are gone....

...and thats a fact.:):):):):)

-al

I wish I could stop messing with decorating and then re decorting my tank. I probably have enough decoration for about 4, 55 gallon tanks and then some. I just can't find that look I want and when I think I got it I see something on here one of the members tanks and then change it all over again. My wife is going to kill me, latest is I spent about 50$ on Moopani wood and have placed that in the tank, now I am in the process of trying to get it placed "just right" for me, To be honest I feel like this could be it, I wish I would have discoverd this stuff sooner instead of walking past it. But I do like the look of the Manzanita wood as well uh uh here we go again! Just kidding I am done for now I got the one end with Moponia wood in the shape of a tree trunk with several pices and some scarted about the middle with some java fern and then I have a medium high strutcture on the other end. it is finally looking reall good in there with my pool filter sand, a decent amount of Mopani wood some Java fern which I may add some more of that when I get my up graded lighting next week, and with the colorful discus it looks rally nice. Kind of a Biotope but the droft wood dose not come from there and the Java fern. but it is pretty close to natrual as it can be at least there is no fake nothing in there it all natrual elements which against the colorful discus body I think that it really does look the best. i know theres not much plant life in the water where discus come from, but I look the looks of some plants in there it breaks up the darker colors of the wood and water.

Moon
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Ardan

AMEN to that.

Chad Adams
10-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Al, Truer words were never spoken.
Great Thread & Thanks for the encouragement my friend!
Chad

Fons_van_der_Hart
10-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Well said Al.

I only miss one line:
You'll spend a lot of money on visiting national or international Discus championships.

brewmaster15
10-08-2010, 07:47 AM
You'll spend a lot of money on visiting national or international Discus championships.
Yes Fons, that too is a cold hard fact for the hobbyist!:)

-al

yusufm52
04-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks For the Cold Hard Facts.. ;)

Chad Adams
04-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Man,
I remember this thread. Well worth re-reading.
Thanks again Al.

Chad

TerryP
08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Very true !!!!!!! Love it.

Look forward to any input you have in the future. 😃

Mr_B
09-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Definitely worth the read, thanks for posting this

nomad
09-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Cold Hard Facts,

I learned one last week, you will spill water. i overflowed my water barrel, maybe around 3 gallons lost on the floor. now im useing a float valve on my R/O output to barrel. I learned the hard way.

Brent1972
09-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Cold Hard Facts,

I learned one last week, you will spill water. i overflowed my water barrel, maybe around 3 gallons lost on the floor. now im useing a float valve on my R/O output to barrel. I learned the hard way.

3 gallons !! Thats just a splash ;) I left my HMA filter on all night , Float valve got stuck . 250+ gallons on the floor.

nomad
09-14-2012, 01:50 PM
250+ Thats a lot of water, My float is mostly use as a backup in case i forget. But i did rely on it last nite to fill my storage. 3 gallons was a lot to me when i have carpet,lol

Eddie
09-14-2012, 03:36 PM
3 gallons !! Thats just a splash ;) I left my HMA filter on all night , Float valve got stuck . 250+ gallons on the floor.

Damn!

tim_s
09-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I have some new additions,

1: You may have house guests, they may say "Cool Tank" but do not take it personally if the best you get in response is a *Blank stare* and a "Sounds Neat"

Guest, "oh I see, so the Ciocolides -- did I say it right? The Disks, whatever, eat those plants, like this is a glass box farm of some sort"
Tim, "No the plants are for decoration"
Guest, "Why is your water so dirty, it's like you are brewing the worlds largest tea"
Tim, "Well you see the wood in there? ..."
Guest, "Ah the wood is really dirty -- I get it"
Tim, "You know what, let's keep it simple - I am trying to brew the worlds largest tea"
Guest, "Awesome!"

2: IF you buy anything over $50.00, your wife will most probably offer a solution riddle with in-accuracies but expects you to believe it or will repeatedly question your requirements for the item regardless on whether they can remember what the item is called or not.

