PDA

View Full Version : Let the Fun Begin

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2010, 09:04 PM
After a week of prep work I have my new (used) Oceanic 100 gallon in my living room. It has no water yet. The sump is in the cabinet and bulkheads are hooked up so the tank is ready for it's inside leak tests. I spent last weekend cleaning tank and sump and the last week cleaning and clear coating the cabinet.

Next is inside leak tests and then sand and bio-media for the sump. The lights are on order. I'm have some Manzanita driftwood coming (this week I hope). Here's a picture of the tank. It has a black background and is drilled on both sides. It will be another week or so before I can do any aqua-scaping.

I believe this will make a killer discus tank. It's dimensions are 60x17x22 so it has good length and height. I will be moving the contents of my 46 bow front which will include plants (vals and swords), some cardinal tetras, rummy nose and three corys. The plants should give me a jump start on the cycling process but I'm in no rush. Here is picture (not a great one).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=419175&l=930a9a163d&id=100000529812409

Second Hand Pat
10-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Filled the tank and sump tonight and no leaks :) I will let it run overnight and check in the morning. Still need to find some bio-media. I struck out trying to find pot scubbies. Maybe Target or Walmart. I did get 100 lbs of pool filter sand so will rinse that tomorrow night.

Sea Hag
10-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Setting up a new tank is so much fun. I hope you have zero leaks and can post a better picture soon. ;)

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Setting up a new tank is so much fun. I hope you have zero leaks and can post a better picture soon. ;)

Thanks Sea Hag, no leaks this morning :D woo hoo. Need to find the camera :o That is a horrible picture.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
When I setup my 95 gallon wave planted/discus tank, I knew it was going to be a special tank. The substrate is thriving with roots, the fish are happy, the cleaning crew is doing a wonderful job!

The first day of filling the tank was the most nerve wracking as you mention regarding leaks. But once it sat for 2 days, I knew it was ready for the substrate and plants. Then 4 weeks later, I added the cleaning crew and then one week later the discus arrived.

I hope you have as much fun as I am.

ZX10R
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Looking good I am setting up a 120 gallon tank right now. Dimensions are 60x18x24 and I am building my own 30 gallon sump using a overflow box on the tank. I have been taking pics of the progress which seems to be going really slow. Can't wait to see some pics when you get it up and running with a lot of discus in it.

Good Luck
Sean

Discus master
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Looking good I am setting up a 120 gallon tank right now. Dimensions are 60x18x24 and I am building my own 30 gallon sump using a overflow box on the tank. I have been taking pics of the progress which seems to be going really slow. Can't wait to see some pics when you get it up and running with a lot of discus in it.

Good Luck
Sean

I am going to be getting a 110 and I have a 30 gallon all glass tank I wanted to use as my sump, what are your plans on how to build it? I would love some help with this as I have no idea how to build one. I have been learning the fundimentals about how they work and how over flow boxes work so I think I have that down. But I was told attaching something like plexi glass to the glass sides of the tank will be very hard to do that I will have to get sheets of glass cut for my sump and then use that. I did not really want to have to go that far with it but I guess I would if the cost was reasonable. Pus I would have to get my measurements perfect so its fits snug before I could seal it in. So any help would be great you can pm me with the plans if you like?? thanks in advance.

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
The first day of filling the tank was the most nerve wracking as you mention regarding leaks.

I was on pins and nettles last night and it takes a while to fill a 100 gallon. Almost like waiting for a baby to be born.

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Good Luck
Sean

Thanks Sean, good luck with your 120. Go slow and do it right. It will be worth it in the run. Do you have a thread with your progress and pictures?

My tank is a used tank and came with a sump (wet/dry), stand, canopy and a few odds and ends. The sump it came with is not the greatest but it will get the job done I hope.

ZX10R
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks Sean, good luck with your 120. Go slow and do it right. It will be worth it in the run. Do you have a thread with your progress and pictures?

