PDA

View Full Version : Share a little story

ChrisNif
12-31-2010, 07:01 AM
I just wanted to give everyone a "learn from my dumb-xxx" story.

I have a 5 gallon eclipse hex (acrylic). I used Great Stff to attach a dry piece of driftwood to the back wall of the tank. Great stuff makes wonderous glue, problem is wood expands when wet (DUH! i tell myself now).

A corner of the wood was pressed against the wall of the tank, the great stuff held it's ground too too well, all of the sudden I hear "SNAP!" Lucky for me 2 forces aligned themselves to prevent me from hearing "I want all these fish out of the house NOW!" while I sop up water. It seems the pressure helped keep the acrylic crack tight, so I didn't lose a drop of water. I also had just done a water change, so I had my 5/8" hose and bucket handy. Sucked up the water and fish into the bucket, problem solved.

Endlers live in bucket until I figure something out (they've been room temp for a while, I'm trying to get more males).

MORAL: Driftwood expands when it's wet!

William Palumbo
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
OUCH!...Good to know! I am planning on in the future to use some of that to make a bio-tope tank...Bill...P.S. The only reason it didn't leak was because you were prepared with a bucket and hose!

roundfishross
12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
you can repair the crack pretty easy with acrylic glue. never actually tried it but I know tap plastics sells the stuff get in touch with sabres1 he has repaired acrylic.

ChrisNif
12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks much. I think I'm going to remove the wood and see what I can do :)