PDA

View Full Version : Slimline Backgrounds By Designs By Nature

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I am considering one of these.

http://www.designsbynature.net/products-page/slimline-bgs/

Does anyone have one installed? Do you like it, dislike it, hard to clean? Considerations for placement in a BB tank? Suggestions on sealing sides and bottom in an established tank.

My show tank has a black background which I can not change. I understand a black background can cause discus to darken and even be more shy so I seek to change it if possible before the discus arrive.

Harriett
10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Did you get my email, Pat? There is a thread here with great pics that I sent you because it is one of the clearest visual descriptions of how to set it up that I have seen. If that didn't come through, let me know and I will resend.
Talk soon,
H

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Harriett, Could you resent. I did not see it. Thanks, Pat

Harriett
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Did you get my email, Pat? There is a thread here with great pics that I sent you because it is one of the clearest visual descriptions of how to set it up that I have seen. If that didn't come through, here it is again. We can talk through some ideas this week--
H

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=83201

RudeDogg1
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
personaly i prefer the original back to nature ones but the thats what ive got lol

RudeDogg1
10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Harriet that not a slim line one or design by nature but is helpfull none the less. I might do a how to when i fit mine this week

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Did you get my email, Pat? There is a thread here with great pics that I sent you because it is one of the clearest visual descriptions of how to set it up that I have seen. If that didn't come through, here it is again. We can talk through some ideas this week--
H

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=83201

Thanks Harriett :D

Jennie
10-26-2010, 04:24 PM
love this one Pat

BJ28WA

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2010, 04:35 PM
love this one Pat

BJ28WA

I was considering this one BJ32WA, it has a bit more red in it. But your choice might be easier to match three pieces together and give a decent variety. Think I need three to cover the length I need.

Harriett
10-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Harriet that not a slim line one or design by nature but is helpfull none the less. I might do a how to when i fit mine this week

Yes, I know it's not a slimline, RD...however, for installation purposes, it has one of the best pictoral step by steps I have seen, with some great ideas added--like setting the background up on pink foam which incidentally raises the 20" height of the product for those of us with larger tanks that are 22+ inches high and are planning a substrate in the tank; I like the very clean tight line it creates which we can silicone to the tank floor, creating a nice tight bond; I appreciate the nice method for reattaching pieces that we have had to cut apart to get past our heavy glass center bars, etc. OK? I would also be interested to see a how-to from you, always watching and learning.
My best regards to you.

Pat, glad that was helpful for you, girlie.

Best regards to all,
Harriett

RudeDogg1
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
No prob I'm hoping to do a set up diary wether I'll remember is another thing. I also want to try and do something different and extend the background on to the sides by using 2 of the smaller sections. Wether this will work or be doable I won't know till the back is in

shyro77
10-26-2010, 07:43 PM

Does anyone have one installed? Do you like it, dislike it, hard to clean? Considerations for placement in a BB tank? Suggestions on sealing sides and bottom in an established tank.

My show tank has a black background which I can not change. I understand a black background can cause discus to darken and even be more shy so I seek to change it if possible before the discus arrive.

Here is a link some other peeps installed

http://trophs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6186

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, I know it's not a slimline, RD...however, for installation purposes, it has one of the best pictoral step by steps I have seen, with some great ideas added--like setting the background up on pink foam which incidentally raises the 20" height of the product for those of us with larger tanks that are 22+ inches high and are planning a substrate in the tank; I like the very clean tight line it creates which we can silicone to the tank floor, creating a nice tight bond; I appreciate the nice method for reattaching pieces that we have had to cut apart to get past our heavy glass center bars, etc. OK? I would also be interested to see a how-to from you, always watching and learning.
My best regards to you.

Pat, glad that was helpful for you, girlie.

Best regards to all,
Harriett

I really liked the pink form idea for the sides also. I want a nice clean tight seam on the sides and bottom. Thanks Harriett for pointing out that thread.

Harriett
10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
P-
You betcha.
H

shyro77
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM

There are some install posts on trophs dot com for the slimline BG'S I tried posting this yesterday but I guess it wasn't approved??

Second Hand Pat
10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
There are some install posts on trophs dot com for the slimline BG'S I tried posting this yesterday but I guess it wasn't approved??

Was it this one.

http://trophs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6186

Matt from design by nature mentioned this in regards to a email query.

So here's another question. Once installed, the slimline have about a mm or 2 space behind the background (according to Matt from design by nature). Could this be a place for anarobic bateria?

Jennie
10-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I was just wondering that myself, after reading another thread on resin ornaments.

Second Hand Pat
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
I was just wondering that myself, after reading another thread on resin ornaments.

Same here reading the same thread.

Jennie
10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Wonder too about slime buildup on the back of the material, but I know nothing about these.

RudeDogg1
10-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Or just apply enough silicone for there to be no gap ;0)

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Or just apply enough silicone for there to be no gap ;0)

Thanks RD, I did some research and found that to be the general recommendation.

Also had a weak moment and ordered the BJ32WA Mesa (DL there were only two panels of the BJ28WA available) This is being installed on a established tank so silicone is not an option.

I ordered three panels to run about 48 inches. I suppose the background could be popped out and cleaned every couple of months (pain in the tush to do that).

RudeDogg1
10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
fitted my back to nature slimline yesterday + a lil customising will start my journal tomoz watch this space

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2010, 05:03 PM
fitted my back to nature slimline yesterday + a lil customising will start my journal tomoz watch this space

Cool, your tank is not up and running yet, right? Which slimline did you get.

RudeDogg1
10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
no not till around the 20th (payday lol), its a back to nature (aquaterra) red genisis slimline and i think it looks pretty **** hot even if i do say so myself and my customising bits look good

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2010, 06:17 PM
no not till around the 20th (payday lol), its a back to nature (aquaterra) red genisis slimline and i think it looks pretty **** hot even if i do say so myself and my customising bits look good

Have a link? I cannot seem to find it online. You care to post a picture or are you waiting for your build thread?

RudeDogg1
10-30-2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.backtonature.se/english/slimline.html there u go

Jennie
10-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Whatever you choose, it's going to look great!:)

Second Hand Pat
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Here's the backgorund installed. Iphone picture but gives the idea.

ZX10R
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I am jealous that looks so nice. I wish sometimes I would of stuck to my original plans and done a 3D background on my tank when I set it up :(

Second Hand Pat
11-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I am jealous that looks so nice. I wish sometimes I would of stuck to my original plans and done a 3D background on my tank when I set it up :(

Thanks Sean, I installed this on an established tank. It's not too late. Note that this is a slimline with less than an inch of thickness.

ZX10R
11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I put on a seaview background and used that seaview oil stuff to make it look better. Well it did make it look better but after 3 weeks it has started to fall off. Not sure what I am going to do kind of hard to move a tank full of fish and water away from the wall to fix it.