PDA

View Full Version : My planted 125. 11 discus, 100 cardinals, and too much other stuff lol.

Saverio
11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Here's my planted 125. I have a tendency to overstock, but haven't run into any major problems, other than continually battling BBA.

50% WC once or twice a week (depending)
Pressurized CO2
EI dosing with dry ferts

Hope you like!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/garcijm2/IMG_1053.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/garcijm2/IMG_1054.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/garcijm2/IMG_1035.jpg

discuspaul
11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Very NICE job, Saverio
I too have a tendency to overstock, however with no damage done to date. I have done some 'correcting' lately, though - by rehoming about 24 dither fish, in my 70 gallon, with 9 juvie discus, & which now has under 25 other fish.
Here's my tank, before the downsizing - links:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/1RedSnakeSkins
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/2RedSnakeSkins

If you're battling BBA, here's what worked for me:
When I did a W/C, I dosed Flourish Excel, at full strength, using a plastic syringe, or test kit pipette, slowly & at close range, unto the affected areas - not overdosing on any one day, but tackling it over 4 or 5 w/c's -
works great - the BBA started to turn whiteish-gray within a day & died off - then I just brushed it off & let the filtration remove it - haven't had BBA for many months now.
Try it - it works fine.
Paul

Yboat
11-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I have 9 in a 125 and I do 50% every 3 days. I tried going to every 4 days but it stressed out the fish.

as long as you keep the water clean enough, and there is no aggression issues there is nothing wrong with over stocking...

Saverio
11-15-2010, 09:23 PM
When I did a W/C, I dosed Flourish Excel, at full strength, using a plastic syringe, or test kit pipette, slowly & at close range, unto the affected areas - not overdosing on any one day, but tackling it over 4 or 5 w/c's -
works great - the BBA started to turn whiteish-gray within a day & died off - then I just brushed it off & let the filtration remove it - haven't had BBA for many months now.
Try it - it works fine.
Paul

I do the Excel targeted dosing as well. Works great as you said. I don't like the damage it does to my anubias leaves though, so I am recently (as in today's WC) trying H2O2 spot treating as well.
One of these days I'll figure out what is out of balance, whether it by my lighting, CO2, or dosing regime. =)

dielectric
12-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I do the Excel targeted dosing as well. Works great as you said. I don't like the damage it does to my anubias leaves though, so I am recently (as in today's WC) trying H2O2 spot treating as well.
One of these days I'll figure out what is out of balance, whether it by my lighting, CO2, or dosing regime. =)

too much organics in the water column or unstable co2?

saltydog
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
what type of lighting do you have? I currently have Mh lighting over my 180 plnated tank and have been contemplating changing. I like the high light low light areas your tank seems to show.

2wheelsx2
12-03-2010, 04:32 PM

BBA is due to fluctuating or insufficient CO2. If you want to not damage your Anubias and make it easier on yourself, the way to apply Excel is to use a 10:1 water:Excel solution and mist the plants with BBA during a water change (obviously the ones above water when the water level is down) and then fill the tank up. I have the same issue in my CO2 injected 125 gallon and it's partly because the Anubias are up high and getting too much light. If you shade them a bit of put them down lower, you'll have less of a problem.

cobsterrr
12-03-2010, 05:50 PM
beautiful tank. Is that Penange eruption or an albino eruption snakeskin i see? any closeups of it...i have one just like it.

Saverio
12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
too much organics in the water column or unstable co2?

I know unstable CO2 or too much lighting/not enough ferts are two big causes for BBA, but had never considered that too much organics might be a culprit. As I stated earlier, my fishload is heavy.

what type of lighting do you have? I currently have Mh lighting over my 180 plnated tank and have been contemplating changing. I like the high light low light areas your tank seems to show.

I use two of the 24" 2x65W Coralife PC fixtures that I bought several years ago. Each has a 6700K lamp and 10,000K lamp in it. Being that it's a 6ft tank, the lighting is more concentrated in the center, with the far left and right not having as much light on them. But with the center tank brace not having any light over it, some of the anubias on the driftwood stump on the right gets quite a bit of light.

BBA is due to fluctuating or insufficient CO2. If you want to not damage your Anubias and make it easier on yourself, the way to apply Excel is to use a 10:1 water:Excel solution and mist the plants with BBA during a water change (obviously the ones above water when the water level is down) and then fill the tank up. I have the same issue in my CO2 injected 125 gallon and it's partly because the Anubias are up high and getting too much light. If you shade them a bit of put them down lower, you'll have less of a problem.

Yeah I know what you mean about squirting straight excel on the Anubias leaves; seems to "burn" them. I have a misting bottle that I use to apply it to my heaters and filter outflows when they get some BBA on them. Think I was going 1:1 ratio though, I'll have to dilute it down. Thanks for the suggestion. =)

beautiful tank. Is that Penange eruption or an albino eruption snakeskin i see? any closeups of it...i have one just like it.

It's a Penang eruption. Unless you're referring to the light bluish white ones. Those are adult Mercury's that I got from Mike Beals. Lots of peppering, but he gave me a price I couldn't pass up. =)

zimmjeff
12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
what are the blue fish with the peppering? I have a small one like that but I am undure what it is. Thanks.

Saverio
12-03-2010, 08:22 PM
what are the blue fish with the peppering? I have a small one like that but I am undure what it is. Thanks.

Those are the Mercury's I was referring to in the previous post.

x2h
01-01-2011, 11:47 PM
beautiful tank!

Brevcom
01-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Very nice setup/discus.

dghby
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Very nice!!!

abu7rb
01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I like it so much!!

Very nice, keep going the good work ;)

dghby
01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Beautiful Tank.......

RodneyL001
01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
What kind of grass is that in the left hand corner, looks like kyoto grass? If it is I read that it is not a true aquatic plant, but yours look great.

phil47952
01-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what is BBA?

Thank you

Phil

fastfishin
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Very nice setup man

sergioya72
01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
beautiful tank! very good design