PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2028 leaking - anyone have the same problem?

DonMD
10-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I looked in the dining room this morning (fortunately), and saw that the water level had dropped just a little bit in my 125g tank that I'm fishless cycling.

I opened the door and found the plastic bin I keep the filter in almost overflowing! Turned off the pump and pulled it out, dried everything and reinstalled. An hour later, I'm seeing this fine thread of water coming out of the pump head where the cord exits.

Of course Eheim customer support is closed today, Columbus Day. Anyone have a similar experience? -Don in Virginia

deepflyball
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I have had them for years and never had a problem. ? Take the top off and see if your lined it up right. ( pump gasket or seal as well as your head seal). Also check your baskets and make sure the are not preventing a tight seal. Also check to see if you kinking a hose.

Jerry

Fish Finatics
10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Ernesto from Eheim should be in tommorrow. I had a similar problem with my Pro 3E and called for support. Ernesto was very, very helpful and concerned that the pumphead itself was not leaking. The water was backing up into the pumphead and leaking out the same area as your's is. It was because of a defective primer. Ernesto sent us a free new primer system. You do have to have a special screwdriver, I forget what Ernesto called it.

Good Luck:)

cvtbenhogan
10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Had a similar issue with my eheim 2328 and was really concerned. Anyway ordered a $19 gasket from big ALS. No leaks at all after the new gasket. Didn't even have to grease the gasket. Interestingly the old gasket had a slimmer thickness than the new one. I figure the water over time erodes the rubber.

Now if I can only get the thermocontroller to work properly. I do like eheims

nc0gnet0
10-11-2010, 05:30 PM
I would bet decent money the leak is coming from the silly primer seal. PITA

jimmyjoe
10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I have two of these and some of the same problems, check and make sure the leak isn't from the rubber gasket on the top part of the unit. Another place is the in and out feed also on top of the Eheim, I've had cracks sometimes there that I had to replace. Make sure every part is lined up just like was suggested, HTH. Jim in Ohio

DonMD
10-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I have had them for years and never had a problem. ? Take the top off and see if your lined it up right. ( pump gasket or seal as well as your head seal). Also check your baskets and make sure the are not preventing a tight seal. Also check to see if you kinking a hose.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry, I did all that. The leak is from above the seal, but below the top of the pump head.

Ernesto from Eheim should be in tommorrow. I had a similar problem with my Pro 3E and called for support. Ernesto was very, very helpful and concerned that the pumphead itself was not leaking. The water was backing up into the pumphead and leaking out the same area as your's is. It was because of a defective primer. Ernesto sent us a free new primer system. You do have to have a special screwdriver, I forget what Ernesto called it.

Good Luck:)

That's exactly right! I spoke with Ernest today, he's put a part in the mail. for my pump he thinks it's the "maintenance indicator" and the replacement will come with instructions on how to disassemble the pump head and make the replacement.

I have two of these and some of the same problems, check and make sure the leak isn't from the rubber gasket on the top part of the unit. Another place is the in and out feed also on top of the Eheim, I've had cracks sometimes there that I had to replace. Make sure every part is lined up just like was suggested, HTH. Jim in Ohio

Thanks, but I've ruled those out. I will say that after waiting only about 60 seconds, I got through to Ernest, and once he established that I bought the pump from a reputable dealer (he didn't need any proof), he diagnosed the problem. It's only leaking about a pint every 24 hours, or less, and so I'm hoping he's right. Good service so far.

Howard
10-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I have an extra 2026 Pro II in good working condition for Sale.. Email Scott