PDA

View Full Version : Female Heckel Spawning

David J
10-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Hello Heckel lovers!

A couple things before I start:
1. I am not an expert at anything!
2. I am limited to one planted community aquarium only.
3. I am posting here in case there is something that may be of use to the real experts.

I have had discus for four years. I started with two wild Heckel as a surprise gift from my wife, then added five blue brilliants. The blues spawned on a regular basis, but created havoc in the tank, so I decided last year to sell all the discus but a pair of blues, just to see if they could raise fry. Just before the sale, a male blue spawned with a female Heckel so I decided to keep those two instead. They have spawned a few times since, but they never made it to the wiggler stage. They spawned again today, so I decided to document as much as possible in case it is useful to any of you.

- 75 gallon four foot tank, Eheim Pro II filter, #4 Hydrosponge filter, 220 W of 8000 K light, 16 hours at half power, 3 hours at full during mid-day. (I am thinking of trying a mid-day dark period to discourage algae).
- Cardinal tetras, flame tetras, dwarf frogs, tiger loaches, siamese algae eaters, chinese algae eaters (I want to get rid of these), snails, assassin whelks, cherry shrimp, amano shrimp.
- fully planted with swords, crypts, java fern, anubias, marsilea quadrifolia, duckweed, Flourish excel and Flourish at 10 mL per week, fertilizer tabs, Indian almond leaf twice a month. I am going to start a mild EI routine.
- Black eco-complete gravel (I think), lots of wood, no vacuuming of substrate.
- 15 gallons changed once a week with very soft tap water (Vancouver, B.C.), temperature 28°C, pH 6.4-6.6, nitrates at 5-10 ppm.

Here are some pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.ca/117931735630385563126/Spawn#

David

David J
10-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Forgot to add feeding regime:
Bloodworms, brine shrimp, Hikari sinking wafers daily, plus the occasional baby cherry shrimp.

ockyra215
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
SO far so good,Good luck with the spawn!

William Palumbo
10-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Quite the feat to actually get a female Heckel to actually lay eggs. All the best with the spawn. Curious what the fry will turn out like...Bill

Eddie
10-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Nice shots, those 2 would make a nice mix I think.

Good luck!

David J
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Day three: Female ate all the eggs even though the male was trying to dissuade her. Now I know why they have never made it to the wiggler stage.

William Palumbo
10-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear. Next time separate her, or cover the eggs with something. The male alone should tend the fry no problem. Better luck next time...Bill

April
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
did the eggs get dark? or at least a dark spot? they look dead to me.
let us know..how it goes. if the female keeps eating you may need to move her or screen the eggs. good way to see if fertile.

Moon
10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I could not see clearly from the pics if the female was a pure or Heckel cross.

kaceyo
10-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I could not see clearly from the pics if the female was a pure or Heckel cross.
Same here. Do you have any clear pics of the female?

David J
10-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi all
Here are some better pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/117931735630385563126/Heckel#

David J
10-31-2010, 07:59 PM
did the eggs get dark? or at least a dark spot? they look dead to me.
let us know..how it goes. if the female keeps eating you may need to move her or screen the eggs. good way to see if fertile.

They went darker and translucent as opposed to bright and opaque, although there were a few that stayed opaque. I will pay more attention to the colour of the eggs next time.

David J
10-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Same here. Do you have any clear pics of the female?

Pics on the way....

bonsai dave
10-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey David. tank is looking great. Keep up the good work. I have seen the fish in person and the female is a wild heckel and not a heckel cross..

wendy9722
11-06-2010, 03:04 PM
What color are the eggs supposed to be once fertilized? I just got a breeding pair and not sure what it looks like when they are spawning. I know they shimmy n shake at times. Nothing consistant though. I know the boy likes to stay by her side or under her. He is the follower in everything she does.

Apistomaster
11-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Wendy,
The egg colors of Discus can vary quite a bit from translucent and colorless to red. Their diet probably has a lot to do with it as is the case among Apistogramma. Apistogramma produce nearly colorless, yellowish to brick red.
This small pair of Stendker Brilliant Turquoise spawned about 10 days after they arrived and produced brick red eggs.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/StendkerBrilliantTu0004.jpg
This Manacapuru Blue spawned with a Red Turquoise and produced translucent ink eggs.
Visible just above the male's head.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/P3220002.jpg

Infertile eggs, regardless of the initial color immediately after spawning, will turn opaque white and if not immediately eaten will soon show fungal growth on them. It takes Discus eggs about 60 hours to hatch but within 24-30 hours the infertile eggs will become obvious.