PDA

View Full Version : Do you cover your tanks? Glass? Acrilic?

DiscusBR
11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Here is me again, planning my 75g wild discus tank (thanks for the patience :o). I will have driftwood, pool sand as substrate, very few plants, and no CO2. I will also have a lighting fixture for my T5 bulbs which stands high and in theory I can leave the top of the tank open. But it does not seem to be a good idea. Besides leading to heat dissipation (more work to the heaters and more electricity consumption) and to loosing too much water due to evaporation, I have been reading in the forum about several cases of discus committing suicide by jumping from the tank. I therefore want to cover the tank, but I don't know what is the best way to go. I read that glass blocks UV rays that are important for the plants. Is it true? Do you use an acrylic cover? Does it work? Please advice.

William Palumbo
11-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Acrylic, no matter how thick will warp(curve). I've seen some clever tops made with screens and mesh...Bill

DiscusLoverJeff
11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I have glass tops on my 95 gallon wave planted tank and the only exposure I have is in the back where all the plumbing and heaters come in. I left that area open (about 3"). I too have a T-5 setup and all are doing well with the glass tops. Not much evaporation either.

You can use what is called Egg Crate which is like a hard plastic grate that covers florescent light fixtures. maybe this will help let the rays through and no suicidal fish. You will lose water to evaporation though using this type of cover.

rosyrobyn
11-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I've tried a thick acrylic top and yes it did warp, as well as turning yellow. All of my other planted tanks have had glass covers to prevent evaporation loss. I clean them regularly so they stay crystal clear. I've used a variety of lighting (NO, ODNO, CF) and haven't had any troubles with plants, even the more demanding ones.

wheelsdeal
11-29-2010, 03:26 PM
You can use plexi which is a lot more stronger than acrylic but there is a possibility to curve too if you have strong lighning.Most diy tanks i've seen use glass tops.I wouldnt leave a discus tank without a cover.Never heard problems with glass tops and plants.

Altum Nut
11-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Go to your local glass shop and get a quote on glass tops. They can cut at any angle you want.
So in your case it would only be the front and determine if that price in in your budget.

...Ralph

dbfzurowski
11-29-2010, 04:07 PM
glass shop or LFS, the glass tops don't cost a lot. There is a special plexi or acrylic type of plastic that doesn't react with water(no curve), but its expensive.

DiscusBR
11-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi all,

Thank you for your responses. I am considering the possiblitiy of having a screen as a tank cover. I found a cool tutorial Youtube video explaining how to build one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CzorCknWQ

Does anyone have a screen at the top of tank? Do you like it? Any opinions?

The challenge would be how to allow space for plumbing, heater cables, automatic feeder, etc. But I guess you would just make the screen shorter at the back of the tank.

pcsb23
11-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Glass is fine as a tank cover, cheap and easy to clean. Opti White glass is better (contains very little iron unlike ordinary glass) but is wasted as a cover. Usually the cover glass is not too thick, around 3mm or 4mm, get the edges polished though - saves on cuts! Another option is polycarbonate sheeting, but seal the open sides.

3dees
11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
I have had open top tanks for years (not discus) and never lost a fish. mt 120 gal. wild discus tank is open because of the manzanita branches stick out, and I have only floating plants. my fish will sometimes splash water out of the tank but so far alls good. I think that the plants on top make them feel secure. most will say it's just a matter of time, but I hate glass tops. just something else to clean and not the best for floating plants. I add about 1 gal. of water per day.

fishorama
12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I like glass tops, strong & easy to clean. My discus tank has a ~2 inch gap for filters etc, so far so good as far as light penetration & jumpers goes. I've tried thin(ish) acrylic & it bows.

Jhhnn
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I have glass tops, always, and tight perimeters on 'em.

One morning, as a sat in my study with my fish, I heard a loud Whap! and looked over to see one of my near adult fish laying on the glass center brace of their tank- it had knocked the lid open to get there! I eased it back into the water, where it ended up none the worse for wear. They hit the lids occasionally, when really rambunctious, and I believe having lids has saved me from finding any on the floor...

Lids also help hold in the heat, keep airborne pollutants out, and keep silly cats from going fishing...