My tank is a used tank and came with a sump (wet/dry), stand, canopy and a few odds and ends. The sump it came with is not the greatest but it will get the job done I hope.

Not yet but that is why I am taking all the pics. I have also built my own stand which is done just have to sand it then start staining it. Tonight I plan on plumbing in everything with pvc pipe. I am going BB with tile on the floor of the tank. My other 92 gallon corner tank has substrate and canister filters. Which to me seems like to much work cleaning all the time.

Are you putting substrate in your tank?

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Not yet but that is why I am taking all the pics. I have also built my own stand which is done just have to sand it then start staining it. Tonight I plan on plumbing in everything with pvc pipe. I am going BB with tile on the floor of the tank. My other 92 gallon corner tank has substrate and canister filters. Which to me seems like to much work cleaning all the time.

Are you putting substrate in your tank?

Yea, pool filter sand. I sort of have to, the tank is in the living room. I'm waffling on whether I want to bother with plants. If I do might build up the sand where the plants are but shallow everywhere else.

ZX10R
10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Yea, pool filter sand. I sort of have to, the tank is in the living room. I'm waffling on whether I want to bother with plants. If I do might build up the sand where the plants are but shallow everywhere else.

Not me I am getting to lazy for all that. My brothers 220 gallon tank is BB with a sump and all I hear is how much easier it is then a decorated tank. So for once I will listen and try it. Good luck will be looking forward to seeing some finished pics.

Sean

Jennie
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
yeah, someone elses!:)
I was on pins and nettles last night and it takes a while to fill a 100 gallon. Almost like waiting for a baby to be born.

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
yeah, someone elses!:)

LOL :D

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Still no leaks and have 50 lbs of sand in the tank. Might be enough. I see Kenny is posting a preview of his Oct shipment...drool, drool

ZX10R
10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I see Kenny is posting a preview of his Oct shipment...drool, drool

I agree already crying :cry: because my tank is still not done. They always have such great looking fish. Hopefully soon our tanks will be done and we can place a order with him.

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I agree already crying :cry: because my tank is still not done. They always have such great looking fish. Hopefully soon our tanks will be done and we can place a order with him.

I really like those hi body red turks. :D but :cry: must be patience and let the tank cycle and get any algae under control :cry: and ... its my birthday this month ... :cry: ...

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Finally remembered my photobucket account. Here's a better picture with a real camera. Need to finish cleaning the glass. Tank is full and filter is running.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/pa040023.jpg

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Tanks is up and running with the sump. The water from the spray bar was hitting the water and the bottom of the biomedia chamber (waiting on arrival of pot scubbies) and making quite a noise. I placed foam under the spray bar in the bio-media on some egg crate and that really reduced the noise.

I have lots of suspended particles in the water (from adding the sand bed the other night) and thinking I need to polish the water? Maybe filtering with a fine mesh bag would help?

ZX10R
10-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I better get on the ball with my tank. I just ordered 7 fish from Kenny last night. Nothing like putting a little pressure on yourself to get motivated enough to finish a project :D

Jennie
10-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Pat, if that's pool filter sand it should've settled by now.

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I better get on the ball with my tank. I just ordered 7 fish from Kenny last night. Nothing like putting a little pressure on yourself to get motivated enough to finish a project :D

Oh dear, do you have a quick way of cycling that tank. I'm guessing you have about 3 weeks. Of course I can not resist, what did you order?

ZX10R
10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Oh dear, do you have a quick way of cycling that tank. I'm guessing you have about 3 weeks. Of course I can not resist, what did you order?

I have two canister filters on my other tank each has two levels of pot scubbies. I am going to remove one level out of each and put that in the new tank sump filter to help that go quicker. The fish and ray I have now are going in the new tank and the new fish in my old tank along with some cardinal tetras and cories.

