PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a PLC in their fishroom?

MGKelly
10-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Planning on building a small fishroom with automated W/C.
Anyone use a PLC?

thanks, Joe

Vince C
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Joe,
I use the "Click" plc by Automation Direct to control two tanks. I use the contacts of the plc to energize cube relays which control the pump & solenoid valves. I use pvc manual valves as safety backup so the control is semi-automatic. Will be expanding the plc system in the near future.
Vince

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
If you have the capabilities to run PLC in your fishroom, go for it. We use it a lot on most of our large installations to monitor/maintain certain parameters.

-Ryan

ZX10R
10-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Joe,
I use the "Click" plc by Automation Direct to control two tanks. I use the contacts of the plc to energize cube relays which control the pump & solenoid valves. I use pvc manual valves as safety backup so the control is semi-automatic. Will be expanding the plc system in the near future.
Vince

Can't go wrong with Automation Direct. We use the crap out of there stuff at work. We don't use any Click line we use the 205 series PLC with Think & Do software. I have thought about automating my stuff but the cost out ways the small set-up of tanks I have.

MGKelly
10-19-2010, 02:16 AM
thank you very much for the replies!

I'm looking to automate 8 tanks 6 -75's and 2 -40's. I'm went to automation direct and not quite sure what type of modules i'll need.
I guess i'll be using the Ac/DC delays?

what would you guys suggest for the above setup, I plan on using 2 water storage tanks?

Still haven't made up my mind of the water change method, but i'm leaning toward an over flow.

thanks again, Joe

Kingdom Come Discus
10-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Can you post the web site please?

FischAutoTechGarten
12-03-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.automationdirect.com

I like their stuff too. The DL205 series has the best collection of options. Host engineering is also rumored to be working on a new CPU (D2-270?) that will be a huge leap from the D2-260. You could even wire in your own pH probes cheap if you sprung for the 4-channel 16bit millivolt/thermocouple i/o module. You'd just have to program a calibration routine and either add buttons or an HMI to set the upper & lower limits. If you really want to trick out a tank with serious automation (lighting-moon phases, feeders, water changes, nutrient dosing, CO2 dosing, etc...), you'll spend way more on control hardware/software than you ever will on tank & fish.

I've really enjoyed working with Rockwell Automation's CompactLogix L35 PLC, but price is substantial.

Who knows....maybe someday I'll get back into a discus planted tank and automate the whole thing. Living in Mexico now.....their are just better causes to pursue with my money. But, as it is, after a near 6 year haitus, out of necessity, I've been yanked backed into all things computer and automation controls! Seriously considering teaching automation and controls in my school (www.espanglish.com.mx) and using a stream/pond/aquarium as the mock factory/process for the student lab... Just can't get any vendors excited enough to donate any automation & controls hardware/software to the cause..

kuskus78
12-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Im new to the automation and looking to get into it. Any pointers or drawings of what you did to your tank?