PDA

View Full Version : KRIBS and discus..anyone keep them together?

Jennie
11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a couple pair that I'd like to move in with discus, they are not aggressive, are getting butts kicked by angels and need to be moved..also want to de=parasite them so what is safe to use on them..quick cure?? I believe that tackles a few parasitic bugs

alan j t
11-29-2010, 01:32 PM
i have had krib and discus in my planted tank before, but when the kribs decided to spawn all the comunity fish suffered.

Jennie
11-29-2010, 01:40 PM
thanx, what about a pre treatment befor introduction?

patrick richard
12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Hi Jennie,

I have some kribs in my 125gal tank with my discus. I can tell you that the discus hate them. The kribs are to active for them. When a pair of kribs form, they dont attack the discus they just chase everything else in the tank away. This activity is what scares the discus. Hope this helps with your decision.

Patrick

goodoo
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I have to f1 kribs with my discus . they are fine .

Jennie
12-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Still thinking about it. I think I will when the driftwood settles. They don't seem as active as tetras, and my discus didn't mind them at all. As matter of fact, they ate them. Anyway, I will give it a try

Ryan
12-02-2010, 07:20 PM
As long as you don't have your discus temperature too high everything should be fine. I raised out kribs with my discus in a 150 gallon. I found that the juvies didn't do so well in the warmer discus temps but the parents were great. I've kept kribs with discus and angels several times in the past and had no issues. In a large enough tank, a krib pair will be territorial but usually not terribly aggressive. If so, you can always move them later.

Jennie
12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
keeping tank temp lower these days at 82-83 Ryan. The tank is a 125 long so I hope they set up house on different ends. I have a couple very aggressive angels that are relentless with these kribs. I don't think the discus will care about them. I'm currently deworming the angel tank and then maybe prazi powder so no bugs introduced to discus

Ryan
12-02-2010, 07:34 PM
82 is perfect. That's what I keep all my cichlids at, except for smaller discus and severums which are usually at 84 - 85. Kribs are usually personable, peaceful little cichlids. My albino pair were always so fun to watch, especially when they were herding fry.

Jennie
12-02-2010, 07:47 PM
that's the strain I got. females very colorful