PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about super flamingo color

Jennie
10-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I have an SF that is gorgeous red when the lights are out in my tank, but when I turn on the lights, he fades out to a pale pink?? When I turn lights off, within 30 minutes he is back to his brilliant red color.The lights are just the standard lights that come with a fish tank when you buy them. Nothing bright and intense. What gives??
I feel like I can never view him in full color with lights on

ockyra215
10-03-2010, 10:33 AM
well this may sound stupid but try dimming the light down by covering up some of the light with some styrofoam sometimes the white light of the bulb washes color away so say if you 3ft bulb cut 3 blocks of styro about four inches long and spread them out evenly and it will dim out the amount of light in the tank.you can get a bulb that will highlight reds but then everything will look red.try the styro idea it works JMO

Jennie
10-03-2010, 10:56 AM
OK, on to something, except styro is unappealing. I can go to hobby lobby and buy colored sheets of glass, How do you think that would work. Pretty much any color(some dark) available and not a fire hazard.

Jaws
10-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I have an SF that is gorgeous red when the lights are out in my tank, but when I turn on the lights, he fades out to a pale pink?? When I turn lights off, within 30 minutes he is back to his brilliant red color.The lights are just the standard lights that come with a fish tank when you buy them. Nothing bright and intense. What gives??
I feel like I can never view him in full color with lights on
-----------------------------------------------
Geesh, sounds like you are doing the same thing to that fish that you do to females! Keep the lights off, you're so ugly you're scaring the red out of him!! Also be sure to remember, ugly people shouldn't breed. Do yourself a favor and get neutered! Hope this helps, good luck!

Eddie
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Super flamingos seem to show more pink with little red in the upper and lower half of the body. At least any flamingos I've seen anyways. If they were totally red with just the pale face then they'd be more like Red Gold Diamonds.

Jennie
10-03-2010, 06:53 PM
when lights out, super red. Lights on, he fades almost to white. frustrating

Eddie
10-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Well if I am not mistaken, flamingos are pigeon based. I might be wrong but if they are, pigeons tend to lighten up under bright lights. Unless you want to keep the lights out, you may want to pick-up another type of fish and sell the flamingo.

Jennie
10-03-2010, 06:58 PM
what other red will not fade?

Eddie
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
what other red will not fade?

This depends on the type of red that you want. A nice bright red like Red Gold Diamond, 3R2 or Red Whites. Pigeon type reds like Red Melons, Fire Reds, Marlboro Reds, velvet rouge, flamingos and some Red Gold Diamond are pigeon based. Then there are the darker reds like Red Covers Rose Reds and San Merah. Certain reds will show brighter or deeper in females, like Red Melons.

I could be wrong about flamingos being pigeon based but like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure they are.

Also take into account the foods you are feeding. This will have a great affect on how red the fish is.

Eddie

Jennie
10-03-2010, 07:30 PM
This one has a blue halo along dorsal/anal fins but the tail is clear. Got him from Kenny's August shipment. I've seen some rgd that are heavy on the red and not sure about what the 3r2 looks like, though haven't seen Kenny carry those. I have seen an 06/07 post by forrest with his newly acquired RGD breeding stock and they were sweet.
that link
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60619&highlight=reddest+fish

also feed seafood recipe, ocean nutrition, tetra color flake and Al blackworm. no more bld worms or brine

Eddie
10-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah, those are some AMAZING RGD that Forrest has. About the tails being clear, its supposed to be :o. Those are what you want IMO.

If you want to see a 3R2, they are sold by Elite Aquaria and can be found in his recent shipment pictures.

Eddie

Jennie
10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I think they should be in my tank:D

Eddie
10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I think they should be in my tank:D

I am not a big fan of reds with the off colored face, but I could probably stand to have a tank full of these ones. :D See Post #45, second picture down (below Blue Diamond).

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=82232&page=3

Jennie
10-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I know I know, I Love that one and pic 3 and 4. Actually I think those would look good in my tank too:D Not sure what strain # 3 is??

Eddie
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Pigeon based Red, most likely a Marlboro Red. Stendker Fire Reds have similar colors.

Jennie
10-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Believe me Eddie. I'm glad I'm not able to go to those shows. whooo, I'd be buying fish.

Eddie
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Believe me Eddie. I'm glad I'm not able to go to those shows. whooo, I'd be buying fish.

ME TOO!!

Jennie
10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
HUH??aren't you judging in malaysia or singapore event???:confused:

Eddie
10-03-2010, 08:23 PM
HUH??aren't you judging in malaysia or singapore event???:confused:

Yeah but I'll be there for another week following the show. :o

Jennie
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
how come?
Yeah but I'll be there for another week following the show. :o

Eddie
10-03-2010, 08:57 PM
how come?

Vacation time, chillin like a villain. ;)

Jennie
10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Whatever:mad:

Discus master
10-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Is it the fish fadding or is the light cuasing him to look diferent. In other words do you think he looks they way he dose with the light on as a part of the pigmitation looking diferent under the light then it looks diferent under no light? Or do you think the fish is actually changing colors?? I am just wondering I notice my fish colors seem to look slightly diferent under types of lighting even if I view them from diferent angles they look a little difernt to me.

Jennie
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Here he is in full color. When he's almost white I'll post a pic
http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/discuslover65/photo-4.jpg

moneyLaw
10-07-2010, 02:06 AM
I used to have a RGD from Kenny. She was the same as your SF (color faded to pink after 10-15mins when the light is turned on). I am not sure about 3R Kenny is getting this shipment. I will ask him when I see him next week about the red color fading under bright light for those strains and whether there is any strain which won't fade color when the light is on. :)

Jennie
10-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I ordered a couple from this shipment. We'll see. Probably will fade up too. These lights aren't intense though