PDA

View Full Version : another failer jager heater!!!!

jimg
12-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't know what happened to jagers but this is the 3rd heater in last few months that stays lit and does not get hot.
I wondered why one of my breeding pairs didn't eat. I check water and it was 71 deg. 200w less than 8 months old.
NOT HAPPY WITH JAGER ANYMORE!!!!

roclement
12-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Move to SERA heaters, phenomenal! I have Jager in four breeders and they do OK, I have a 150watt SERA in a 30 long, in a cold part of my house and it's always perfect.

Rodrigo

jimg
12-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Rod I will try them. I have some Eheim things still working for 15+ years. I guess the quality is gone there too. The one that went bad is the one they just sent me a couple weeks ago. I just noticed to that on the receipt that I got with this replacement they dated it 17/11/2005 maybe trick they play.

Greenheinie
12-17-2010, 01:32 PM
My second defective Jager did that...light on/no heat. The replacement (under warranty) has been working well...knock on wood...for the past two months. Keep calling Eheim until you get a hold of Ernesto. He's in charge of repairs/warranty stuff. It'll take forever, but sooner or later you'll get your replacement.

roundfishross
12-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Move to SERA heaters, phenomenal! I have Jager in four breeders and they do OK, I have a 150watt SERA in a 30 long, in a cold part of my house and it's always perfect.

Rodrigo

plus +1

via aqua are really cheap and seem to work well also

jimg
12-18-2010, 09:15 PM
plus +1

via aqua are really cheap and seem to work well also

i used them before, I found they keep consistent temp but the glass breaks too easy. I'm going to try some sera heaters, thanks

KEWX
12-19-2010, 01:33 AM
How about Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heaters and Temperature Controller?

jpdevol
12-19-2010, 02:22 AM
My hypothesis regarding the growing reliability problems in auqarium heaters is the outsourcing of the circuit boards to developing countries. That is based on my 30+ years as a motorcycle dealer.

During the 1970's through late 1990's motorcycle electronics were designed and made in Japan or Germany (even for Harleys). Electronic circuit board problems and failures were nearly unheard of. Then begining in 2002-2003 many OEM's began outsourcing the electronic component manufacturing to Mexico and China. The most glaring example - in my experience - was with Honda ATV's. 2001 and prior models had a good reputation as bulletproof. Begining in 2003 we began to see electrical problems right and left. Come to find many components were made in Mexico! Service bulletins finally acknowledged such in subsequent years, but by then the decades long reputation was severley damaged and their market-share had plummeted from 45%+ to barely 20%.

I suspect a similar sad dynamic is occuring at Marineland and Eheim

jimg
12-19-2010, 10:31 AM
My hypothesis regarding the growing reliability problems in auqarium heaters is the outsourcing of the circuit boards to developing countries. That is based on my 30+ years as a motorcycle dealer.

During the 1970's through late 1990's motorcycle electronics were designed and made in Japan or Germany (even for Harleys). Electronic circuit board problems and failures were nearly unheard of. Then begining in 2002-2003 many OEM's began outsourcing the electronic component manufacturing to Mexico and China. The most glaring example - in my experience - was with Honda ATV's. 2001 and prior models had a good reputation as bulletproof. Begining in 2003 we began to see electrical problems right and left. Come to find many components were made in Mexico! Service bulletins finally acknowledged such in subsequent years, but by then the decades long reputation was severley damaged and their market-share had plummeted from 45%+ to barely 20%.

I suspect a similar sad dynamic is occuring at Marineland and Eheim

I hear the same thing from techs with controllers and meters that go bad.

jimg
12-19-2010, 10:34 AM
How about Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heaters and Temperature Controller?

I tried titanium before and didnt get more than a couple months out of them. I never tried finnex though. I have ranco controllers on the larger tanks. Doesn't matter if you have a controller when the light lights but the heater does not not heat.

2075turner
12-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I had two tanks boil because of them and now I have a heater that is unconsistant with the temp. It was set at 29 and stayed there for months then I noticed it went up to 32 (my paranoia has me checking all my tanks twice a day now) I turned it down two notches then the heater doesn't go on at all. The temp over night went down to 27. To the garbage it went. I believe that Jager doesn't have the same quality that it once had.....I don't trust them at all anymore.

jimg
12-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I had two tanks boil because of them and now I have a heater that is unconsistant with the temp. It was set at 29 and stayed there for months then I noticed it went up to 32 (my paranoia has me checking all my tanks twice a day now) I turned it down two notches then the heater doesn't go on at all. The temp over night went down to 27. To the garbage it went. I believe that Jager doesn't have the same quality that it once had.....I don't trust them at all anymore.

Most of the tanks with Jagers never seem to stay at the same temp. i just disregarded it figuring their gonna last and not quit so I lived with not liking the changes. When I have the fry I like to keep temp the same as aged water, but it always changes a deg or 2 with the jagers I have so I add hot/cold tap as needed.

roclement
12-19-2010, 06:13 PM
as far as I know, SERA are still made in Germany, no?