Wife, "Why is this tube thing so loud"
Tim, "The over flow?"
Wife, "Whatever this is called"
Tim, "I just installed it, give me a little time I am working on it"
Wife, "Why don't you just poke a hole in it"
Tim, "What do you mean - poke a hole in it?"
Wife, "Right here"
Tim, "What, do you know what would happen if you attempted that?"
Wife, "Sure people do it all the time"
Tim, "What - who are these people who own tanks that defy physic's, who - I am the only fish crazy person I know"

3. Using the word BURST can help you suddenly get acceptance of the purchase

Wife, "Ok so the CO2 is for what?"
Tim, "Plants"
Wife, "Will the fish grow as well?"
Tim, "From the CO2?"
Wife, "Yeah"
Tim, "Not likely - if they do I will share my new discovery with the world"
Wife, "Yeah yeah funny man, so the CO2 is pointless - why are we buying it again?"
Tim, "Are you going to let me buy it?"
Wife, "Why do we need it"
Tim, "FOR OUR SAFETLY"
Wife, "What Huh!"
Tim, "Do you want the tank to burst"
Wife, "What? - No?"
Tim, "The CO2 also stabilizes the tank and reduces pressure"
Wife, "Thought it was for the plants"
Tim, "It is but it will ALSO prevent the tank from BURSTING and destroying everything"
Wife, "OK! let's do it, I will feel better if the tank is a little more secure - it is a lot of water"
Tim, "I figured as much, I will put this on Mastercard please"

davidw
10-12-2012, 05:33 AM
really entertaining thread, and all so true and familiar.....

dpete9
10-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi,

3. Using the word BURST can help you suddenly get acceptance of the purchase

Wife, "Ok so the CO2 is for what?"
Tim, "Plants"
Wife, "Will the fish grow as well?"
Tim, "From the CO2?"
Wife, "Yeah"
Tim, "Not likely - if they do I will share my new discovery with the world"
Wife, "Yeah yeah funny man, so the CO2 is pointless - why are we buying it again?"
Tim, "Are you going to let me buy it?"
Wife, "Why do we need it"
Tim, "FOR OUR SAFETLY"
Wife, "What Huh!"
Tim, "Do you want the tank to burst"
Wife, "What? - No?"
Tim, "The CO2 also stabilizes the tank and reduces pressure"
Wife, "Thought it was for the plants"
Tim, "It is but it will ALSO prevent the tank from BURSTING and destroying everything"
Wife, "OK! let's do it, I will feel better if the tank is a little more secure - it is a lot of water"
Tim, "I figured as much, I will put this on Mastercard please"

OMG That's the best ever. I need to use the "burst technique" HOLY Sheeyot that's funny

Poco
10-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Nice one Tim.

Second Hand Pat
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Tim needs a new wife or she is either very smart or very dull.

amilaurie
10-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Thank you!!!!!

Kirbs
11-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for this thread. It's so true and amusing. I'm lucky enough that my wife doesn't give too much of a hard time when spending my time & $ on this hobby!

JonC
11-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I learned a lot from this.. Thanks

CherokeeNative
11-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Very funny - except for the one about water on the floor - that is my nightmare. LOL

Crystalwaters
11-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi,

1: You may have house guests, they may say "Cool Tank" but do not take it personally if the best you get in response is a *Blank stare* and a "Sounds Neat"

Guest, "oh I see, so the Ciocolides -- did I say it right? The Disks, whatever, eat those plants, like this is a glass box farm of some sort"
Tim, "No the plants are for decoration"
Guest, "Why is your water so dirty, it's like you are brewing the worlds largest tea"
Tim, "Well you see the wood in there? ..."
Guest, "Ah the wood is really dirty -- I get it"
Tim, "You know what, let's keep it simple - I am trying to brew the worlds largest tea"
Guest, "Awesome!"

Great thread, had to add to this though LOL

Guest, "Cool you have neon tetras"
Tim, "They're cardinals"

Not sure if you have cardinals Tim, but I get that a lot!

kimbo
11-14-2012, 11:48 PM
My sump system pump quit working and we lost 25 gallons on the livingroom floor...and basement. The house smelled like mildew for two weeks because of the carpet! We decided that sump systems are not for us!

Second Hand Pat
11-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you had to much water in the system. I always determine the maximum amount of water I can have in the system without overflowing the sump.

