PDA

View Full Version : ideas for blue diamond tank?

joshua 74
12-30-2010, 10:59 AM
need some opinions on how i should set up a blue diamond tank, colouring light background,plants/no plants,driftwood so on so all?? btw its only a 55g i am only having a breeding pair of blue diamonds in there maybe some cardinals?

ockyra215
12-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Well if its going to be a breeding tank go bare bottom only the pair and use a smaller tank 20 or 29 gallon tank use low lighting and cover paint the bottom sides but only the pair no other fish need to be in with them JMO ofcourse oh and use a sponge filter and :bandana:

inmisawa
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
If you're going with a bare bottom breeding tank, you might want to check out Barb's cones for a decorative touch:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?183-Delightful-Designs-Discus-Cones-(Barb-Odgers)-North-Carolina-USA

joshua 74
12-31-2010, 04:16 AM
Interesting cones. The tank is a 4f 55g im looking to do a display tank because all I have atm is breeding tanks. I really like the 3d background look. Here are some pics do u think I can have a 3d background?? Btw this is my bd girl(not in my tank)I think she is gona be great when I get her in my tank.

inmisawa
12-31-2010, 05:07 AM
My thought is that a 3D background is going to eat up at least 5cm of the 30cm width you probably have available on a 55 gal aquarium. Also, the heater will have to go somewhere as well as your filter tubes, provided you're not doing a sponge filter. It seems like a lot of work for a breeding tank. That's not to say it's a bad idea, it's just that it'll take away some discus real estate in your tank.

joshua 74
12-31-2010, 06:13 AM
well im not so much looking 2 breed. id have plenty of spare tanks if needed. i wanted a show tank to show off a breeding pair. the background tacking that much room still leaves the pair plenty of room 4 2 and maybe some cardinals. i like sand bottom would this be smart?? do u like my bd girl she is only young i thing she has nice colour shape but her eyes let her down they are almost balck:(. also she is the most afraid discus i have ever had-_- cannot wait to get her male. she is sharing a tank with another breeding pair and she is not licking it lol

alpine
01-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Use a light blue background , that will be fine. I think a 55 four feet tank might a little big , maybe the experts have something to say about that. Use a bare bottom tank. A sponge filter . A nice cone .

Then cross your fingers and hope everything goes well. And yes..be Patient !
Forgot..No Cardinals !

Roberto.

Mxx
01-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd personally avoid any sort of a background which might clash with their colouring, such as light blue. I would think a very dark background or backpainting the rear wall black would bring the colouration of Diamonds the most dramatically. Alternately, you could attach a black plastic mesh screen to the back wall and then have 'Christmas' moss or another more decorative type of Java moss if you think the planting might help the look of the tank, create a back surface which you wouldn't need to really worry about scraping clean from algae, and if you have some lighting to support a hardy plant such as moss.