PDA

View Full Version : Using linear vac pump as an air compressor

kaceyo
12-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know if a Medo vac pump that's got both IN and OUT hose connections can be used as an air pump?
I can get one for a good price but not sure if it will handle back pressure.
Thanks,

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Not sure to be honest. I had one customer earlier this year ask me the same question. I havent heard back from him, so I dont know how it worked for him. It seems like it would work atleast to some extent. Granted you probably wont get the same performance as a standard linear piston pump, but if you can get a good price for it then it's probably worth a shot. JMO

-Ryan

LizStreithorst
12-21-2010, 09:12 AM
It's the same pump as Jhemco uses but without the insulation. I've used the medos bought used and cheap on e-bay. They are indestructable. I never had one fail. They have to be set up right or the vibration can be noisy.

kaceyo
12-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Not sure to be honest. I had one customer earlier this year ask me the same question. I havent heard back from him, so I dont know how it worked for him. It seems like it would work atleast to some extent. Granted you probably wont get the same performance as a standard linear piston pump, but if you can get a good price for it then it's probably worth a shot. JMO

-Ryan
Hi Ryan,
I'm thinking the same thing. It looks identical to their linear air compressors except that it has both inlet and outlet fittings. If I get it I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks,

kaceyo
12-21-2010, 02:38 PM
It's the same pump as Jhemco uses but without the insulation. I've used the medos bought used and cheap on e-bay. They are indestructable. I never had one fail. They have to be set up right or the vibration can be noisy.
Hi Liz,
I picked one up from e-bay too and was surprised at how much stuff I can run with it as it's a small output model. They are great little pumps.

LizStreithorst
12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Mine would handle 20 devices.

kaceyo
12-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I only have 4 tanks so I got the smallest one they make, 2.9 lpm, and it runs 4 foam filters and my 55gal aging barrel with the airstone at the bottom. I paid less for it than I would have a new Wisper 60 (blue turtle) air pump and have no doubt that it will outlast one.

Jhhnn
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Medo makes a lot of pumps, many of which aren't listed on their website, unfortunately. It's here-

http://www.medousa.com/en/

Their low pressure series are basically what aquarists want. With the vacuum pumps, I'd think that comparisons can probably be made on the basis of airflow specs. I recently won an auction for one on ebay, ridiculously cheap, and it should be here in another 10 days or so, shipping the slow, cheap USPS way from Puerto Rico. I wanted one as a backup to my blue ox DAPPH30 diaphragm airpump from Jehmco, and I'm curious as to their construction, anyway.

kaceyo
01-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Medo makes a lot of pumps, many of which aren't listed on their website, unfortunately. It's here-

http://www.medousa.com/en/

Their low pressure series are basically what aquarists want. With the vacuum pumps, I'd think that comparisons can probably be made on the basis of airflow specs. I recently won an auction for one on ebay, ridiculously cheap, and it should be here in another 10 days or so, shipping the slow, cheap USPS way from Puerto Rico. I wanted one as a backup to my blue ox DAPPH30 diaphragm airpump from Jehmco, and I'm curious as to their construction, anyway.

I think you'll be very happy with it. I've gotten two at under $20 ea and both were well beyond my expectations.
They have been going for next to nothing lately on e-bay if you spend some time looking, which is why I can afford to buy a couple of low output models that usually go for near the same as the higher output pumps.

LizStreithorst
01-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't believe that they are going so cheap right now. If I remember correctly the least I ever paid for one was $30. I usually paid more like $50. What a cheap price to pay for a pump that can run 20 devices!

kaceyo
01-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I can't believe that they are going so cheap right now. If I remember correctly the least I ever paid for one was $30. I usually paid more like $50. What a cheap price to pay for a pump that can run 20 devices!

I know. Did you go there and check it out? A great time to get back up pumps before the prices go back up again.

MGKelly
01-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Which medousa models do you recommend for 20 plus devices?

thnx, Joe