PDA

View Full Version : How long to bath new plants in PP?

cp21506
10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I am just about to start a PP bath for my new plants. But from reading old threads, I came across people who said they soaked them overnight while some just soaked them for 10-15 mins. What is the recommended soak time? I know it also depends on how much PP. I have no way of telling how many ppm of PP I will have. But I was told just make it a light pink solution and soak the plants. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Jennie
10-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I would do overnight and rinse thoroughly in dechlorinated water then let them sit few more days.

seanyuki
10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Just sharing

You can also try hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) to disinfectant plants.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumPlants.html

PP dip

NEW PLANT DIPS:

It is always a good idea to dip your plants prior to addition to your aquarium to prevent addition of strains of algae, disease, and unwanted snails.

• Flourish Excel which contains aldehydes can be used in a 20 minute dip at 20 ml. per 40 L (10 gallons). This is effective for algae, many diseases and somewhat for snails.
• Bleach used in a 20 parts water to 1 part bleach for 2-3 minutes for delicate plants and 4-5 minutes for broad leaf plants; followed by a quick dip in sodium Thiosulfate or other de-chlorinator/ water mixture.
• Potassium Permanganate in a solution of water and enough Potassium Permanganate to turn you water pink for 20 minutes is also effective for many algae, diseases and usually snails.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumPlants.html

cp21506
10-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks! I had gone ahead and done a PP bath for the plants overnight. They seem to be ok. Will condition them for a few more days. Thanks for all the great advices!

RudeDogg1
10-22-2010, 04:12 PM
after soaking in pp and rinsing them do you just leave them in a bucket of water for a day or so?

Harriett
10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Set up a bucket of water, tap in a couple of PP crystals enough to turn the water pink and stir it, soak the plants as was already suggested timewise, rinse well in clean water. You can use a little sodium thiosulphate crystal or truely you can skip that, just rinse them well, and you are done. Dip them, rinse them, plant them. You don't have to over think this, or over-science this, really.
My opinion,
Harriett

RudeDogg1
10-27-2010, 03:09 PM
cheers

billybob
10-28-2010, 05:35 AM
I used to soak them for half an hour or more which I used to think was overkill.

Until a snail got through and my tank got infested with no safe way to kill them apart from starting again. I'll only do overnight now and then QT them for a few days to make sure. Yes its overkill, but the risk isn't worth it, especially for a tank full of discus.

Harriett
11-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I used to soak them for half an hour or more which I used to think was overkill.

Until a snail got through and my tank got infested with no safe way to kill them apart from starting again. I'll only do overnight now and then QT them for a few days to make sure. Yes its overkill, but the risk isn't worth it, especially for a tank full of discus.

If snails are a concern [when aren't they?] you can try this: go to the baking isle at the grocery store and buy some ALUM. Put about 3 teaspoons in about 1/2 g of water, soak the plants in it for a half hour....no more live snails. It's an old trick, works very well.
Best regards,
Harriett

Skip
11-18-2011, 11:56 PM
If snails are a concern [when aren't they?] you can try this: go to the baking isle at the grocery store and buy some ALUM. Put about 3 teaspoons in about 1/2 g of water, soak the plants in it for a half hour....no more live snails. It's an old trick, works very well.
Best regards,
Harriett

giving this a try :)

chevyguy86
12-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Just joined this forum and I was reading some articles, and I was reading this and laughing, can someone please clarify that PP is NOT a bodily fluid? What is PP?

sorry to sound like a noob, I have had tanks (marine) for 20 years, and I have had my 100g planted discus tank for almost a year and just starting to get into the more advanced stuff. Just installed a pressurized CO2 kit from GLA.

BoiseDiscusGuy
12-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Potassium Permanganate

Len
12-04-2011, 10:54 PM
after soaking in pp and rinsing them do you just leave them in a bucket of water for a day or so?

I don't. I just soak them in water dosed heavily with dechlor for a short while, then rinse them well in clean water. Hydrogen peroxide will also neutralize pp so you could use that instead but either way a few minutes will do the trick.

jimg
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM
i put them in a separate tank treat them with flubendazole while I'm acclimating them to whatever tank their going in. this gives me a chance to fertilize and get them rooting again.

chevyguy86
12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Potassium Permanganate

Thank you!