PDA

View Full Version : how to clean used substrate

flyer1988
11-30-2010, 01:18 AM
I purchased some torpedo sand susbstrate for an old tank and wanted to reuse it for a new 57 gallon I bought, which I will post pictures up soon. What I wanted to do was use the old susbstrate and rinse it and place it onto the new tank, since it will be my show tank if you will. I want to know the proper way to clean the susbtrate for use again, besides a good rinse and aggitation I would say should i put any chemicals such as chlorine to make sure I get that nice whitty sand look or anything? or does anyone here have a nice method or trick? Finally i know i should have asked this first, will it be ok to reuse the susbtrate? im guessing yes substrate is substrate but I just want to make sure. thank you all and will post some pictures on a thread on progess.

William Palumbo
11-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Tho I do not mess with gravel or sand as much anymore, I always cleaned it by just putting it in a bucket, and running straight hot water from my tap into it, stirring it up with a piece of wood or PVC, and letting it sit for sometime. My hot water comes out scalding hot+chlorinated always did the trick without using any chems...Bill