Rodrigo

jimg
12-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Rodrigo

everything made by Germans are the best!!! Don't know what happened to Eheim....

roundfishross
12-19-2010, 06:29 PM
hey Rod ,
the only con I have noticed for the sera is that I couldnt find a ul rating on them. buyt I do believe they are still made in germany.

jimg
12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Heinsburg Germany

roclement
12-19-2010, 06:55 PM
not sure if they are Ul listed but they sure work! Same with the old Jaggers, not listed bt worked...so much for that....:)

Rodrigo

2075turner
12-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Most of the tanks with Jagers never seem to stay at the same temp. i just disregarded it figuring their gonna last and not quit so I lived with not liking the changes. When I have the fry I like to keep temp the same as aged water, but it always changes a deg or 2 with the jagers I have so I add hot/cold tap as needed.

Seeing as I lost some of my beloved fish beforehand, it's not worth the gamble to have them in there especially when temps start changing and I see that they are not working properly.

jpdevol
12-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Yes Rod - if SERA heaters are 100% German they should be quality, reliable heaters. I do not know that to be fact though (checked their website but no statement to that effect). Thankfully, I currently have a bunch of Visi Therms (glass tubes, NOT Stealth) that are working perfectly with no fluctuation (me knocking on wood).

I'm not concerned with the UL rating as that is mostly a formality when dealing with a known reputable manufacturer.

Next heater, I will try to track-down a SERA and give them a shot.

Jhhnn
01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I've had no issues with the several blue Jagers currently in use at my place. If you want sera's, try Aquacave, the only US web vendor I know of that's offering them.

Or check it out here, where they list many US retailers-

http://www.sera.de/us/products/technical-equipment/aquarium-heater/sera-aquarium-heater.html?0=

roundfishross
01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Mikes tropical fish in thompson Ga. he sells sera products a real stand up guy and his prices are as good as any internet source I have seen!!

katurner35
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Woke up this morning and my 55 holding the fish for my community tank was locked on. It was set at 77F and the tank was at 88.7F.It is a 250 watt jager and the box says made in Germany.Wonder where the components were made?I called the LFS and they said they will replace it. It is less than 2 weeks old.My next heaters will be another brand.

seanyuki
01-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Just noticed the LFS selling the Ehiem heaters.....they got a new box cover and not sure they if they got a new model ....any clues?

they got a red part near the knob.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/ehiemheaters.jpg

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=22042&large=/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-72608-52623-fish-supply.jpg

jimg
01-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I've been having Jager problems too.. bought some Sera's from Aqua-cave. So far I like them!

katurner35
01-08-2011, 07:57 PM
The LFS replaced the 250w for me yesterday and now another jager 250w I have is messed up. The red pointer moves about 1/4 inch in each direction when I adjust the temp, so much for calibration.It should only move when forced, not with the blue temp dial.Some companies always screw up a good thing.I have 2 rena smart heaters, about 4 months old, on cannister intakes in my 75 and so far they are rock solid.

moik
01-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Any first hand experiences with these sera heaters..I am switching my stealths over to jagars now and so so happy with the jagars..

roclement
01-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Any first hand experiences with these sera heaters..I am switching my stealths over to jagars now and so so happy with the jagars..

I have two and sent one over to Bob, they are rock solid, no calibration needed, have never had an issue, at all...but I also never had issues with Ebo's...there, I just jinxed myself!

Rodrigo

moik
01-08-2011, 09:53 PM
How long have been using the Seras?? are they built with thick glass tubes like the jagars??

roclement
01-08-2011, 10:27 PM
How long have been using the Seras?? are they built with thick glass tubes like the jagars??

I've used many of them over the years, they do not look as solid as the ebo's but they work!

Rodrigo

Jhhnn
01-08-2011, 11:47 PM

I ordered one from Aquacave to try- not that I've had any trouble with jagers. Their website that I linked above says 2mm glass, like jagers, but doesn't say what kind. The box says manufactured in the EU. They're CSA certified, not UL that I can find. No big deal. Non-polarized flat 2 prong cord. Pilot light. They have a whole different way of arranging the heater wires inside than jagers, and come with a plastic guard. The 300w I have is considerably shorter than a jager of the same wattage- 14" vs 18". I'll get it going rather shortly, see how it does.

Altogether decent price & service from Aquacave, btw.

leeishom
01-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Companies want to have their products made in China or Mexico, it's due to have the production cost low/lowered.
China is renown to produce fake goods, low level workmanship etc. because there's a market for them and western companies want these countries workers work for cheap.

Jhhnn
01-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Companies want to have their products made in China or Mexico, it's due to have the production cost low/lowered.
China is renown to produce fake goods, low level workmanship etc. because there's a market for them and western companies want these countries workers work for cheap.

I think it's a mistake to discount the quality of Chinese goods. It all depends on the headset of the people running the operation & their emphasis on quality control. I am occasionally amazed at the quality & price of Chinese goods.

When I was a boy, in the 1950's, Japanese goods were mostly cheap crap, something that changed tremendously over the following 20 years. Chinese goods are following a similar pattern, except they've become better faster. Much of the reason they're as inexpensive as they are is because of currency imbalance, an intentional undervaluing of the Yuan to promote growth and employment in China.

