PDA

View Full Version : Lighting in my 180

saltydog
11-30-2010, 10:27 AM
So right now I am running 2 x 250 watt MH and 2 x 54 watt T5's and would like to decrease my watts and power consumption. I need enough lighting for my plants. I have mostly anubias, javas, crypts swords etc... I have also considered LEDs and T5's. I would love to stop dosing CO2 as with my overflows I am not even sure it is really as effective as it should be. i do not mind continuing to run it but if it is really not doing any good then i do not mind going with some lower lighting if that will off set it.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Second Hand Pat
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM
In another thread created by cooksa, she bought these http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=370

They are inexpensive and I would consider keeping the current fixture and use the T5, but not use the MH and mount two of these LED fixtures if you have room.

saltydog
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I have plenty of room but those LED's are VERY low wattage. so that concerns me. i am watching that thread though and will be curious to see how they work. Love the price. I have a canopy with about 16 inch clearance to the water surface so I will have to take that into consideration.
My set up is a retro set up and the MH and T5's are seperate. so I can keep the t5's and get rid of the MH no problem there.

Second Hand Pat
11-30-2010, 11:14 AM
You might consider contacting the maker of those LED. The writeout indicates that...

"These LED light panels are perfect as all year permanent Aquarium and Plant lights for Fish, Amphibians, Reptiles, Mammals, Insects and Plant tanks and benches. They are especially productive for spring vegetable and flower seedling development."

My concern would be ensuring enough light to reach the bottom of your tank which I assume is 24 in. (6x2x2). Would be a great solution if enough light. I also run 2 54W T5s over my 100 gallon which has a height of 22 inches.

I had a 180 10 years ago. I left it in the wall of my previous house. Loved that tank and it's dimensions.

saltydog
11-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Good idea. i think i will do that. I agree though the depth is my concern and also taking into consideration the height of the canopy.

saltydog
11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Ok so i think i may bite the bullet and try and sale my MH set up and get four or five of these and see what happens. i will give them a call first though. I am hoping with these and the combo of the two T5's will be sufficient for the plants I have

saltydog
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Ok so i read some reviews on these lights and most people with planted tanks are saying they are barely enough light output to be used as a night light :( So much for saving a few bucks.

Second Hand Pat
11-30-2010, 12:38 PM
boo...sorry, looked promising.

Herbicidal
11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
On my 155g with a canopy (29" from substrate to light fixtures) I have two, Catalina T5 HO retro-fit units with 2-39watt bulbs each mounted to the underside of the canopy. I leave them on for 10 hours per day, recently up from 8 hours. I'm trying to borrow a PAR meter from my local aquatic plant club so I know what my light level is. I believe I'm in the low to medium-low category. I have a healthy clean up crew consisting of 3 Clown plecos and a dozen nerite snails. With the addition of these guys, they have completely cleaned the leaves of the Anubias and are going to town on the rest of the tank! Thus, the increase in the photo period to 10 hours per day. I want to ensure these guys have food too! I'm not running CO2 either and I'm very happy with how the plants are doing. I'm going to start dosing dry-ferts (mixing my own) soon.

Anyway, check out the retro-fit lights from Catalina.

saltydog
12-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks, I checked them out. They have some nice stuff. Although i did not see where they individual lights with individual reflectors. No biggie really but i would like to be able to stagger a few 60 inch lights

Offpath
12-03-2010, 03:28 AM
If you're interested in lighting from Catalina and don't see exactly what you want on their website, give them a call. They do a ton of custom lighting, and they're very fast and reasonably priced.

noved
12-09-2010, 04:17 AM
the plants you mention can all do well in relatively low lighting. I have a 24" high 90 gallon with the catalina 4x54 fixture. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the fact that I have a few plants that need very high light I would do more then fine with only a 2x54 fixture. Unless your growing micro sword, baby tear etc. 2x54 will be more then adequate for what you have.