PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid dirt patches in white pool sand?

Crockett
12-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Hello everyone, I am about to replace the substrate in my 175 gallon show tank with the white pool filter sand that I have been admiring in so many of the members tanks on this forum. However can anyone please advise as to whether there is any way to avoid the grey patches that may form under the sand due to the sand not being oxygenated sufficiently. I intend to use a gravel vacuum to do what I can to keep it clean, but my tank is really deep and I’m concerned I may miss certain areas when vacuuming. Also, as I only recently read about the dirt patches that may form in the pool sand, are there any issues with the formation of parasites etc in the un-oxygenated areas. My concern here is that the discus when grazing/ digging along the sand bottom they may dig into one of these areas, my concern is that these sections may harbor disease causing bacteria.

As I have never maintained a tank with pool sand, I’m looking for some tips to make life easier for me, i.e. how deep should I layer the sand and any other maintenance tips. I was somewhat surprised when I read about the lack of oxygenation and how it can change the appearance / color of the sand, so now I want to get information on any methods to avoid this or at least keep it to a minimum, keeping in mind that due to the depth of my tank it is somewhat difficult to get to all areas of the sand with a gravel siphon.

Thanks

Dave

wendy9722
12-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I have a tank that has sand at the bottom of it. I only used enough to color the bottom of the tank and thats it for the reasons you mentioned. Others say about half inch.

Good luck

Jennie
12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
those are anaerobic areas. Best way is too stir it up every couple water changes. I've tried MTS snails and those don't work. Best to do it by hand

discuspaul
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I've found the simplest solution is a relatively thin layer of sand to prevent anaeorobic pockets from forming.
1/2" in front, and approx., no more than 2.0 - 2.5" at the rear - just enough to firmly root your plantings. When doing water changes, you can occasionally lightly stir up the deeper sand areas with a "wand-type" implement of your choice - you shouldn't have any problems.

Hogman
12-21-2010, 07:04 AM
I have an oceanic 180 gal which is 24 inches deep. Got a mega long vacuum and cut a few inches off the end. Like some have mentioned, stirring it up good will help. My sand begins light browning in 24 hours. So, not what your wanting to hear, but I do daily to the bottom vacuumings, about 30 gallons worth. But I get up at about 0200 and don't have to be to work until 8. 24 years in the military will do that to ya. But, my sand is always bright white.

Crockett
12-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks all for the advice, it helps alot.

Hogman my tank is also a Oceanic, and like yours, mine is also 24 inches deep, I want to keep my sand bright white also, but to vacuum it everyday.... I may have to reconsider my plans. Then again, how many inches deep is the sand in your 180 gallon?

Crockett
12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I've found the simplest solution is a relatively thin layer of sand to prevent anaeorobic pockets from forming.
1/2" in front, and approx., no more than 2.0 - 2.5" at the rear - just enough to firmly root your plantings. When doing water changes, you can occasionally lightly stir up the deeper sand areas with a "wand-type" implement of your choice - you shouldn't have any problems.

Ok, sounds like I can can work with what your suggesting. I will give it a try.

Dave

discuspaul
12-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Dave,
I'm adding a link below to my discus tank with the pool filter sand, so you can have a look at the depth of the sand & get an idea what yours might look like when done. Over time, the white sand will tend to discolor very slightly & occasionally mine develops a very minute algae film in some spots, between w/c's - but hardly noticeable.
I simply stir it a up a bit & turn it over slightly - and it's just like new again. What's great about the silica pool filter sand is there's little or no dust to it, so will NOT cloud your water at all. You don't even need to rinse it when first setting it up - I didn't. This tank's been set up for about 3 months.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/redrubys
Hope this helps your decision.

jimg
12-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I have a tank that has sand at the bottom of it. I only used enough to color the bottom of the tank and thats it for the reasons you mentioned. Others say about half inch.

Good luck

+1

Discus-Hans
12-21-2010, 11:09 PM
20 ~ 25 Cory's will do the job I think, they are 95% of the time with their nose in the sand lol

Hans