Fishwhispererpam
11-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Love this! Here's one

Son- mom, can we go DO something today?
Me- yeah, if you help me with my water changes first.
Son- ugh, again???

GrayLadyPat
11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
One from a noob (namely me):

You will never again walk by an empty tank without wondering how many discus it will hold comfortably, and whether or not you have room for it...

Discus-Hans
11-20-2012, 11:54 PM
My sump system pump quit working and we lost 25 gallons on the livingroom floor...and basement. The house smelled like mildew for two weeks because of the carpet! We decided that sump systems are not for us!

A sump you always fill with the pump off (to make sure you don't overfill) this way you never have a problem when power goes off,

Hans

Fishwhispererpam
11-21-2012, 12:32 AM

I love my sump! It's my easiest tank to keep clean. And yep.... Fill it with pump off.

Tazalanche
12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Excellent thread!

One from a noob (namely me):

You will never again walk by an empty tank without wondering how many discus it will hold comfortably, and whether or not you have room for it...So true.

chemjab
01-21-2013, 11:15 AM

I am finally doing this for the first time. I am also going through all the beginner articles, that I should have read years ago.

James

Scales
01-21-2013, 12:46 PM
This is by far the most useful forum I've registered with. Thanx for making my fish keeping so much easier and enjoyable.

PAR23
02-17-2013, 11:21 AM
I like many others, enjoy coming back to this thread for a good laugh.

Just when you think you got everything under control, the fish throws a curve ball at you. So back to SD search tab looking for answers.....Never a dull moment:)

redlionvjx
03-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Great thread to start off with to being the hobby

sunshine
03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Oh my what have my husband and I gotten into.... LOL...... we just wanted to see pretty fish in our tank.... :angel: Now I am seeing these darn cute fish are a lot of work and so very sensitive.... I am hoping we can balance having a life with keeping the few Discus we have. I dont know if we want to become full on hobbiests.... but we do want to give our babies the best care we can.... is there one certain place on this forum that shows all the sponors in one location so I can go look at what they offer etc, learn how to buy Discus etc... thanks everyone....

Shanaka
05-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Its amazing how you write it.. its almost the same thing that I am doing and how I feel... Thanks for sharing this.

Ramble
08-18-2013, 04:54 PM
i am already obsessed and i have just begun! only have my first 9 and already a building a fish room for more!!

ocean1
09-03-2013, 09:52 AM
thanks for the info

OldJoan
09-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi, I have been lurking these threads for a while now.... We are 15 months into having an aquarium and 7 weeks into being discus owners. We have seven 2.5-4" discus from LFS and last week got 5 babies (bout half dollar size) from a local breeder. Three of them are up and about and begging with the rest, one is hiding but does eat if we can land food down by it, and the 5th one hides all the time, is very dark and does not appear to eat. I do not know if it poops or not because he hides under a plant. Is there anything that can be done for the one that doesn't seem to want to join the party? Or is it a case of it is what it is and wait til it dies? We feed twice a day - start with some tetra flakes for the tetras, then some Hikari discus pellets. For dinner they get flakes, pellets, and each night a different frozen cube of blood worms, cube for discus, beef heart, cyclops, or brine shrimp. We do a weekly 40% water change of the 75 gal tank. We have 3 corys, 6 otocinclus, and about 12 tetras. Water parameters test out good.

Bilbo
09-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Good thread.

Tazalanche
09-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi, I have been lurking these threads for a while now.... We are 15 months into having an aquarium and 7 weeks into being discus owners. We have seven 2.5-4" discus from LFS and last week got 5 babies (bout half dollar size) from a local breeder. Three of them are up and about and begging with the rest, one is hiding but does eat if we can land food down by it, and the 5th one hides all the time, is very dark and does not appear to eat. I do not know if it poops or not because he hides under a plant. Is there anything that can be done for the one that doesn't seem to want to join the party? Or is it a case of it is what it is and wait til it dies? We feed twice a day - start with some tetra flakes for the tetras, then some Hikari discus pellets. For dinner they get flakes, pellets, and each night a different frozen cube of blood worms, cube for discus, beef heart, cyclops, or brine shrimp. We do a weekly 40% water change of the 75 gal tank. We have 3 corys, 6 otocinclus, and about 12 tetras. Water parameters test out good.First off, welcome to Simply! :wave:

To ensure you get the best help possible, you should start a new thread in the Disease/Sickness and Medication (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Disease-Sickness-and-Medication) subforum & fill out the questionnaire (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete) mentioned at the top there.

