PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell???

rich_one
11-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Don't have a pic yet (camera needs batteries), but there are things in my discus tank. They are small, dark colored, and look kinda like sorta flat snails with no shells. they swim near or on the water surface. hopefully that's a decent enough description where someone can at least take an educated stab? Can I use something like snail-be-gone and kill these things, without harming the discus? tank is barebottom, so other than the fish, nothing else there to be concerned about. Thanks.

-Rich

jball1125
11-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Not sure what your describing but I would advise to stay away from snail be gone. The stuff is very dangerous. Just hang in until someone chimes in with an idea and a solution.

GODSNAKE73
11-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Why don’t you try algaefix from api is safe for the fish. It work for me

Disgirl
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Any possibility they could be leeches? I have seen some that look like flat snails with no shells. They could have come in with live plants or live foods.
Barb

rich_one
11-24-2010, 03:12 PM
hmmm.... I will try the algaefix stuff.

don't leeches like to attach to other animals or people? I don't see anything trying to attach to the discus. also, no plants in this tank. barebottom, nothing in it but the fish.

-Rich

Chad Hughes
11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Do not put algaefix in your tank. You are asking for trouble! Can you get us a picture?

rich_one
11-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Do not put algaefix in your tank. You are asking for trouble! Can you get us a picture?

Whassup Chad! I hope all is well. No picture yet, but I'm working on it. Camera, AND camera phone issues... go figure!

I will not use the algaefix, at your behest, man. Thanks!

-Rich

underwaterforest
11-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Add a loach or two, and your snail problem will dissipate as fast as their bellies grow.

Of course remember to quarantine them first.

Alex

Correction:

Oops I just saw that they weren't snails, but the loaches still might work.

kent1963
11-27-2010, 12:33 AM
How large are you talking? Could they be planaria?

scottishbloke
12-04-2010, 03:30 PM
We would need to see a pic to be sure but it does sound like it might be Planaria. They are usually small, but some species can get pretty big. Planaria usually only appear when there is a lot of organic debris in your tank or inside your filter, which they feed on. What kind of filtration are you using? You may just need to clean your filter pads or canister, etc, and do a couple of big w/c's; if there is very little for these flatworms to feed on, they usually just go away by themselves. I've had them before, and it was a sign that my canister needed cleaning. If it isn't planaria and all your equipment/tank is clean, then I'm not sure what the problem might be. Post some pics so we can try to identify exactly what your critters are.

Colin