Qty
1 Albino Eruption Snakeskin
1 Red White
1 Blue Scorpion
1 Altum Florum
1 White Butterfly
1 Pearl Pigeon
1 Hi-Body Red Turk

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Pat, if that's pool filter sand it should've settled by now.

It is definitely pool filter sand. The tank is not cloudly but I can see suspended particles in the water column. I'm on well water, straight from the florida aquifer. This is the only tank with a black background so maybe I do not notice it in the other tanks? Any DIY filter pads suggestions?

Jennie
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
filter floss catches fine particles but have to change it often.

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I have two canister filters on my other tank each has two levels of pot scubbies. I am going to remove one level out of each and put that in the new tank sump filter to help that go quicker. The fish and ray I have now are going in the new tank and the new fish in my old tank along with some cardinal tetras and cories.

Qty
1 Albino Eruption Snakeskin
1 Red White
1 Blue Scorpion
1 Altum Florum
1 White Butterfly
1 Pearl Pigeon
1 Hi-Body Red Turk

Nice selection; I want pictures when you get them. Suggestion; I would throw as much biomedia in your new tank prior to the discus arriving. That's a lot of bioload. Or lots of WCs until the existing bio-media adjusts. Now when will that stand be done? :D

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2010, 02:00 PM
filter floss catches fine particles but have to change it often.

Jennie
10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
it's a cheap quick fix.

ZX10R
10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Nice selection; I want pictures when you get them. Suggestion; I would throw as much biomedia in your new tank prior to the discus arriving. That's a lot of bioload. Or lots of WCs until the existing bio-media adjusts. Now when will that stand be done? :D

Kenny told me he could hold the fish until the end of October I needed him to. I plumbed my pipes for my sump with a drain to outside and a ball valve for WC. So all I have to do is hook up a hose from my aged water open one ball valve and close the other and BAMM!!! 50 gallons changed just like that.

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Kenny told me he could hold the fish until the end of October I needed him to. I plumbed my pipes for my sump with a drain to outside and a ball valve for WC. So all I have to do is hook up a hose from my aged water open one ball valve and close the other and BAMM!!! 50 gallons changed just like that.

Sweet, my three weeks was right on.

Tito
10-07-2010, 04:27 PM
You could always buy Biospira and be totally sure you are cycled the day you introduce fish. If you spend that much money on Discus - surely you can spend money on BioSpira and garantee a cycled tank.

Oh and you introduce BioSpira into the tank the same day you introduce the fish. And dont do any water changes - follw directions on the packet.

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM

I'm still working on my WC methods but its getting better.

ZX10R
10-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm still working on my WC methods but its getting better.

Ya when you buy fish that require a lot of clean water and you find yourself doing lots of WC. It doesn't take long to come up with ideas on how to make it quicker and MUCH MUCH easier.

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I have lots of suspended particles in the water (from adding the sand bed the other night) and thinking I need to polish the water? Maybe filtering with a fine mesh bag would help?

I discovered what my suspended particles were today. They were very tiny air bubbles. I noticed a water tornado in my sump going to the top of the water to the inlet to the pump. :o Sump water level was too low.

Jennie
10-08-2010, 06:16 PM
are u cycling this tank Pat? I want to see some more progress pics:(

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I moved part of the plants from my 46 bowfront this morning and here's the result.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/Partial_Transfer.jpg

and a close up.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/Close_up.jpg

Trying to decide if I like it. Plants are Val, ozolet sword and have to look up the one in the corner. Really need to clean the front glass. Also have lots of pot scubbies in the sump thanks to a follow SD member.

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 06:33 PM
are u cycling this tank Pat? I want to see some more progress pics:(

I guess I am, adding the plants should help cycle it. There are no fish yet.

Jennie
10-08-2010, 06:56 PM
I like how they are grouped with the driftwood. Don't change it

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I like how they are grouped with the driftwood. Don't change it

Thanks DL, I do too after living with it for a while. On the other side I'm thinking about doing wood coming in from the top. I have a group of wood coming from PC1 on tues but will have to soak it first.

