PDA

View Full Version : what do I need for Co2

Discus master
11-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I stated a lightly planted tank, fist time plant guy here so know not a whole lot yet. I have various low to mid level plants T5HO 54 watt bulb 6,500K waiting to order a second one, pool filter sand substrate and it is a 55 gallon but up grading to any where from a 100 - 150 gallon and will add bulbs accordingly, I am using liquid seachem comprehensive fertz and plan on using root tabs as well. So I wanted to use a ph controler and regulator and I was going to use those co2 carts you see at places like that fish place and I like the idea of a controled co2 and a nice steady ph is also a nice thing to have as well. So what all do I need to make this happen? and brand names and guesstimation on prices would help?

PS: my wife says this is my "final" tank so its gotta be big and nice or go home if you know what I mean? I am a bit worried about the 150 becuase of the weight. Rite now the tank is in a finished basement/family room but one day we plan on moving and who knows if it will have a basement it may be in a living room second floor who knows? So I am worried will the floor be able to handle such a weigth? or will this need to be on a concret slab wether its the baement or not?? Thanks for the extra info on that I kind of threw that lasty one in there. If it is a worry maybe I will stop at a 90 gallon or possibly a 100gallon

thanks for the advice, I know they are heavy as well but not as bad as a 150 you know?

pcsb23
11-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Bit difficult knowing where to start.

CO2 when used right can make a massive difference to the way the plants grow. When used wrong can lead to disaster for fish. Understanding the ratio between KH and CO2 is a good starting point. Going for a controller is also a good thing too. As for brands, not sure what is available in the USA, I'm guessing you should be able to get pinpoint and the like there.

ime there is also a correlation between light and CO2, one or the other is usually the limiting factor. As light increases then the use of ferts can increase, of which CO2 (carbon bit) is one. Usually then the trace ferts need tweaking, and so it goes on :)

You will also need to be a dab hand with test kist to start with, of course you could use the EI method, though I don't like it - personal choice not a criticism of the method as such.

If you are going for a lightly or moderately lightly planted tank I wouldn't bother with CO2, if you are going heavily planted then it really pays ime.

Planted tanks take every bit as much skill, experience, practice (call it what you like) to do as keeping thriving discus.

And then there is algae .... ;)

If you are serious about plants then join a dedicated plant forum, in the UK the best is http://www.ukaps.org/ in the USA, I don't know so can't help there.

Discus master
11-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Bit difficult knowing where to start.

CO2 when used right can make a massive difference to the way the plants grow. When used wrong can lead to disaster for fish. Understanding the ratio between KH and CO2 is a good starting point. Going for a controller is also a good thing too. As for brands, not sure what is available in the USA, I'm guessing you should be able to get pinpoint and the like there.

ime there is also a correlation between light and CO2, one or the other is usually the limiting factor. As light increases then the use of ferts can increase, of which CO2 (carbon bit) is one. Usually then the trace ferts need tweaking, and so it goes on :)

You will also need to be a dab hand with test kist to start with, of course you could use the EI method, though I don't like it - personal choice not a criticism of the method as such.

If you are going for a lightly or moderately lightly planted tank I wouldn't bother with CO2, if you are going heavily planted then it really pays ime.

Planted tanks take every bit as much skill, experience, practice (call it what you like) to do as keeping thriving discus.

And then there is algae .... ;)

If you are serious about plants then join a dedicated plant forum, in the UK the best is http://www.ukaps.org/ in the USA, I don't know so can't help there.

Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at Red Sea, but seeing how I am only keeping a light to moderately lightly planted tank, nothing to serious a few in the background foreground one amazon sword a couple of other litle things and the anubias and ferns on the drift wood thats it. It is filled in but not packed in I think most of us would consider it to be a lightly to moderately light planted tank. The only othe reason I was considering the use of Co2 was to keep my ph stable and controlable with out the use of buffers, is it a bad idea to use Co2 for ph control with an added benefit for the plants? I am thinking of staying away from it rite now it is just that I am going from a 55 to (my wife just gave me the green light to up grade) a 100-150 gallon tank and I am not sure what I am going to do there. My discus will be pretty much grown up by then maybe adding 2 or 3 hans larger discus to go along with the group some rummy's and ramz I was thinking of using a florite base and sand but should I do that if only going witha lightly planted tank? maybe put the florite where the plants will go?
One last question should I buy some snails and what kind I do not have any pleco's at all and I do not want them rite now so I was thinking of some snails. What kind and how many to buy at first for the 55 than the 100-150 gallon. Thanks for ll your help:D

pcsb23
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Using CO2 to control the pH is fine, provided it stays within safe boundaries. The maximum amount of CO2 that is considered safe is 30ppm. To know this level you need to know the KH etc and then look it up on a chart (google the krib ph calculator).

If you intend on having areas of the tank without plants then just use sand in these areas, flourite is useful, but not essential to plant growth as you can use root tabs where needed.

Don't use buffers at all, ever! More trouble than they are worth. Your pH will be what it is.

As for snails, some people like them some don't. I don't so am always getting rid when they appear, so someone else may be better placed to help. Bristle nose (ancistrus) plecs are generally fine with discus and do a decent job, also consider some cory's and maybe some shrimp. All are good at clean up and a certain amount of algae control.

If you have the choice go for the bigger tank too ;)

northcoastad
11-03-2010, 02:25 PM
New to the discus forumn but not new to planted tanks.
Flourite is a good way to go if your going to put a flourite base i would do it all around. Rooted plants will need more room to grow as they get bigger and the added expense of putting flourite all around will be well worth the headache later on if you decide to add more plants imo.
In terms of substrate there are quite a few options besides flourite for a planted tank you can check out aquariumplants.com, adgshop.com to name a couple of options.
Snails can be a pain but there are quite a few that will work with plants and not breed. Some alternatives to snails are Otto cats and amano shrimp combined they are one of the best algae clean up crews available.
Your best option in IMO is to research a good fertilizer dosing schedule and CO2 levels and algae will not be a problem.
Check out plantedtank.net forumn it has some of the best information available on planted tanks as well as an awesome swap and shop.