PDA

View Full Version : Sera Discus Granules

diadiscus
10-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Have anyone try the Sera Discus Color Granules yet? Here is the overview of the food.

Sera Discus Granules
Ingredients
Fish Meal, Wheat Meal, Mussel Meal, Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Brewer's Yeast, Spirulina Algae, Herring Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamins, and Colorant (Ponceau 4R).
Added Vitamin per Pound
Vitamin A 16,300 IU
Vitamin D3 900 IU
Vitamin E 54 IU
Vitamin B1 18 mg
Vitamin B2 41 mg
Stabilized Vitamin C 250 mg
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 46.2% min.
Crude Fat 6.2% min.
Crude Fiber 3.7% max.
Moisture 7.6% max.
Crude Ash 11.2% max.
Feeding Guide
Feed several times daily, but only as much as the fish can consume within three minutes. Do not overfeed.
Sera Discus Color Granules
Sera Blue Ingredients: Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Wheat Germ Meal, Wheat Gluten, Spirulina, Spinach, Sea Algae, Fish Oil, and Vitamins.
Sera Red Ingredients: Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Wheat Germ Meal, Wheat Gluten, Spirulina, Stinging Nettle, Sea Algae, Fish Oil, and Vitamins.
Added Vitamins (per lb; both formulas)
Vitamin A 16,300 IU
Vitamin D3 900 IU
Vitamin E 54 IU
Vitamin B1 18 mg
Vitamin B2 41 mg
Stabilized Vitamin C 250 mg
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 48.5% min.
Crude Fat 6.7% min.
Crude Fiber 1.9% max.
Moisture 6.0% max.
Crude Ash 10.4% max.
Feeding Guide: Feed several times daily, but only as much as the fish can consume within three minutes. Do not overfeed.

seanyuki
10-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Great stuffs and have used them in the past but not usually available in many lfs......a bit expensive compare to other brands of fish foods.

scottishbloke
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM
This was the first "specifically for discus" food I ever tried when I got my first fish in July 2009. Unfortunately, my discus have never eaten it, not even once. The pellets sank slowly to the bottom; a few of the fish would approach it as if to sample it, then would turn their noses up at it and swim away without even bothering to mouth any of it. I tried many times to feed it, sometimes soaking it to soften it up a bit for the fish and feeding nothing else, but the fish have always refused it and I still have the 3/4 full container of it now. The only things that liked it were some Macrobrachium lanchesterii shrimp I kept for a while before they grew big and started hunting my Cardinals at night. The granules are probably no good anymore, and likely need to be tossed. A waste of $10 :(

Just my experience- your fish may love them, even if mine did not.

Colin

jerzguy
10-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I am using and my discus eats them. They are not crazy about it but will finish them. The box says it is specific to the color of the discus but I dont see any difference. I go to Hiddenreef in levittown PA and they a BIG section for Sera products and is not expensive.

Thanks

David Rose
10-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Good to hear more feedback. I know I've tried to get these products at a member's request and have been playing phone tag.

roclement
10-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I use them and highly recomend them. Very difficult to find now, ebay has vendors that have them and ther Hidden Reef still has left over stock. I bought a lot just to make sure I have stock for a couple of months to come.

Rodrigo

phat nguyen
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I am currently using both of the products.... (for all Discus and for blue discus.)

These are my observation:

* More pricey. More than $20/1 lb of sera granules versus $ 8-10/10.58 oz of Tetra color bits.
* Don't stain the water. Stay together for a longer period.
* Not much different in weigh gain.
* Discus are not too interest in the products.
* I mixed the blue sera and Tetra color bits, the discus always finished the tetra colors bits first.

HTHs,

Perry :angel: :angel: :angel:

diadiscus
10-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. FYI, Foster and Smith is having the sales right now if you want to get some.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+20024+21873&pcatid=21873

MSD
10-16-2010, 12:56 PM
1st rule of fish food for me is it has to be easy to get. Why reinvent the wheel, they eat Tetra color bits very well, they are everywhere and not expensive. And the fish do extremely well with them as proven by years of sucessful use. Thats good enough for me.

roclement
10-16-2010, 02:10 PM
1st rule of fish food for me is it has to be easy to get. Why reinvent the wheel, they eat Tetra color bits very well, they are everywhere and not expensive. And the fish do extremely well with them as proven by years of sucessful use. Thats good enough for me.

great point!

MSD
10-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks, I am very simple. :D

CliffsDiscus
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I am currently using both of the products.... (for all Discus and for blue discus.)

These are my observation:

* More pricey. More than $20/1 lb of sera granules versus $ 8-10/10.58 oz of Tetra color bits.
* Don't stain the water. Stay together for a longer period.
* Not much different in weigh gain.
* Discus are not too interest in the products.
* I mixed the blue sera and Tetra color bits, the discus always finished the tetra colors bits first.

HTHs,

Perry :angel: :angel: :angel:

Hi Perry,
Check with James, he is closing his store, Sera at half price.

Cliff