PDA

View Full Version : Changing an existing background

saltydog
10-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Ok so my existing background is painted black. Is there any suggested ways to change that with my 180 gallon full of water :). It is up against the wall at this point.

I do not want to have to empty the tank and move it to scrape the paint and redo if i do not have to. The stand and canopy is solid ok and by itself weighs as much as the tank empty. Not to mention weight of the sump and equipment underneath.

So i was wondering if there were any type of colored acrylic that can be put inside the tank on the back wall or if anyone else has ever done anything else. And if so is there anyway to put them in place without silicone?

I may be asking the impossible but hey it does not hurt to ask.

Thanks

ZX10R
10-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Well since it is painted you don't have much of a choice put to pull the tank out and scrape the paint off. I wouldn't ever try and paint the inside no matter what paint it is. Another choice maybe to get a 3D background that goes inside the tank and will cover the painted back. You can get some thin sections you piece together from www.designsbynature.net for around $40 each section. Might cost you $120 total for a couple sections but the 3D backgrounds look great and no dealing with scraping or painting.

Just a thought :)

saltydog
10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah I would never try and paint the inside. I thought about the 3d backgrounds and may try that but never thought they would be that cheap for a 72 inch tank. I will have to take another look. Thanks. I thought for sure more people would have gone through something like this. I am definitely not pulling the tank out. If i have to do that it will have to stay black until I end up breaking it down for some reason and that ain't happening anytime soon ;) I was thinking you may could buy thin pieces of blue acrylic somewhere.

Thanks for the link and input

Jennie
10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Is your tank on wood floors. I've moved my 125 and oak stand( drained to 5 inches with discus in it) by myself and I am only 5'2' and weigh only XXX lbs!:)

saltydog
10-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I do have wood floors. WOW!! Kudos!!! I had my stand and canopy made of solid oak too and like i mentioned it weighs as much if not more than my 180 tank. Also I have a sump underneath to consider. I just do not think i would be able to budge it. I could barely hold one side of my canopy up long enough without my arms starting to do the tremble thing....LOL, for some one else to put my driftwood in and i consider myself a pretty strong gal ;). Of course it couldmhave also been the height at which i was holding it. Anyway sliding it out may be a little different but this is one large piece of furniture...not to mention the scars on the floor....but maybe i will give it a try if i cannot find another alternative.