PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a planted tank

dbfzurowski
11-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of starting a planted tank and eventually making it a planted discus tank. I got most figured out but one thing. It seems that best way is to layer our substrate, bottom something rich in minerals, top filter sand for example. Now my question is how to vacum that? I cant stick my python in it because it will mess up the layers. Also I heard that your supposed to stir the sand from time to time but that would mess it up as well. Please help me out with this.

JaVia
11-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I have a planted tank. I use pool filter sand because the poop and mess stays on top of it, so its super easy to clean, and they I just put ferts and root tabs below the plants.

pcsb23
11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I basically do the same as Jenny. Also if the planting is good the roots will help keep any dead spots sorted.

discuspaul
11-21-2010, 01:20 PM
There's no easy way around the problem if you're layering & using a python. Do as the others said - use straight filter sand with root tab & liquid ferts.

dbfzurowski
11-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replays guys,
I dont want to go crazy with the plants, some low tech stuff. I do dream of a nice green carpet so i cant do just sand+tabs. I had white sand once before and it started to turn brown on top not sure what it was. I do have some cory cats so they might help with moving the sand surface around.

So there is no need for deep python penetration?

I know sand has small grains but will it prevent broken down waste from getting stuck in it?
Then again that waist could probably be used up by plants. I did attempt a planted once, slowly failed. I know plants need nitrate, my tanks all show below 5ppm so maybe some waist in sand could bring that up and help with plant growth.

Any recommendations on minimum tank size for planted??? I want to start of small, like my pair of rummy nose in it, maybe a pleco, a shrimp. I fear spending a lot of money for a bigger setup and failing.

aix1
11-21-2010, 03:27 PM
IMO you can very well do just sand and tabs. Since many "carpet" plants get their nutrition from the water not the substrate. So just liquid fert and no problems. For bigger plants like swords tablets work very nicely.

waj8
11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't vacuum at all. I have strong filtration and a good prefilter. I clean the prefilter every water change. I get a lot of stuff out that way before it decomposes. It is almost impossible to vacuum my tank as it's too heavily planted.

dbfzurowski
11-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Cool, I'll give it a try. Any ideas as to minimum tank size for a beginner?

discuspaul
11-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Go for min. 55 gals. - 70-75 gals. would be better if you can swing it.
Have a look at my planted 70 gal. discus tank, to which I'm planning to soon add some carpeting plants. Either HC or UG - maybe some Blyxa Japonica. See what you think.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/FTS-Osaka260

dbfzurowski
11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey Paul,
very nice setup, looks so clean! Did you just use sand or anything under it?

discuspaul
11-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Just sand - nothing else - a quite thin layer - less than 1" in front - no more than 2.5" in back.