PDA

View Full Version : manacapura red back angels

runner
11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Does anybody raise manacapuras and if so do they require special care above what reg. angels require?
Jay

Ryan
12-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Are you interested in wilds or tank-raised juveniles from wilds?

Most scalare variants are pretty easy to care for. I've bred tank-raised angels for years but I've also dabbled in wilds. My observation with the wilds is that they are more aggressive with each other and they are not as easily spawned. I always had the best luck spawning wild males to tank-raised females. If I had played with my water chemistry I may have had better luck. I'd recommend a fairly large tank if you're raising out a group because they do beat up on each other quite a bit as they mature.

Otherwise, just give them clean, warm water, a variety of foods, and lots of space, and they're just like most any other angelfish. The trick is getting good quality ones to start with. Sometimes importers have trouble with small wild angels crashing and dying. If you get them past that stage, they shouldn't be an issue. If you're getting tank-raised red backs, that's even better!

Jennie
12-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Ryan that's the Problem people experience with the true altums also. Wish they were easier, I'd have a tank full of them!

runner
12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Ryan
Thanks for the reply.They are tank raised from wilds and will be coming from "Angels plus". I've raised a ton of angels so all things considered I guess I'll be ok.
, Jay