Jennie
10-08-2010, 07:08 PM
yeah, well, about that, you'll be soaking it a while:D

2wheelsx2
10-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Trying to decide if I like it. Plants are Val, ozolet sword and have to look up the one in the corner. Really need to clean the front glass. Also have lots of pot scubbies in the sump thanks to a follow SD member.

Plants in the corner look like Cabomba to me..

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 07:41 PM
yeah, well, about that, you'll be soaking it a while:D

That's ok, part of the fun.

Plants in the corner look like Cabomba to me..

Yes, it's listed in the receipt as Cabomba Purple (Red) Cabomba pulcherrima. It is a messy plant but it's growing for me. I doubt I have enough light to bring out the red hues.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Cabomba_Purple_Red_Cabomba_pulcherrima_p/bp007.htm

Second Hand Pat
10-09-2010, 08:46 PM
I move the rest of the plants from the 46 bow front so added to my one little corner of the tank. I was a bit surprised at how long the val is. Also moved the fish and the bio-media from the bow front's filter. Tank still looks pretty bare but that will change. I turning the bow front into a QT.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA080032.jpg

Jennie
10-09-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry, do you not have discus?? tank is looking good

Second Hand Pat
10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry, do you not have discus?? tank is looking good

Thanks DL, no discus yet. Soon maybe. Want to have the aqua-scape (two orders of manzanita) and plants settled prior to discus plus not sure if I want domestics or wilds. With wilds I need to convince myself that I can accommodate them correctly. I PMed snookin21 and he doesn't seem to think keeping wilds will be an issue.

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm making more progress on completing this tank. Found a great manzanita stump for the left hand side of the tank. The other manzanita branches coming will be draped from the top of the tank. That corner I constructed may have to move. At least I now have a plan since I know my pieces.

My hubby and I also rebuilt the canopy which came with the tank. The frame around the tank was ok but needed to be squared up and re-glued. I restrained it today and will be clear coating it later. We are replacing the top part of the canopy. it was all warped and in poor condition. The new top was cut down and sanded so it is ready for staining. The new top consists of two wood planks hinged together and will sit inside the frame. So the canopy will be two separate pieces and lighter for removing from the aquarium if needed.

Second Hand Pat
10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Got my first order of manzanita wood from PC1 today. Very nice. Thanks PC1.

Here's the group.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA110035.jpg

and then started playing.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA110036.jpg

I do not mind this...
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA110037.jpg

This one is a bit corny but love the contrast in the wood...might look better without the large piece in the middle. Also might be more discus friendly.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA110038.jpg

Dog liked this one.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/pa110039.jpg

Nice but not discus friendly
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA110045.jpg

Long and low.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA110046.jpg

ok, back to soak.

calihawker
10-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Can't wait to see to see it all setup!:)

Second Hand Pat
10-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Can't wait to see to see it all setup!:)

Me too...so excited :D

So testing Ph tonight. tap 7.6 cool, RO 6.4...and then testing the tank. It has been setup a week. Filled with all tap water...8.4 holy heck. :shocked: Now this is not city water but well water straight from the Florida aquifer. So this water sits and the Ph has it's own party. I will retest in 24 hours, I have 33 gallon filled with the stuff.

I have read about city water doing it but well water? What gives. I will never be able to do a water change from the tap. :cry: I will have two 33 gallon trash cans in my living room the rest of my life filled with aging water ready for the next 50% WC.

Len
10-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Wow, that tank looks really good. I'd sure love to see what that wood looks like in it. I just set up a 130 gal and wanted some wood like that, but I couldn't find anything that large.

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow, that tank looks really good. I'd sure love to see what that wood looks like in it. I just set up a 130 gal and wanted some wood like that, but I couldn't find anything that large.

Are you referring to the long and low picture? I had two pieces end to end (big end). I got my wood from PC1 who is a sponsor here on SD.

