PDA

View Full Version : AMiracle Wet/Dry Question

DiscusLoverJeff
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Not wanting to hijack a previous thread, I thought I would ask a question regarding wet/dry filtration for freshwater, discus tank preferably.

I was given an Amiracle wet/dry system that I was going to use on my reef tank but was told not to. Ok, no wet/dry for a reef tank.

Then was told they were better suited for freshwater tanks using the bio balls. Ok, then was told not good for a discus tank.

So, if they are not good for a reef or a freshwater tank, then why make them and why sell them?

many people I know in the saltwater hobby shy away from them because they produce too many nitrates. Others in the freshwater hobby say that a wet/dry for a freshwater tank is overkill.

Ok now the confusion is setting in. What are they good for?

pcsb23
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
The amount of nitrates produced in any enclosed system is a direct result of the amount of food (protein mainly) consumed or fed and other matter in the system that may decay and produce ammonia (plants etc).

All filters produce nitrates as the end product of the nitrogen cycle, doesn't matter if they are simple sponge filters or full blown TT based systems.

There is some evidence to suggest that in huge TT systems that NO3 is transient, i.e. it gets broken down into other forms, however these are impractical in most discus setups.

There are also de-nitrators but again thgese feed on the nitrates produed by the normal bio filter and are in themselves difficult to setup and establish and not without risk.

Wet/Dry filters are imo/e excellent bio filters, depending on design will depend on how good they are mechanically.

If you use one on a CO2 injected tank then CO2 will be gassed off as the water trickles through the bio balls so you will end up using more CO2 (big deal - it's cheap enough!!). though personally wouldn't choose one for a CO2 injected tank.

The water is also well oxygenated too so the orp is raised. Personally I think they are excellent filters for discus tanks.

*EDIT* I should add I have no knowledge or experience of this particular product but have used wet/dry's plenty of times.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the breakdown on the wet/dry Paul.

I understand the science behind a wet/dry and what it is suppose to be capable of doing, I just don't understand the controversy behind it.

I am gathering it is much better for a freshwater tank as opposed to saltwater.

I have a 90 gallon bare bottom tank I am setting up for possible wilds eventually so I may run this wet/dry for its filtration system then.

ockyra215
11-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Jeff I know most guys dont like the bio balls when using that type of filter for a reef tank?But to use it as a refugium/sump is ok from what I remember of it.

ZX10R
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM
This is the sump I built for my tank costed me about $90 to make. It is a 30 gallon sump on a 120 gallon tank.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/Tank%20Build/Sump.jpg

Second Hand Pat
11-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Not wanting to hijack a previous thread, I thought I would ask a question regarding wet/dry filtration for freshwater, discus tank preferably.

I was given an Amiracle wet/dry system that I was going to use on my reef tank but was told not to. Ok, no wet/dry for a reef tank.

Then was told they were better suited for freshwater tanks using the bio balls. Ok, then was told not good for a discus tank.

So, if they are not good for a reef or a freshwater tank, then why make them and why sell them?

many people I know in the saltwater hobby shy away from them because they produce too many nitrates. Others in the freshwater hobby say that a wet/dry for a freshwater tank is overkill.

Ok now the confusion is setting in. What are they good for?

If I remember right the bio balls are a dirt magnet and hence a nitrate factory for a saltwater system. Also bio balls are not needed as bio-media because your live rock serves that role.

I currently run a three chamber sump on my reef tank which looks like ZX10R's except I have a protein skimmer in the first chamber and a fuge in the center chamber. If you wish to remove the bio balls and run it on your reef I have seen that suggested on my reef forum (http://www.reeflounge.com).

I have a wet/dry on my 100 gallon soon to be discus tank. It is an older one with a spray bar. I use pot scubbies as my bio-media instead of bio balls because they have way more growing surfaces for your bacteria then bio balls. BTW what is wrong with a overkill. :D