PDA

View Full Version : How to set up a pump system

PAR23
10-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I use a heavy duty 44 gallon Rubber Maid to age my water....it is located in the basement. I perform W/C now by carring buckets up and down the stairs:(. My tanks are located through out the house....both first and second floor.

How and what do I need to set up a system to pump water from my aged barrel to my tanks? ie what types of pump, hosing etc.

Thanks

AirCapital
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
you will need a good sized pump to pump water uphill and for any distance and if you are running enough hose to make it threw out your home you will need a pump that is high head pressure.
hosing you will want to get either clear vinyl hose or the better bet a blue or white potable water house you can find these at lowes and walmart in either the garden hose section or the Rv section but no matter the hose you use it will need to be drinking/potable water safe.
I would get a remote control for the pump so that you dont have to run down stairs when it goes dry. I got mine from walmart and it looks like a car alarm remote and it has 8channels for 20bucks. I use mine for when I am watching football and dont want to go down stairs to see if my tanks are overflowing..lol my shopvac loves me for the purches.

arabu1973
10-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I use something like this http://www.tools247.co.uk/Water-Pumps-840/Draper-40218-Wbp1a-350w-230v-Submersible-Water-Butt-Pump-With-Float-Switch.html?product_currency=USD and i love it especially because it has a tap for regulating how fast the water is pumped

PAR23
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM
you will need a good sized pump to pump water uphill and for any distance and if you are running enough hose to make it threw out your home you will need a pump that is high head pressure.
hosing you will want to get either clear vinyl hose or the better bet a blue or white potable water house you can find these at lowes and walmart in either the garden hose section or the Rv section but no matter the hose you use it will need to be drinking/potable water safe.
I would get a remote control for the pump so that you dont have to run down stairs when it goes dry. I got mine from walmart and it looks like a car alarm remote and it has 8channels for 20bucks. I use mine for when I am watching football and dont want to go down stairs to see if my tanks are overflowing..lol my shopvac loves me for the purches.

Thanks much....What is considered a "good sized" pump and "high head pressure". Yes I will be running hoses from basement threw out the house. Also, why water safe hoses? How about garden hose?

PAR23
10-27-2010, 01:40 PM
I use something like this http://www.tools247.co.uk/Water-Pumps-840/Draper-40218-Wbp1a-350w-230v-Submersible-Water-Butt-Pump-With-Float-Switch.html?product_currency=USD and i love it especially because it has a tap for regulating how fast the water is pumped

Thank you. Is your set up (distance between storage barrel and tanks) similar to the one I described?

seanyuki
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Those external water pumps plus garden hose with ball valve should work....ie Iwaki etc:)

PAR23
10-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Those external water pumps plus garden hose with ball valve should work....ie Iwaki etc:)

I keep reading how the submerged pumps are so much better. Do you have the external pump? Thanks.

seanyuki
10-27-2010, 02:57 PM
It's all about horse power......ie Mag Drive highest model can only deliver 1800 GPH but those Iwaki pumps that I have seen in Hong Kong discus LFS are far more superior.

I keep reading how the submerged pumps are so much better. Do you have the external pump? Thanks.

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-27-2010, 09:58 PM
What is the height (in feet) from the basement floor, to the top of the fish tank on the ground level? Once you know the height, you can look at how much hose you'll need. After you figure out how many feet of hose you'll need, you can determine which pump is right for your needs. It's not about horsepower or anything. Every pump is designed differently and has a different pump curve. You have to sit down and look at them all and decide how fast do you honestly want to fill the tank.

In terms of what kind of hose to use. I actually prefer to use flexible PVC pipe. The benefit of use it comes with the ability to glue PVC fittings directly onto it. Wont kink. Wont break down like typical clear vinyl hose. Depending on how fast you want to fill it, you can use 1/2" or 3/4" flex pipe. I have used 1" in the past, but it can be a bear to handle when it's still new and not broken in.

-Ryan

PAR23
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
What is the height (in feet) from the basement floor, to the top of the fish tank on the ground level? Once you know the height, you can look at how much hose you'll need. After you figure out how many feet of hose you'll need, you can determine which pump is right for your needs. It's not about horsepower or anything. Every pump is designed differently and has a different pump curve. You have to sit down and look at them all and decide how fast do you honestly want to fill the tank.

In terms of what kind of hose to use. I actually prefer to use flexible PVC pipe. The benefit of use it comes with the ability to glue PVC fittings directly onto it. Wont kink. Wont break down like typical clear vinyl hose. Depending on how fast you want to fill it, you can use 1/2" or 3/4" flex pipe. I have used 1" in the past, but it can be a bear to handle when it's still new and not broken in.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I actually sent you an email not too long ago.

Now as for the measurements you asked for.....Height from basement floor to second floor tank is roughly 30 feet. Lenght of hose is around 60 feet. Thanks.

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Given the height difference and the length of hose desired, you'll be looking at minimum a medium head pump. Now the hard part is almost all medium/high head pumps are also high flow. Finding a medium/high head pump that is relatively low flow can be a challenge. Do you want a submersible or external type pump? Which exact pump I can recommend will also depend on how fast you want to fill the tank. Below are my recommendations for a pump while making some assumptions on flow rate.