Japanese workers suffer from the same offshoring efforts to China as American workers, btw....

David Rose
01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I had two 250W in one of my tanks that went into service in June 2009 just go bad around the holidays. Now I have two new 300W jagers to replace them. Fingers crossed! I haven't tried the SERA, but I haven't seen them sold locally or by my supplier. I played phone tag for awhile the the SERA rep, but never actually connected. A little disappointing. I'll give it another try though this week.

I also use Finnex with and without integrated controllers. I liked them pretty well, but do tend to be forgetful in turning it off in my aging barrel and have fried a couple. I recently became a re-seller of Finnex products; however, shortly after getting my account set up received a memo stating pricing was going to escalate in 2011, so I'm waiting to see what happens before offering them on my website. I like them, but I think the titanium are pricing enough already. I've used a couple of models of for 300W, 500W and 800W with separate controller.

I do like the Via Aqua brand, but have only used one titanium with integrated controller. It performs well and the price isn't bad. I also use a Rena Smart Heater 300W, which has performed very well connected to my Rena XP3 intake tube.

When it comes down to it, I have to wonder if there are really any good heaters... at least from the models and brands that I've tried. For now, I'm sticking with Eheim, ViaAqua, Rena Smart, and Finnex depending on the size of the tank and it's location. I mention location because, I have a 125 G tank in my four season room that isn't heated at night time. The Finnex titaniums have done a great job keeping the temp consistent with temps in the room dropping into the 30s during the night.

That's my 2cents

PS: I hear Hydor inline heaters are great....I have two, but haven't tried them.

roclement
01-09-2011, 12:41 PM
As far as I know, SERA no longer has USA representation since late 2009. WHat is available here is moslty "old" new stock so grab them while you can! I am sure someone may be importing SERA products but not by SERA itself.

As a sidenote, Aquacave is great to deal with!

Rodrigo

roundfishross
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
process technologies its made in the usa and will absolutly be the last heator you ever have to buy!!

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/cd945b5f.jpg
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/350f0096.jpg
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/68421e27.jpg

JEB
01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
I recently returned 2 visitherm stealth heaters which were inaccurate. The company replaced them with no problem. Now the 2 replacements are 2 months old and the 300 watt started sizzling and hissing in the tank. The 250 watt was adjusted to 84 degrees and allowed one of my 55 gallon tanks to drop to 78 degrees. I now sent both warranty replacements back and I guess they will be replaced again but I definitely feel they can no longer be trusted.

TURQ64
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Ross, That's a dandy sump heater. How many yankee frogskins do they run???..Thanks ahead of time. Gary

roundfishross
01-15-2011, 12:08 AM
honestly turq64 this was a freebie from a repair job so I have no idea? I do know that they are sold at aquatic eco systems ryan can hook that up for you! its the moat amazing heater I've ever seen the heat just keeps pouring out of this thing looooooong after the thermo cuts it off,, very efficient!

Upper Canada
01-15-2011, 12:43 AM
I have tossed more the 12 Ebo 250's into the crapper over the last few years. Their smaller ones, 50's, 100's and 150's seem to work better.

I still use a few of the older green ebos, built like tanks.

I would not get overly enthusiastic with Sera either, after say 2 years they died. When I first secured them I was impressed with the construction, but I always had a feeling they were made by someone else, ....... who also had thick glass.

Bob

David Rose
01-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Rodrigo

Yes, and they have a USA distributor actually located in Pennsylvania. I've contacted the National sales rep rather than the regional. We'll see if IGO PRO can offer Sera sometime in the near future.

SeaDragon
01-28-2011, 11:12 PM
I tried titanium before and didnt get more than a couple months out of them. I never tried finnex though. I have ranco controllers on the larger tanks. Doesn't matter if you have a controller when the light lights but the heater does not not heat.

I have 2 of the finnex 200 watt with digital controller in my 55gal and 2 300 watts with digital controller in my 90gal both seem to be ok, not super though, worried about the Discus hurting them selfs on them because they have no cover and when they turn on to heat they get really hot. work well and i like to be able to set the temp and know exactly what its set for (I have two thermometers in both the tanks just to be safe) they are always pretty close to spot on.

its interesting to see that a lot of Jager's have failed I've had a 100 watt in my 28gal for about 3 years now no problem, guess I got lucky :P

jimg
01-29-2011, 10:25 AM
I have 2 of the finnex 200 watt with digital controller in my 55gal and 2 300 watts with digital controller in my 90gal both seem to be ok, not super though, worried about the Discus hurting them selfs on them because they have no cover and when they turn on to heat they get really hot. work well and i like to be able to set the temp and know exactly what its set for (I have two thermometers in both the tanks just to be safe) they are always pretty close to spot on.

its interesting to see that a lot of Jager's have failed I've had a 100 watt in my 28gal for about 3 years now no problem, guess I got lucky :P

I wouldn't condemn jagers too much. I had 3 fail but I also use about 15 or so some that are very old. now that I said that another will fail!