PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) low impact water filler

aalbina
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
My juvies were always freaking out when I pumped new water back into the tank after siphoning out the old water. The pressure wasn't really high but it was enough to push them around. So I dropped by my local hardware store, picked up 11.50 worth of pvc and fittings and a package of suction cup window candle holders for 2.99. I use a quiet one 1200 pump to pump clean water from my 5 gallon bucket into the tank. (I use a siphon to get it from my storage tank to the 5 gallon bucket). The gray fitting is a quick disconnect so I can detach the filler from the hose if need to.

Next is the pump project to push the water straight from storage to the tank so I don't have to hump three or four buckets of water up stairs from the basement every day.

This device hangs on the tank and is secured with suction cups. I take a third suction cup and stick it on the front of the tank to hold the end of the hose up while I go back to the storage tank to refill the bucket. Then I just drop that end of the hose enough to get the air out of the line - put my thumb over it and put it back in the bucket - pump is then primed. Switch on the pump and drink coffee while the tank fills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UZ7TBp4X0

Adam