PDA

View Full Version : Shipping?

wendy9722
12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
What all do you do to ship discus? What supplies etc?. Where do you get the supplies? I couldnt find anything on here on how to do it. Anyone have a pictures step by step process?
Thanks and God bless:)

William Palumbo
12-04-2010, 08:53 PM
There is actually a "sticky" in the General Discussion forum, by Al, that is very, very good...and step by step...Bill

wendy9722
12-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks I will check it out.
God bless,
Wendy

kent1963
12-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Lol you don't waste any time! I was just reading your thread about eggs and now your looking at shipping.:confused:... I'm just teasing good luck!

wendy9722
12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
No I'm not wanting to ship anything at this time or any time soon. But in the future it would be a good thing to know if I'd want to. Plus I read allot of ads and so forth on here that people dont know how to I thought it would be a good post.... In hopes to get a pro to answer

Jhhnn
12-05-2010, 09:16 AM
No I'm not wanting to ship anything at this time or any time soon. But in the future it would be a good thing to know if I'd want to. Plus I read allot of ads and so forth on here that people dont know how to I thought it would be a good post.... In hopes to get a pro to answer

Order some fish from Kenny- Then you'll have first hand knowledge wrt proper technique...

mmorris
12-05-2010, 10:23 AM
There is quite a bit on the forum about shipping. No matter how much you read, though, you will find some of your questions are simply not answered and you will have to ask. Then, the biggest issue is the expense. You are going to need to buy/rent an oxygen tank along with bag buddies, bags, rubber bands, insulation, boxes, a scale (for the first time, anyway), heat packs, liner bags..that's all I can think of offhand. When I was learning initially, I thought that shipping is not something you do once or twice. Start-up costs are too high.

Justice
12-05-2010, 12:34 PM
www.Kensfish.com has shipping supplies

LizStreithorst
12-05-2010, 01:57 PM
There is quite a bit on the forum about shipping. No matter how much you read, though, you will find some of your questions are simply not answered and you will have to ask. Then, the biggest issue is the expense. You are going to need to buy/rent an oxygen tank along with bag buddies, bags, rubber bands, insulation, boxes, a scale (for the first time, anyway), heat packs, liner bags..that's all I can think of offhand. When I was learning initially, I thought that shipping is not something you do once or twice. Start-up costs are too high.

I have all the stuff and have shipped and received fish many times. I got screwed royaly only once by a hot supplier at the time, who is no longer in business. Mostly it works out fine, but sometimes not. The times that it does not are not worth the stress. Rarely are the screw ups on unimportant shipments. Just wait until you have to make important shipments. The odds of failure go up exponentially.

Perhaps I have just had bad luck. Kenny seems to have it down as does Hansie. Ofcourse, both of these guys take shipping losses into account when they set their prices. I love Hansie's idea that when in transit, a white box with a fancy graphics is taken better care of than a plain brown box with arrows and "Live Fish" written on it.

My opinion is that shipping is cursed. Look at Hudson's nightmares just lately. He's a pro and he's loosing sleep over a big shipment that has been lost by the airline. Replacing that shipment means that he did a whole lot of work for nothing, and has to go out and do the same work again for free to make it right.

I hope never to ship Discus again, although I will never say never. What's best for me now is to breed and select the best for my breeding program and peddle the rest to the LFSs or send them to the wholesaler, or if that fails feed the the ones that I don't choose to keep to the plants in my garden.

My dream is to have people travel long distances to PU their fish. Not damn likely in the near future because the goals of a breeding don't proceed at a lightening pace they and require a good bit of luck.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm trying to save you a lot of stress and heartache.

wendy9722
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I have all the stuff and have shipped and received fish many times. I got screwed royaly only once by a hot supplier at the time, who is no longer in business. Mostly it works out fine, but sometimes not. The times that it does not are not worth the stress. Rarely are the screw ups on unimportant shipments. Just wait until you have to make important shipments. The odds of failure go up exponentially.

Perhaps I have just had bad luck. Kenny seems to have it down as does Hansie. Ofcourse, both of these guys take shipping losses into account when they set their prices. I love Hansie's idea that when in transit, a white box with a fancy graphics is taken better care of than a plain brown box with arrows and "Live Fish" written on it.

My opinion is that shipping is cursed. Look at Hudson's nightmares just lately. He's a pro and he's loosing sleep over a big shipment that has been lost by the airline. Replacing that shipment means that he did a whole lot of work for nothing, and has to go out and do the same work again for free to make it right.

I hope never to ship Discus again, although I will never say never. What's best for me now is to breed and select the best for my breeding program and peddle the rest to the LFSs or send them to the wholesaler, or if that fails feed the the ones that I don't choose to keep to the plants in my garden.

My dream is to have people travel long distances to PU their fish. Not damn likely in the near future because the goals of a breeding don't proceed at a lightening pace they and require a good bit of luck.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm trying to save you a lot of stress and heartache.

As I said,
I am not looking to do any kind of shipping any time soon. I read that post about Hudson loosing his shipment. That would make me cry none stop for God knows how long. That is a HUGE loss!!! I have enough worrying about other personal stuff none the less shipping live beauties and finding out they died or got lost. Especally if I raised them and put my heart into them and find that out. I put my heart into them before I even get them. Kinda messed up but that is me. A big hearted person. I'd want some supplies for when I travel with them to a store or get rid of or meet someone. Not through the mail system. If I can't get my regular bill what makes you think I could trust something like that especially during holiday season. Anyway, I thought it would be a good post for others that would like to try it or even just ship shorter distances so people spend less on gas and mantainace of the cars. Anyway good luck to all that do ship during the holiday season and year round. I wish I could go all over the world to pick up discus and bring them home safely but I know thats not possible. Its a good dream though