Harriett
10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Pat! First, great looking dog! I like how your tank is coming along and you look to have good aquascaping sensabilities!!! Not an easy thing--more of a gift I think. Anyhow, I have been reading through this thread because the back of your tank is black, so I was wondering what strain[s] of discus you are considering.....I am hoping you know that a black background will affect the color and behaviour of lots of strains. ALL pigeonbloods and their derivations like white butterflies, melons, etc will pepper so do your homework before you buy; blues and turqs will tend to darken and lose vibrancy of color. A black background seems to bring out a desire to hide and huddle in some discus...wilds tend to be more comfortable in a darker atmosphere because it is where they just got plucked from, though some may comment that you should keep wilds in a biotope only--to each their own. Another possibility would be to go with albino strains, which do not darken from backgrounds, from what I understand, and they would sure 'pop' against a black background..the first planted discus tank I had also had a black background and medium toned teeny gravel. I spent more than a reasonable amount of time wondering what was wrong with my discus and a few times treated them with antibiotics! When I discovered that a black background has its own sequelae, I drained my 180g tank, we moved it away from the wall, scraped and repainted a pale blue-green, ditched the gravel in favor of pool sand, and replanted. I moved the discus back in and it was AMAZING. They were SO much brighter and more gregarious and active--unbelievable. There is nothing like the drama of a black background in a planted tank, and I so miss that--but it just not fly with what I have in there!~again, it's all part of the learning curve. Just wanted to bring that to your attnetion in case you had not heard that info before.
Best regards,
Harriett

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Pat! First, great looking dog! I like how your tank is coming along and you look to have good aquascaping sensabilities!!! Not an easy thing--more of a gift I think. Anyhow, I have been reading through this thread because the back of your tank is black, so I was wondering what strain[s] of discus you are considering.....I am hoping you know that a black background will affect the color and behaviour of lots of strains. ALL pigeonbloods and their derivations like white butterflies, melons, etc will pepper so do your homework before you buy; blues and turqs will tend to darken and lose vibrancy of color. A black background seems to bring out a desire to hide and huddle in some discus...wilds tend to be more comfortable in a darker atmosphere because it is where they just got plucked from, though some may comment that you should keep wilds in a biotope only--to each their own. Another possibility would be to go with albino strains, which do not darken from backgrounds, from what I understand, and they would sure 'pop' against a black background..the first planted discus tank I had also had a black background and medium toned teeny gravel. I spent more than a reasonable amount of time wondering what was wrong with my discus and a few times treated them with antibiotics! When I discovered that a black background has its own sequelae, I drained my 180g tank, we moved it away from the wall, scraped and repainted a pale blue-green, ditched the gravel in favor of pool sand, and replanted. I moved the discus back in and it was AMAZING. They were SO much brighter and more gregarious and active--unbelievable. There is nothing like the drama of a black background in a planted tank, and I so miss that--but it just not fly with what I have in there!~again, it's all part of the learning curve. Just wanted to bring that to your attnetion in case you had not heard that info before.
Best regards,
Harriett

Thank Harriett for all the compliments, that's Belle in the picture. She is my just turned 2 year old lab/golden mix. She would chaim a piece of DW in a heartbeat.

Now on the background I'm sort of struck with black unless I did a background which can go in the tank. This tank is an oceanic with spillways (drilled) on both ends of the tank and the part which consists of the spillways is one piece which goes the length of the tank and it's attached to the back glass. So it also the blackground. :(

Personally I prefer blue or even green for fresh or even some of the other color combos I have seen on other members tanks. Definitely open to suggestions.

Regards discus I'm considering wilds (red spotted greens). I'm having a email conversion with snookin21 regarding their water parameter requirements, feeding etc to see if I can meet their needs. Will the tank be a biotope, not in the true sense as I will be using a few species of plants. Nothing at this point is firm.

