PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to fully grow a discus...

Mathman
12-25-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm trying to do an experiment by keeping a juvenile discus (2.0 in) in a 5gallon tank. Will this discus grow to it's full size Igbo keep the tank bottomless? Can I feed him/ her
5 times a day and see if the growth ratenis fast? Thanks guys

Eddie
12-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Nope, won't work. Besides, 1 fish in a 5 gallon is not how the fish thrive. They prefer/do better in groups. Good luck though

hironobu
12-25-2010, 05:54 PM
I would plead with you not to as well. It is like putting a tiger in a dog cage. Not very humane and appropriate.

hedut
12-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm trying to do an experiment by keeping a juvenile discus (2.0 in) in a 5gallon tank. Will this discus grow to it's full size Igbo keep the tank bottomless? Can I feed him/ her
5 times a day and see if the growth ratenis fast? Thanks guys

Man, that same thing with you , would you use 5 yrs kids shirt ???

Mathman
12-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys. I already have a 60 gallon tank with 6 discus. It's hard to grow them since it's a community tank with plants all over the place. What if I have two juveniles for say 1 months and feed them all the time and the transfer them to the big tank?

PAR23
12-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Still not a good idea in a 5 gallon tank.....Growth in 1 month under optimal condition is only about 0.5 inches....Not much gained in 1 month.

hedut
12-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Its doesn't make any different in or out community tank as long as you do as much as you could do WC they'll grow big :)

Mathman
12-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Wow it's 3:30am just got back from partying. Anyways, so you are saying that my discus can grow big in a planted aquarium if enough food is provided and if water changes are done frequently. In a 60 gallon setup how often should I be doing water changes if I want my discus to be healthy and grow their fool potential? Btw, by juvies are not eating much since the bigger discus are a bit more aggressive. Sorry for the questions I'm a noob.

kaceyo
12-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Wow it's 3:30am just got back from partying. Anyways, so you are saying that my discus can grow big in a planted aquarium if enough food is provided and if water changes are done frequently. In a 60 gallon setup how often should I be doing water changes if I want my discus to be healthy and grow their fool potential? Btw, by juvies are not eating much since the bigger discus are a bit more aggressive. Sorry for the questions I'm a noob.

As a rule, your fish won't grow as well in a planted community tank as they will in a BB tank with the same size discus. They'll be out competed for food, won't get as many wc's as they could in their own BB tank, etc etc.
There is alot of info here about the best ways to raise fry if you want to do some research.