Submersible:
SP750
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1195/Submersible-Pumps-High-Head
or
PLB2400
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1201/Tsurumi-Submersible-Pumps

External:
PM7
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1238/Little-Giant-Pumps-Heavy-Duty-Mag-Drive
or
PM31
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1237/March-Pumps-Magnetic-Drive
or
PS2SS (my recommendation due to it's pumping curve)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1460/Sweetwater-Centrifugal-Pumps

Also, given the length of hose being used, I would use a 1" ID hose to help minimize friction loss. Below is the link to the flexible PVC pipe that I prefer to use in these situations:
FPP1 (50ft roll)
FPP1F (by the foot)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1639/Flexible-PVC-Pipe/bfpp1/0

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Ryan

PAR23
10-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks Ryan. If I wanted to fill the tank at "moderate" pace/speed.....Which submersible pump would you recommend....Which one would you purchase out of the five you suggested.

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-29-2010, 11:47 PM
If I had to choose a submersible, I would probably go with the PLB2400. The only down side to that pump is that it has a 2" MNPT coming off of it. You would need to use a 2" FNPT x FNPT coupler....one side screws onto the pump, the other side you screw in a 2" MNPT x 1" FNPT reducer bushing to bring the size down to 1". Granted this is not the ideal situation, but since this is for transferring water only, you should be fine.

Another option for a submersible pump would be a Quiet One QP21. It doesnt pump quite as high as the other pumps listed, but is an alternative if required. Keep in mind the pumping rate at the 30ft of head will provide a slower flow than the other pumps (5gpm @ 30ft head).

If I had to choose a pump out of all 5 I suggested, definitely the Sweetwater PS2SS. Of all the pumps listed, it has the best pumping curve for your situation (15gpm @ 35ft head). Second choice would be the PM31 based on price alone as the PM31 and PM7 have an almost identical pumping curve, along with near identical features.

Either way you go, you'll definitely want to stick with a 1" ID hose. Given that this will be a pressurized line, I HIGHLY recommend sticking to the flex PVC pipe as you can glue fittings to it and reliably hold that kind of pressure (clear vinyl tubing I wouldnt trust). Be sure to install a ball valve on the end of the line to shut the water off when the tank is full (turn valve slowly as there is pressure behind it).

Keep in mind, I tried to size all of the recommended pumps to a 15-20gpm flow rate. This might be faster than you are looking for, and if so, let me know and I can look at some alternatives for you. There are a lot of options for you, just depends on what you want.

-Ryan

PAR23
10-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Thank you very much for your expertise Ryan........I will look into all the options and post more questions as they arises. :)

RudeDogg1
10-31-2010, 04:23 PM
If I had to choose a submersible, I would probably go with the PLB2400. The only down side to that pump is that it has a 2" MNPT coming off of it. You would need to use a 2" FNPT x FNPT coupler....one side screws onto the pump, the other side you screw in a 2" MNPT x 1" FNPT reducer bushing to bring the size down to 1". Granted this is not the ideal situation, but since this is for transferring water only, you should be fine.

Another option for a submersible pump would be a Quiet One QP21. It doesnt pump quite as high as the other pumps listed, but is an alternative if required. Keep in mind the pumping rate at the 30ft of head will provide a slower flow than the other pumps (5gpm @ 30ft head).

If I had to choose a pump out of all 5 I suggested, definitely the Sweetwater PS2SS. Of all the pumps listed, it has the best pumping curve for your situation (15gpm @ 35ft head). Second choice would be the PM31 based on price alone as the PM31 and PM7 have an almost identical pumping curve, along with near identical features.

Either way you go, you'll definitely want to stick with a 1" ID hose. Given that this will be a pressurized line, I HIGHLY recommend sticking to the flex PVC pipe as you can glue fittings to it and reliably hold that kind of pressure (clear vinyl tubing I wouldnt trust). Be sure to install a ball valve on the end of the line to shut the water off when the tank is full (turn valve slowly as there is pressure behind it).

Keep in mind, I tried to size all of the recommended pumps to a 15-20gpm flow rate. This might be faster than you are looking for, and if so, let me know and I can look at some alternatives for you. There are a lot of options for you, just depends on what you want.

-Ryan

could you recomend an afordable one for me please? Idealy id like to use garden hose. It needs to lift about 3m and go along about 4. I was thinking an ocean runner 3500 but dunno if it would take that kind of pipe

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-31-2010, 09:51 PM
could you recomend an afordable one for me please? Idealy id like to use garden hose. It needs to lift about 3m and go along about 4. I was thinking an ocean runner 3500 but dunno if it would take that kind of pipe

How much flow do you want/need?

-Ryan

RudeDogg1
11-01-2010, 05:07 AM
I just want one that's powerful enough to refill the tank at a decent rate without blowing everything in the tank about to much. And has to be cheap / affordable

waj8
11-01-2010, 06:32 AM
If you want affordable put the aging barrel on the top floor and run a water supply up there. :) Pumping water against a 30' head is a little tough to do.

RudeDogg1
11-01-2010, 08:06 AM
It's in the basement because there isn't anywhere else to put it. I know it can be done cheaply it's just finding the right pump

waj8
11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Well I figured as much. Prolly some picky person just doesn't agree with an aging tank in the bedroom.

RudeDogg1
11-01-2010, 07:01 PM
No a lack of room, living in a shared house which ain't mine and an empty basement so obviously the empty basement with the water butt nearly directly underneath the tank is the logical place actualy!

Dkarc@Aol.com
11-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I just want one that's powerful enough to refill the tank at a decent rate without blowing everything in the tank about to much. And has to be cheap / affordable

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1196/Utility-Pump

Fits your description to a T.

-Ryan

RudeDogg1
11-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Cheers I've also found a hailea pump which should do the job