PDA

View Full Version : I WANT A SEAHORSE

Discus_1
12-24-2010, 01:50 AM
i want a seahorse D: there probably one of the coolest marine fish , except ive been reading there fairly ard to take care of, because if there diet and how they eat :/ How many gallons would a common seahorse need ?

BABYJIZAY
12-24-2010, 02:53 AM
If you go with dwarf seahorses, they get a tank up to just 10 gallons. Bigger ones should be in tall tanks and no bigger than a 55. Recommended size is a 29. Just google "seahorse tank size"

vera
12-24-2010, 03:54 AM
i want a seahorse D: there probably one of the coolest marine fish , except ive been reading there fairly ard to take care of, because if there diet and how they eat :/ How many gallons would a common seahorse need ?

they r so cool + sea-dragons are ones that fascinate me the most , i think they require lots of attention (no holidays for keeper :)) and there are many dwarf sp. as well , check it out what i googled , 2.5 cm utmost

http://www.underwater.com.au/content/6303/pygmy_seahorse_pink.jpg

dpt8
12-24-2010, 08:29 AM
I have a pair of kudas in a 29 gl. with sand and live rock. They are doing quite well. I hand feed them twice a day with Pricine energetics mysis shrimp and change their water 20% about every week. Keep them at 73 degrees.. I have a heater and aquaclear 70 on their tank. Seahorse.org is a sight that is like ours here only its for seahorses. Definitely buy tank raised. Do not mix any fish with them unless its like a mandarin. A couple seahorses together do much better than just one alone.

Discus_1
12-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Thats a really cool seahorse :D , and i have read about the mini's ,. ive got an old 10g freshwater, but would it be possible to convert that to saltwater ?

roclement
12-24-2010, 09:01 PM
go to seahourse.org, read up, contact the owner of the site Matt, he is helpful and a wealth of information. Will save you a lot of agravation and money.

Rodrigo

DiscusKev
12-31-2010, 10:57 PM
lol Vera, that one look like a candy, so awesome!

Second Hand Pat
12-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Thats a really cool seahorse :D , and i have read about the mini's ,. ive got an old 10g freshwater, but would it be possible to convert that to saltwater ?

Yes as long as it has never been treated with copper.

Discus_1
01-08-2011, 03:13 PM
i dont think i have... LOL.

vera
01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
lol Vera, that one look like a candy, so awesome!

lol Kevin , imagine a tribe of these , sweeeeeet !and ltl pouches filled with ponies :)

vera
01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
i dont think i have... LOL.

Did u get any ?

Matt0matic
01-08-2011, 05:07 PM
If I do a salt water tank it would be with seahorses; they are just too cool looking. I love going to the aquariums for the seahorse sections.

vera
01-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Yes as long as it has never been treated with copper.

Pat, did u keep seahorses in yr SW

mkv
01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
seahorse.org is a great site, the equivalent of this forum for seahorses. Great deal of information. You will see that no matter what you want to make sure you get captive bred seahorses. Wild caught are a 50-50 chance of sucess........ Just my two pennies

Second Hand Pat
01-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Pat, did u keep seahorses in yr SW

I had three dwarf seahorses in my daughter's pico tank. These were wild caught but were eating frozen baby brine and another type of tiny shrimp I can not remember the name of. While these guys were in a 3 gallon pico I would recommend at least a 10 gallon and a larger seahorse so you can see the darn things. The dwarfs are pretty small. In the picture you can see one in the gorgonian (branchy thing). Another thing with seahorses they are weak swimmers and can not handle much of a current. So any filter inlets sure have a prefilter of some sort so the seahorses do not get struck to the inlet from the flow.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/75%20Update/photo.jpg

vera
01-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Nice ! does it have a sump Pat , what is that red hairy thing at the bottom

Second Hand Pat
01-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Nice ! does it have a sump Pat , what is that red hairy thing at the bottom

It has a small HOB filter which you can see in the picture. The tank, lamp and filter is sold as a kit. The red hairy thing is a flame scallop which is native to Florida and surrounding waters.

vera
01-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I've seen nano SW before , seems like a nice mini system

Second Hand Pat
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I've seen nano SW before , seems like a nice mini system

They are. One in my picture is 3 gallons.

captainandy
01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I raised seahorses a few years back and, in my opinion,are the most challenging of all fresh and saltwater fish to keep. Unless you maintain them at 73 or below, they are constantly getting all types of disease. Also, they should be fed 3-4 times a day as they have very short intestines and thus poor nutrient absorption .
Dwarfs are easier but they only eat live foods.
Doing it on a lark is a setup for disaster. Even more time and effort need than Discus or reef