PDA

View Full Version : Tom aqua lifter pump & prefilter?

Jhhnn
01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Any experience with this? I want to use a siphon type overflow box to a wet/dry filter on a tempered tank, and want to make sure the siphon doesn't quit. These will supposedly refill the siphon even if it gets jostled & quits.

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Aquatics-Aqua-LifterDosing-Pump/dp/B001EUI390/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294012977&sr=8-3-fkmr1

Any good, or not?

Thanks!

ChrisNif
01-03-2011, 06:42 AM
I've used these for many purposes. They do just what they are advertised to do. I've used it for overflows, and as crazy as it sounds I use one to pump water from my room air conditioner to outside, it handles air and water no problem, so it doesn't get screwy when there isnt water in the air conditioner's sump.

Jhhnn
01-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Chris! Using one in an air conditioner doesn't sound screwy, at all. No dripping in the house, right?

Anybody else?

roundfishross
01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I have been using the small one for about two years and its almost shot, for no appearant reason the entire housing cracked open but it is still working (for now). think I AM just gonna throw all the bs away and drill the tank.

Jhhnn
01-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I have been using the small one for about two years and its almost shot, for no appearant reason the entire housing cracked open but it is still working (for now). think I AM just gonna throw all the bs away and drill the tank.

I'd do the same, except the tank has a big "Tempered Glass! Do not Drill!" tag glued into the silicone seal on the underside, and I have all the stuff except for the aqualifter from a used aquarium deal... That might just apply to the bottom glass, but I don't want to find out I'm wrong, particularly since new fish will go in on thursday... My one tank w/ wet/dry bioball sump has been a very, very healthy tank, so I want to do more of that...

I ordered the aqualifter, the filter gizmo, and some spare diaphragms, just in case... Think I'll set the overflow box so that even if the siphon quits, the tank won't overflow, if I can. My tanks aren't very ornamental, except in the sense that the discus are ornamental... It'll come together after the fish go in the tank, if at all...

Thanks for the info- cracked case and it still works? Sounds like a tough customer, just my kind of equipment...

Eddie
01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Can you install a check valve?

roundfishross
01-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I think its made with one Eddie. when the power goes off it does not allow air to flow into the overflow box. for what the thing cost it seems to be pretty solid just not extremely long lived. I never did use a filter on the thing just never ordered it although they do recomend it.

roundfishross
01-03-2011, 11:45 PM
every tank I own has the same tag but its always referring to the bottom payne. I saw somewhere online a way to tell if the glass is tempered or not. my overflow box and the whole nine are just plain worn out and soon to be scrapped. I know if the edges of the glass are ever chipped you know its not tempered.

Eddie
01-03-2011, 11:53 PM
I think its made with one Eddie. when the power goes off it does not allow air to flow into the overflow box. for what the thing cost it seems to be pretty solid just not extremely long lived. I never did use a filter on the thing just never ordered it although they do recomend it.

Hmmm, interesting. I have a bunch of 55 gallon tanks that I cannot drill because ALL the panes are tempered. I wish I could drill them, such a pain. :mad:

acroken
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
The label on the bottom of most 55/75 mean the bottoms are tempered. I drill the sides of all my 55's and 75'. They all had the same label on the bottom. Here is a link to know for sure.
http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?t=9542

Funny thing happened last night. I was taking advantage of the Petco tank sale once again. As we were walking out of the store, i asked the same question as i always do"are these all temper or just the bottoms" as i turned to see her response a tank slid off her cart and smashed on the ground in big pieces. Guess that answered my question.

Kenny

Eddie
01-05-2011, 12:08 AM
The label on the bottom of most 55/75 mean the bottoms are tempered. I drill the sides of all my 55's and 75'. They all had the same label on the bottom. Here is a link to know for sure.
http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?t=9542

Funny thing happened last night. I was taking advantage of the Petco tank sale once again. As we were walking out of the store, i asked the same question as i always do"are these all temper or just the bottoms" as i turned to see her response a tank slid off her cart and smashed on the ground in big pieces. Guess that answered my question.

Kenny

Dang, guess thats one way to find out. LOL The stickers on the bottom of all my 55s say "ALL PANES ARE TEMPERED GLASS DO NOT DRILL". :(

roundfishross
01-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Dang, The stickers on the bottom of all my 55s say "ALL PANES ARE TEMPERED GLASS DO NOT DRILL". :(

thats weird and kinda sucks.:confused:

Eddie
01-05-2011, 04:05 AM
thats weird and kinda sucks.:confused:

I know! :(

leeishom
01-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Exuse my ignorance: so, this is basically a low GPH water/air pump?

Eddie
01-06-2011, 01:46 AM

Yup

roundfishross
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
a vaccume pump!!

Jhhnn
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Yes. properly installed, it can fill an over the side tank siphon by creating a vacuum, and will then continue to pump water at a low rate. One of the problems with add-on overflow boxes for wet/dry filters is that the siphon may suck air & quit if jostled. With one of these, it'll just fill up again and go back to work- in theory, anyway.