PDA

View Full Version : What kind of PUMP should I obtain for UV Sterilizer 'Turbo-Twist 12x', pretty-please?

anadyomene
11-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Hello, friendly discus folk - My DISCUS tank is GRAND. My question is regarding ANOTHER Tank.

I recently acquired a second-hand 110-gal. tank, used by previous owner for salt-water. I just recently set it up with the following equipment (which came with the tank): TWO 'Aquaclear 500s' (now apparently known as 'Aquaclear 110' )...which should be providing Perfectly Adequate Filtration. I put the filters in *completely* cycled from use in the previous tank. Also a VERY Bright fluorescent 48-inch twin-bulb light fixture...it has those Narrow, fancy bulbs, not just plain ol' 48-inchers like one would put in an office-ceiling fixture, hm. Bare-bottom, with two MASSIVE amazon swords-in-fluorite-in-pots, and a couple smaller amazons, also potted. An airstone with reggler ol' air pump. No heat, as I am keeping four copper-nose bluegills (what can I say....my BF wanted them, and he bought the tank for me. :)) which are about 4-inches long...I don't think that is TOO much bio-load for a 110-gallon tank, eh?

The first day I set it up, it was Cloudy, and since then (about 10-12 days) the 'Cloudy' has turned to a Full-Blown Algae Bloom. I *think* it is because the Very Bright Light is Too Bright. So five days ago, I quit using it in favor of a plain ol' one-tube reggler light with the reggler old Fat Bulbs....No Joy. No Improvement in Yon Bloom, I mean to say.

The tank water tests zero for ammonia and zero for nitrites. (And I hardly think it has had TIME to accumulate problematic levels of nitrates, although I don't have a test kit for nitrates.) The pH is basically neutral.

The tank set-up came complete with a Coralife Turbo-Twist 12x UV Sterilizer; I have never used a UV sterilizer before. The sterilizer did NOT come with a PUMP, though. But since I *have* the dang thing (and it's like, a $200 item), I'd like to give it a whirl in clearing up the algae bloom.

My question ("And I Do Have One") is ::: what kind/brand of pump should I acquire? The chart in the Handy Instruction book states that somewhere in the zone of 680 gph is good for **algae**.

[[[Note: I have been keeping aquaria on and off for 30+ years, but the Technology of UV Sterilizers and their Optimum Hookups is a Mystery to me...I am beyond my comfort level, so I am throwing myself on the Kindness of Strangers.]]]

If Some Kind Soul will help me out, I will send $10 to SimplyDiscus for my appreciation, and will send the Best Answerer $5 via paypal to boot.

Exceedingly Murky (in more than one sense) Regards from

~ anna in birmingham ('AL')

underwaterforest
12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
The turbo twist 12X UV will work with any smaller pump, the less flow the better for a UV sterilizer, eg more UV contact time. You just want to make sure it isn't too small that it can't overcome the head pressure on the pump. I have that exact UV sterilizer and have been using it fine plumbed into the output port on my magnum 350 filter. Looking at the instructions on the coralife recommends a Minimum flow of 300 gph to a maximum flow of 900 gph. So a pump in the range from 300-900 would work depending on your budget.

My recommendation would be a something like a 400-500 GPH which you could valve in front of the pump if it turns out being a little too big. Once you get your pump all hooked up you will have to purge all the air out of the sterilizer to get it to work with the pump ( You might not have to do this step if your pump is large enough, but I have with my magnum 350). If you look at the end of the sterilizer it has a screw in cap which is made for this intended purpose. I'll take a bucket and then open that port and start the pump the sterilizer will then start to fill up with water and purge the air once it is full put the cap back on and water should start flowing to your tank. Voilia you should be done. If you find that the UV isn't working as well as you like close the valve in front of the pump slightly to lower the flow rate and this should increase the effectiveness of the UV light.

BTW before you waste money on the expensive coralife replacement bulbs (think they want 65 dollars a pop) there are a cheap replacement only about 5-10 a bulb. If you need the info on the cheap bulbs send me a pm and I will try to find it out.

HTH

Alex

nc0gnet0
12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I would opt to run it inline with a magnum 350 using a cart. Hook the UV up on the output line of the magnum 350 and your problem should disapear with in a day or two (providing your bulb is good).

Darrell Ward
12-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Good luck with it. Not looking for an argument. I am going to tell you the truth. Take it, or leave it. I don't care. I have a Turbo Twist 12X in the garage, somewhere. Biggest waste of money ever! All kinds of flow rates, and a bulb change made no difference. Mine is just a purple light, no more no less. They only thing it sterilized was my wallet. Those hobbyist sized unit are just not powerful enough to do much of anything. Bottom line. You need a much larger, high output UV, such as those used in aquaculture to kill pathogens. I don't think too many people want a 6' long UV unit in their living room at a cost of hundreds to thousands, and use hundreds to thousands of watts. You would be much better off using ozone.

underwaterforest
12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
....Not looking for an argument.....Bottom line. You need a much larger, high output UV, such as those used in aquaculture to kill pathogens........

No argument from me Darrell, I wholeheartedly agree on the UV issue in regard to pathogens, just too little UV for too many pathogens to do anything. But on regards to algae which seems to be of primary concern to the poster, the UV works like a dream. Hook it up and forgot about any more green water polluting your tank. I had UV on my back planted tank and I moved it to my living room discus tank thinking it would help them with some strange fin rot issue I was getting. I saw little to no difference between having two UV lights on my tank and before I added them. But on my back tank plated tank as soon as I removed the UV I started to get back some of the old algae blooms I used to get.

So use UV for its best purpose fighting algae blooms and you will be happy with it.

Alex