If I go with domestics I was considering red turks. but finding I also like some of the reds and oranges I'm see (can't remember the strain names). Glad to hear that the albino strains will not pepper and I will definitely would not mind your recommendations.
Thanks, Pat

Second Hand Pat
10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I received all my wood today. I have more than I need but plenty to play with. The first picture is from PC1. These pieces are quite large. Second is from manzanita.com Third picture is me playing with positioning.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/pa170054.jpg[/URL]

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/pa170055.jpg

[URL="http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/PA170059.jpg"]

Second Hand Pat
10-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Saw stars tonight, I may have found my discus :D

Jennie
10-20-2010, 11:11 PM
OH COMEON! What, what. Don't play the suspense game now;)

Second Hand Pat
10-20-2010, 11:52 PM
OH COMEON! What, what. Don't play the suspense game now;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=82796

Still working out details but this big tank may be BB and plant less for a while.

Second Hand Pat
10-21-2010, 10:31 PM
So I finalized with Dale tonight. I will be getting some of his Japura RSG spawn towards the end of November so yep, will be raising juvies. OK, so I'm nuts, I admit, but just watching his pair brings tears to my eyes. Can hardly wait.

In the meantime I am taking this tank and losing the plants and going BB. Also will be cutting a egg crate divider to keep the youngsters in a smaller area of the tank while they are little. Also will be taping a light background to the outside bottom of the tank so it doesn't look like a big black hole.

All the plants will return to the 46 bow front so I can still play with a planted tank. Maybe do rams in it.

Second Hand Pat
10-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Have about 2/3 of the sand removed and have added some of PC1 manzanita DW. I need to play with that a bit more as I do not like it yet. The tank is a lot cleaner without the plants but is quite dark looking. Seriously considering a slimline background to lighten the whole tank.

So this tank is doing a very slow crawl to a biotype, a year in the making.

Jennie
10-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I just want to see pics, so quit changing it up on me

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I just want to see pics, so quit changing it up on me

Hey DL, I will post some pictures this weekend.

I'm stilling fighting with the DW and it's winning. :mad: I'm considering attaching some of it together (not sure how). Also ordered a slimline background and finished the canopy. I love the canopy but it's a beast to get into.

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Pictures are not great so here is a full tank shot. Finished the canopy and it gives a nice finished look. I messed around with the DW and do not mind the current aqua-scape.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/Discus%20Tank/PA280074.jpg

Little closer, tannin from the wood make the pictures dark. Need to move the heater also.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/Discus%20Tank/PA280079.jpg

Jennie
10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I like I like!!!!!:D

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I like I like!!!!!:D

Thanks, me too. Looks way better in person.

Dave B
11-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Nice! I like the lighter round rocks too. Gotta find some like that for me. Mine are all dark grey.

Second Hand Pat
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Nice! I like the lighter round rocks too. Gotta find some like that for me. Mine are all dark grey.

Pond pebbles from Home Depot.

Also this tank is up for a redo with weekend. My slimline background arrives today and I also have more manzanita wood ready (fully submerged). Should be a fun weekend.

TURBOFROG
11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah I just went to a lanscape supply place and got river rock. I was able to get big and small and good color to.

Second Hand Pat
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah I just went to a lanscape supply place and got river rock. I was able to get big and small and good color to.

Me too. Check this out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGleTattRo&feature=related

Look how they did the rockwork. Should be able to do something like this in our tanks.

roclement
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
that's my basement...! Just kidding!

Rodrigo

Second Hand Pat
11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
that's my basement...! Just kidding!

Rodrigo

I wish it was my livingroom.

Second Hand Pat
11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Here's the new background. Make the tank look quite different than the black hole it was. This background is a fair amount of work, mainly cutting it correctly. Looks better in person.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Discus%20Tank/Discus%20Tank/pb060098.jpg

Jennie
11-07-2010, 07:16 PM
wait, is this on the outside??

Second Hand Pat
11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
inside, just between the overflows