PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Dispenser

NZ_Discus
10-06-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm planning to create a fully automatic water changing system, as in "fully". Before my tap water reaches the aquarium/s it needs to be dosed with certain additives I like to put in e.g. 6.5 ph(keeps the ph at 6.5) and API Stress-coat (proven to take out 40% of stress from fish). In order to achieve an automatic system I need something to dose the water containers (containers before they got to the aquariums).
Does any of you know of a product Im talking about?
I have seen some timeable liquid dosers but I also need one for solids.

winschuc
10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
why not try an auto feeder with your additive in it?

NZ_Discus
10-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I might... But it needs exact (up to 1 ml deviation). I don't think that automatic feeders handles fine materials (it's like flour). But ill try looking.

LizStreithorst
10-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Why not use good clean water? Why on God's earth would you want to add a chemical to keep your pH at 6.5 when Discus do well in a wide range of pH? Stress Coat is snake oil. You are turning something easy into something unnecessairly complicated.

NZ_Discus
10-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Because if I don't add a the 6.5 ph my tap water would have a 7.2 ph and last time I checked discus are acidic fishes.

Eddie
10-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Because if I don't add a the 6.5 ph my tap water would have a 7.2 ph and last time I checked discus are acidic fishes.

7.2 is fine, some keep them with a PH around 8. And yes, discus from the wild are found in acidic waters but domestic discus are from their wild nature. They've been raised for generations in hard water. So unless you are going wild caught, don't mess with your PH by adding chemicals.

ZX10R
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
I have had domestic discus in 7.8 PH for 11 months now and they are doing great. Not growing as fast or as big as I would like but that is a nother issue that I believe I know the answer to.

BOBT00LS
10-08-2010, 03:38 PM
The city water that Rod and I use has a PH of 7.5 and a TDS of 150 ppm. We use it straight from the tap and all we add is SAFE. Our fish spawn regularly and grow very well. Keep it simple ! Problems arise when messing with PH and TDS.

Bob

Tito
10-08-2010, 06:16 PM
The city water that Rod and I use has a PH of 7.5 and a TDS of 150 ppm. We use it straight from the tap and all we add is SAFE. Our fish spawn regularly and grow very well. Keep it simple ! Problems arise when messing with PH and TDS.

Bob

here here.

ockyra215
10-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I agree with everyone use the good old K.I.S.S. method and it will all be fine.
Dont get tricked into voodoo items LFS push on you most of it is just as stated snake oil! JMO:D

NZ_Discus
10-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Actually a breeder/friend (probably in the top 3 best breeder in the whole NZ) taught me about Stress-coat those two things I mentioned above are the only things I put in my aquarium.

NZ_Discus
10-09-2010, 06:01 AM
I looked at some Strees-coat reviews and none of them was negative. People often compares it with prime (seachem) and it can be used as a water conditioner.
Do you guys think that peat is good for lowering ph? I hace read that it releases a small amount of metals and tannins (I don't really care about tannins because it's natural anyway). Any suggestions?

Eddie
10-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I looked at some Strees-coat reviews and none of them was negative. People often compares it with prime (seachem) and it can be used as a water conditioner.
Do you guys think that peat is good for lowering ph? I hace read that it releases a small amount of metals and tannins (I don't really care about tannins because it's natural anyway). Any suggestions?

Sure, peat can soften your water and bring down your PH. Are you trying to breed? If not, there is no need for peat either.

David Rose
10-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Keep it simple unless you want to breed and need a more controlled environment to reach your goals; otherwise, you're just throwing away good money. ;)

NZ_Discus
10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm planning to breed next year. I'm just currently learning. I'm gonna start with some leopards.

David Rose
10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
You'll be in great shape by next year taking time to learn now and read...read...read. Kudos to you doing your homework first....LOL!

All the best to you!