There are quite a few issues with your current setup & routine, so I'd also HIGHLY recommend reading the stickies in the Discus Basics for Beginners (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners) subforum.

Good luck Joan!

alexsano
09-04-2013, 01:37 AM
7) You will learn about WATER...save yourself the hassels and learn as soon as you can.

currently on this one...

i am so blessed i registered this forum! For 1 week now i kept telling myself that i spent a lot of time and money in a wrong way but good thing i saw this forum.

aquadon2222
12-26-2013, 08:39 PM
16.) You will get carried away looking at different discus on the internet and will convince yourself that you "have" to have them, and will buy more fish than you need.

jackie1258
02-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I find myself neglecting my housework because I would rather look after my discus.

ahmari1
04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
excellent, very true.

Quintin
04-19-2014, 05:12 PM
I sometimes sit on simply discus at while doing water changes and sneaking my fish treats.and i never liked fish at all thought all u gt was guppies and gold fish, then my wife ordered sum discus for her shop from a importer and i stole 2 (killed 1 he was fine in the nite and dead in the morning).now i have a 4 foot tank with 8 various discus some fine some stunted. 1x 3foot cichlid tank with 2 parot fish (which i stole from my wifes shop once i found out how they were created) now dont condone the selling of them as its cruel.2 oscars 1 blue ramzie 2 albino convicts and a yellow malawi.the cichlid tank also gets spoiled with daily water changes and treats.and my daughter has a tank with 2x goldfish some neons,guppies,danios and a siamese fighter male.And it gonna get wors as i want to get another 4 foot with 10 juvies of the same breed grow out and pair up.then want to get 6foot long by 3foot high by 3foot deep tant for my best discus and mabey a 20cm ghostfish or angels (barebottom).
This discus hobby is becoming a way of life for me too

DISCUS STU
08-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Great! I love the one about quarantine. Learned this lesson more than once.

How about, inevitably you'll buy some small "Rescue" Discus from a LPS (local pet shop) for $15.99 that grow out to look better than some of the much more expensive fish you bought from a big name breeder.

ericNH
08-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Well I've just registered with SimplyDiscusand this is the second thread I've looked into, after the Welcome Who Are You and Where Are You From thread.

Good place to start. Inspiring OP and responses!

Rachael702
09-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks for that! Laughed so hard I nearly cried.
"There's a good likely hood that discus are not right for you and your life style." ... You may stay in the hobby anyway because you know if you do leave the hobby..."you will think about that Flat fish everytime you see a fish tank!"
;)

n0kjf
10-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Greetings,
I just joined the forum this evening. I am thinking about getting back into discus after a 10 year interruption. I might be able to contribute an idea I came up with to reduce the potential for overflow in your aged water storage. I used a trash can to hold filtered / treated water. I created a system of pipes to hold a toilet float valve. Like many of you, I've watered my carpet more than once. Now I can leave the water on with no more fear of an overflow than you worry about your toilet tank. I've included a DropBox link to the original photos that were taken in 1997.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3z4nj07slv1u67s/AABLE2czou10VsEguodjIufga?dl=0

I hope to learn much from the group and I'll contribute when I have an idea or two.

