PDA

View Full Version : fluval fx5 would you do it again

Randy-S
11-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I thought I was bought into getting one of these, then I read a post that compared it to the pro 3 and the guy noted he had 5-6 of his fluval fail???

How is yours doing is it still working is it quiet? Would you buy it again?

peterhql
11-11-2010, 05:32 PM
ive had one in constant operation for over a year and a half now. not a single issue. I find it hard to believe that 5 out of 6 units would fail. If the darn thing would fit in all my cabinets I'd have many more fx5s than I would eheims. I currently own 3 different eheim units, all of which are very good, but i prefer the fx5s MECHANICAL filtration superiority.

-Peter

Randy-S
11-11-2010, 05:41 PM
how quiet is it compared to the eheims?

peterhql
11-11-2010, 06:06 PM
its only ever so slightly louder. It shouldn't bother anyone in a cabinet. For me the loudest thing has always been the airstone/pump.

-Peter

YSS
11-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I have one, and it's been working well for almost three years. I don't like it because it's kinda pain to clean.

Randy-S
11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
i imagine that all the sponges are a pain to clean or is it just how the lid connects?

Sharkbait
11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I agree...I do enjoy my FX5...never any issue with it ever.

However, it is a pain to clean when I just want to rinse the pads real quick or replace my purigen.

The new Fluvals claim that you can change media while the filter is running, which is an awesome feature...but I still don't think they're worth the price.

Randy-S
11-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Are you guys using spay bars with the fx5 or just the standard return?

peterhql
11-12-2010, 12:28 AM
i dont like spray bars at all. i even replaced the eheim spray bars with those black u tube returns with the adjustable head.

rich_one
11-12-2010, 12:54 AM
I admit it is a pain to clean, but this is easily the best filter I have ever owned. I love the thing. never a problem, and sometimes I had to touch it to make sure it was running... LOL...

Yes... I'd get it again!

-Rich

Sharkbait
11-12-2010, 01:33 AM
sometimes I had to touch it to make sure it was running... LOL...

no kidding...the thing is so quiet!

Saverio
11-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Are you guys using spay bars with the fx5 or just the standard return?

Last time I checked, the FX5 doesn't come with or sell a spraybar; you'd have to DIY one.

I have 2 FX5's for my 125 planted discus tank. I love them. My biggest complaint is that they are too big to fit inside my stand.

rich_one
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Last time I checked, the FX5 doesn't come with or sell a spraybar; you'd have to DIY one.

I have 2 FX5's for my 125 planted discus tank. I love them. My biggest complaint is that they are too big to fit inside my stand.

How funny! I also have a 125 gallon tank that my FX5 is on, and it is, indeed, inside my stand! LOL...

-Rich

YSS
11-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Yes, the lid is the biggest pain in the butt. It's a pretty quiet filter for it's size, but all the cannister filters I have are just as quiet and I have 5 different filters from 4 companies.

Randy-S
11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
well i pulled the trigger and got one!

arapaimag
11-15-2010, 03:38 PM
I hope you have no problems with yours.

I have a lot of FX5's (23 in all bought over a 3 year period) and use them on tanks ranging from 120 to 810 gallons. I had problems with 2 of them in the first year which were replaced under warranty with no hassle. They had an electrical malfunction that effected many of the early FX5's and well documented on other sites.
I then had no major issues till 2 of the last 4 I bought in 2009. They just do not work. Starting OK for a few minutes then shutting down and not restarting over the next 24 hours. I contacted Hagen and they said to ship them back to Quebec to get fixed.

This is not very good. Why should I spend $30 to ship back a defective product? I bought it at the local store and expect my warranty to occur there. That is what happened the first year I had problems.

I also use Reaction 4 cannister filters (5), Tetra pond cannister filters (3) and big Marineland (2) with no problems.

On a larger scale I also use 3 Alpha One bead filters (Handle 17,000 gallons each) but since they are only up and running for 2 months or so I can not give you my experience with them yet.

I do suggest anyone buying filters should inquire first where the warranty would occur if a problem comes up. Hagen is trying to avoid fixing problems with there equipment by making the purchaser spend money to get it fixed if they deem it to be under warranty. Or charge if they feel it is not under warranty.

The Fluvals that have not broken down have worked well in most cases with a few losing volume discharge after a couple of years.

leeishom
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
my fx5 has been running smooth, tank is spotless, easy to clean and repriming is soo simple.
parts are really easy to get, if needed.

Harriett
11-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I have had an FX5 since they became available in the US. SO that's 3+ years--no issues whatsoever, great filter, for me. I built a spray bar as soon as I got the filter, I always use a big old prefilter sponge on the intake pipe. THis keeps the filter SO MUCH cleaner. I eventually made friends with the lid, LOL, so don't find it an issue to work with. I agree it is a big job to pull the sponges and clean it, but I worked out a method and have no problems with it. I have an FX5 and a smaller 1200 Cascade canister on my 180 and that is sufficient for this planted tank. I have a 125 BB that eventually I would like to get a 2nd FX5 for so my answer is yes, I WOULD get another. By the way, I got an extra impeller unit to keep on hand in case, and it's still in the box---I would suggest that once a year you open up the impeller/motor housing and do a good clean up in there.
Better than being stuck in a situation without back up for a larger tank....
Best regards,
Harriett

Randy-S
11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
thanks for the reply Harriet
would you mind sharing what media you use inside your canister?

Harriett
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I use the sponges that come stock with the filter, and in the baskets I use the bioballs that that I had in the wet/dry I was previously using on the tank. I also added some very fine floss pads to blanket the bioball baskets. The bioballs seeded the tank and remain in there to this day.

Randy-S
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks again

Harriett
11-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Absolutely!