PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Low Light Planted Discus Tank help

MKD
12-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi,

I need some helps to switching/upgrading from 100G bare bottom to 150G low light planted discus tank? I don't want to do it and later found out later. From what i've read here, it recommended to use swiming pool filter sand (SILICA SAND) at Leslie which i will get some later day when they open. Fill it up between 1-3 inches with slope from back to front. I already have some 48" Jebo regular lights, driftwood and aubius, but still looking for some more low light plants.

I am going to take out all my discus to a temporary tank, then setting up new tank with (old tank) plants, driftwood, filter and put the discus back. Please let me know if i'm missing anything or any suggestion would be appreciated.

thank you,

Tony

lee1
12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
The most important thing is getting the amount of light right. A safe bet would be about 225 watts of CF light. Second, sand may not be your best choice because it shows the slightest bit of algae.

MKD
12-20-2010, 02:36 PM
So what is the best choice for Substrate/ sand?

lee1
12-20-2010, 02:55 PM
anything that's not light in color. quartz gravel, laterite, flourite, eco-complete.

jerzguy
12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Make sure to have a air pump in the temporary tank. I did that mistake because I was upgarding from 72gal planted to a 125gal planted and did not have any pump in my 72gal.

For substrate there lot to pick from. Ecocomplete, ADA Aqua soil, Flurite and few more.

Second Hand Pat
12-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Careful with black substrate like eco-complete. It's great for plants but some discus will darken and PB based with pepper.

MKD
12-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Careful with black substrate like eco-complete. It's great for plants but some discus will darken and PB based with pepper.

so what do you suggest for discus?

Second Hand Pat
12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Most folks here would suggest pool filter sand because all the junk stays on top of the sand and it's easy to vacuum out. I had a tank with the eco-complete and the plants love it. But it amazed me on how much junk was still in the gravel after vacuuming. I have a little light layer of sand (no plants) and it is so much easier to clean. Plant will grow nicely in the sand BTW. I would suggest looking at some tank pictures to get a feel for what you might like.

discuspaul
12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Most folks here would suggest pool filter sand because all the junk stays on top of the sand and it's easy to vacuum out. I had a tank with the eco-complete and the plants love it. But it amazed me on how much junk was still in the gravel after vacuuming. I have a little light layer of sand (no plants) and it is so much easier to clean. Plant will grow nicely in the sand BTW. I would suggest looking at some tank pictures to get a feel for what you might like.

+ 1
Here's my 75 gal.planted tank with white silica pool filter sand for you to have a look at.
I have not had any problem with algae showing up on the sand surface, as I run 2 - 39W T5 HO for only 8-9 hrs/day - Plants are growing well as you will see.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/redrubys

MKD
12-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Great looking tank discuspaul.

Thank you for sharing,

chupa cabra
12-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I just started with discus a few week ago, and i have had sand in 2 of my tanks for a few years now and i have never seen any algae growing on the sand.
I also have about 4 marbled crayfish (self cloning) in my 240g tank, so when i feed all my discus they clean all the left over along with the 8 clown loaches

MKD
12-20-2010, 06:15 PM
do you run any uv light and what kind of light system??

MKD
12-22-2010, 08:00 AM
The most important thing is getting the amount of light right. A safe bet would be about 225 watts of CF light. Second, sand may not be your best choice because it shows the slightest bit of algae.

Do you think 48" 4 bulbs x 54 watts each bulb = 216. is it good enough for low light plants or i have to get 72" or 2 of 36" ones???

waj8
12-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Low light plants don't even need that much light. If you keep the light fixture well above the water surface, the light will spread out and should give you enough light coverage. Good reflectors are very, very important. The ends of the tank will be less well lit but not by much. You should be able to grow some medium light plants in the center of the tank. I think a sand substrate would be fine. I would use CO2 injection if I were you. With CO2 you will be able to grow a very wide variety of plants if that is what you are interested in. CO2 is the best thing you can do for plants regardless of lighting or substrate or other types of fertilization.

MKD
12-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I have co2 but affraid to use it. because I read 1 of the sticky thread, I may have a big problem due to I'm not good at discus or plant. So what you said, my plants will be ok with my jebo lights? I'm so confuse with lighting regard to 1 wpg.

waj8
12-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I am just saying that plants will always do better and look better with CO2. They will also thrive under lower light conditions with CO2 than without. It is more than half the battle. Watts per gallon has always just been a very rough guideline. These days with efficient fixtures, it means even less. 4 48" T5s will grow most things in your tank provided you provide good CO2 levels. I wouldn't be afraid to use the CO2 as long as you have a method of consistent and constant delivery. Don't use it if it's not stable. Uneven CO2 is bad for the fish and bad for the plants. However, the addition of CO2 is where you get the most for your money in a planted tank.

MKD
12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Don't use it if it's not stable. Uneven CO2 is bad for the fish and bad for the plants.
I know, that 's why i am not using it and give low light plants a try.

Thank you waj8

MKD
12-24-2010, 01:00 PM
OK, i am thinking to get 2x 36" t5 HO with 2 x 39w bulbs (1white, 1 pink or 1 blue. Color Temp For the White bulbs 6700K, 10000K or 14000K) . but i need some opinions to choose colors that will go with my discus planted tank???

Thank you and Merry X-Mas
Tony

jimg
12-24-2010, 02:09 PM
not sure about whether pink or blue is better but I would not go over 6700k. t5 are a good choice too. pc give off too much heat,don't last long and too expensive for what you get.
Merry Christmas

MKD
01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
i end up getting T5 HO 2X 36" 4x39W bulbs. Original 2 blues and 2 10000K white and replace 1 of blue to 6700K that makes 2 10K, 1 6700K total of 234W for 180 Gallon low light plants. Hopefully, it's fully running soon.

Thank you all for your advices,

Tony