Thanks,
Lew Heifner

duscusnovice
12-08-2014, 09:20 PM
painful lessons i hope to avoid at all cost

Dahlyvh
12-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Great thread

candymancan
01-01-2015, 09:36 PM
where is the one about how rude fish people can get ? I've been online since the 90's and im on countless forums and I gatta say fish tank people can be some seriously rude and downright nasty people... I agree the hobby gets addicting I have 8 fish tanks myself and one with 8 discus in it.. but I don't let it get to my head

RolnwitdaDISC
01-05-2015, 08:01 AM
hoping to minimize my losses

n0kjf
01-09-2015, 04:16 AM
After watering the carpet, it might grow, I rigged up a toilet float valve in my water barrel. Works great and is reliable.
Lew Heifner

CaliSlave4Discus
02-01-2015, 12:04 AM

Agreed

loltune
02-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Once the secret of keeping discus is out. They will become very very popular and the their population will explode and eventually become food for us like Tilapia. It sounds gross for now but who knows. Still I wonder does it taste better than Tilapia. Haha jk

navarro1950
04-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Another real truth is we ALL buy fish with the expectations of keep our fish alive for the duration of their life span but, unfortunately Al (brewmaster15) is correct with everything he has printed and it is truly the Cold Hard Facts.

Banzai883
04-10-2015, 06:33 AM
12 and 14 is so true. It happened to me already lol

DiscusDirect
04-11-2015, 01:40 AM
Great post AL,
Am still new at learning to care for these beautiful fishes, but I have to admit, I love it, and the cold hard facts are dead on whether it's discus or any other type of tropical fish.

nate c
05-03-2015, 09:47 PM
i didnt read this whole thread but I WOULD RECOMMEND KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE TANK........dont overthink water parameter just give them a stable enviroment

chuckiesmalls
05-09-2016, 12:00 PM
And you'll make some crazy excuse to your boss about why you must go back home (and the word fish or tank will not be part of the request!).

Non-fish people just don't understand.....sheesh

Jinx
05-12-2016, 08:40 AM
I just want to say as a current discus owner and a very fond aquarium hobbyist since age 5 that I think a lot of people make discus care seem like a burden. Honestly discus are of the cichlid family. They may be moody but they are pretty hardy. I find mainly that out of all the you tube videos and countless hours of research and what not that most people really create their own problem by heavily over stocking their tank and over feeding. I have a huge rule of thumb on that with cichlids that i have learned unfortunately the hard way. I have been raising discus for 2 years and every one of my tanks has a great heater, good filtration, thick gravel bottom, mix of easy care live plants and lots of drift wood.. Yes drift wood does lower ph and it does soften water. I keep my tanks at a steady 85 F unless I think they may have an internal parasite then it is 90 F - 92 F. I have 8 discus and 2 clown loaches in my 90 and I change 5 gallons of water weekly unless I see too much algea or have a parameter issue due to accidental over feeding which hey sometimes i second guess myself when feeding. However to be quite frank I have had these 8 discus for about 2 years. I have not lost one. The store I bought them from was a mom and pop store in fort Myers who really has an awesome honest person running it. My 90 gallon has a home made wet dry with a bag of media in the bottom of sump tank that i stole from my 55 gal tank to seed my 90 bio load and jump start. Yes I did long ago and was too lazy to put the media bag back lol. I also have a back up filter on my 90 that is really meant for a 30 but who cares it is little canister filter and it is full of media and very bottom level is yes filter pads. I also have a UV sterilizer for a 50 gallon because well I be honest I hate algae and I should get a light timer because yes I fall asleep on couch and once in a while leave the lights on way too long. I am human what can I say. Anyways back to my point you can throw tons of chemicals and listen to every so called expert in every forum and 2nd guess yourself into killing your fish or do it right. I have done this myself and lost thousands of dollars worrying myself into a tither. Best thing I can say with discus is go with what you are used to and can commit to. For me a nice thick small gravel, with some plants, lots of drift wood, some fake plants in there too makes me happy and I do again 5-10 gallon water changes weekly. I feed my discus flakes, frozen blood worms, and live black worms. just like the next guy I have a lil algae but I keep it under control. I only had a worm parasite issue one time and i bought the fish like that but no chemicals I just plain turn the heat up. I did use melafix to repair a damaged tail fin on one fish which yes it does work. My chemicals I keep on hand is ample supply of stress coat water conditioner all in one because it is nice for water changes to dechlorinate and melafix that is it. I don't use RODI water because I find it ridiculous for my fish to swim in cleaner water than i drink since I drink tap water. If i can drink my tap water then my fish can swim and poo in it and my tap water come out at 7.8 almost religiously but that is why I use drift wood. As far as the water changes I toss what ever needed for dechlorination into the water let it sit while I siphon out and dump in. I try to keep temp right that is about it. I just truly:fish::fish::fish: find conflicting and contradicting info on every website and I think people really make discus out to be super finicky and hard to care for and that it is for the advanced Aquarium hobbyist. Well let me be honest with you it is not. I think it is more the way you stock your tank. If you like a heavily over stocked tank than yea this fish is probably not for you because then you will have to pay lots of money for CO2, chemicals, filtration, do tons of water changes and craziness then really at that point you are not enjoying the hobby.
Rule of thumb I found is no less than 55 gal tank and no less than 4-6 discus and never keep odd number because one will become the third wheel. Do not over feed. I feed mine two times a day and they are 4-5" and biggest thing about feeding is turn on lights wait til fish wake up and come out spread food across tank so everyone feeds and leave lights on for at least a couple hours because they forge around tank all day cleaning the bottom up. I have a standard regimen for mine...lights on 4:30 am then i feed mine at 5 am live or frozen food leave lights on feed again at 3 pm flake food and by 4 pm lights out. it works for my schedule what can I say :) fish are happy. Best I can say is everyone can tell you a billion ways to care for your animals but the best way is to do what you think is best really.

