PDA

View Full Version : What can be added or changed

kuskus78
12-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the help from all, but have a few more questions.

I decided to go with a Gal (60"L,18"D,24"T), wet and dry filter with protein skimmer, 4 Bulb VHO lights, sand bottom. Its a tank i bought a while ago and never set it up for salt so I'm deciding to use it for my discus tank. Now questions:

-How deep should the sand be?

-Suggested water quality?

-Plants still not sure what kind?

-Additives (salt,discus treatments,..)?

Any other feed back that i need to know and or add to get tank set up and running to make sure its going to work for discus?

Thanks, John

Jennie
12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Are you going with large discus or juvies?? First time with discus? these forums full of valuable info. I wood put some time in and start reading!:)

kuskus78
12-19-2010, 07:02 PM
First time with discus more than likly will be juvies? I have been reading alot, great site.

Thanks.

Jennie
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Best advice, go Bare Bottom till you get some size on them...that's not saying you can't add driftwood with plants attached, but because you have to feed them so much, the tank will get dirty fast, and that requires allot of cleaning. If you MUST have something on the bottom, add a very thin layer of pool sand

Eddie
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
A protein skimmer is worthless on a freshwater tank, especially a discus tank.

I'd suggest 3.5" fish or larger.

fishorama
12-19-2010, 08:25 PM
A good water conditioner like Prime, bare bottom is great for juvies (they eat & poo a lot), if you decide to try sand a thin layer is good but I removed mine with juvies after 2 weeks...Nitrates 5-maybe 10ppm at most. Skip the skimmer, no need in freshwater. No salt or other treatment if the fish are healthy. If you go with plants I'd suggest low light(java fern, anubias) attached to driftwood, my potted plants are a PITA, poo catching places with "wildlife" ie stylaria & algae.

hedut
12-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Make sure you have metro in your cabinet :). Good luck;)

Jennie
12-19-2010, 09:23 PM
lol Hendri

aalbina
12-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Along with everyone else recommending bare bottom - if you have the opportunity to paint the bottom of the tank before you set it up, I would highly recommend it. Although I have my grow out tank sitting on insulating styrofoam - there was still quite a reflection and it seemed to confuse the fish. After I painted the bottom white - no more reflecting - and I can see every speck of uneaten food and waste. It looks much better as well! Also recommend going with 3.5 or 4 inch fish for best success.

Adam