BmoreBraap
01-26-2017, 02:18 PM
What a great sticky....I think I've experienced all of these within the first few months of Discus keeping!! But it helps to take a step back and realize not EVERYTHING is in your control and sometimes sh*t will happen and you will have some set backs! We all look at you experts as starting the hobby with the experience you have now when really, the experts have probably had more issues than they can count, and from those hands on experiences is how we learn and how you keep others from making those same mistakes. More like a journey than a hobby

Greg-Florida
02-24-2023, 01:12 PM
Very insightful, thanks Al.

LizStreithorst
02-24-2023, 01:27 PM
I can't believe that this is the first time I've read this post. It's so true. For me, the thing I love other than breeding Discus, is helping people learn these fish. Both give me great satisfaction.

Hicgup
02-24-2023, 08:55 PM
#7. Water. Isaac Newton said this; What we know is a drop, what we don’t know is an ocean. I am a professional Aquaculturist by day, which I like to remind myself in part means taking care of water. One of my great joys in life is taking care of fish so that they do what is natural. Thrive, grow, and reproduce. One of the things that attracted me to cichlids decades ago was the parental care provided by the parents. And to this day, after decades of keeping and breeding discus, (and many other fish, freshwater, saltwater, cold water, and tropical) one of the most beautiful sights in the fish world for me is watching a cloud of discus fry graze on the flanks of their parents.

brewmaster15
02-24-2023, 09:53 PM
Im really happy to see this thread back in the present. :)

one of the most beautiful sights in the fish world for me is watching a cloud of discus fry graze on the flanks of their parents. Steve, agree 100%. I never get tired of seeing it.

Liz,

For me, the thing I love other than breeding Discus, is helping people learn these fish. Both give me great satisfaction. You and me both! :)

Al

Greg-Florida
02-26-2023, 09:05 PM
#7. Water. Isaac Newton said this; What we know is a drop, what we don’t know is an ocean. I am a professional Aquaculturist by day, which I like to remind myself in part means taking care of water. One of my great joys in life is taking care of fish so that they do what is natural. Thrive, grow, and reproduce. One of the things that attracted me to cichlids decades ago was the parental care provided by the parents. And to this day, after decades of keeping and breeding discus, (and many other fish, freshwater, saltwater, cold water, and tropical) one of the most beautiful sights in the fish world for me is watching a cloud of discus fry graze on the flanks of their parents.

That's poetic. Can't wait to see my own, first fry hatched in my home.

brewmaster15
10-30-2023, 06:09 AM
Posted in 2010.. still very relevent today. :)

Greg-Florida
10-31-2023, 10:32 AM
Posted in 2010.. still very relevent today. :)

Yes, great post and thread!
Greg

brewmaster15
11-07-2023, 10:56 PM
I think this explains why hobbyists new to discus yet familar with other fish have a tough time adjusting to discus keeping.

(Credits as to where this came from originally.. somewhere in the WWW)