PDA

View Full Version : Tapping into a bathroom sink drain..?

ericatdallas
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I get all sorts of interesting but unrelated hits when I do a search for this.

My tanks share a wall with the bathroom. Currently, I run a hose around the corner to my tanks from the bathroom. I would like to cut a small hole, run a hose from my tank to the drain of the bathroom sink (under the sink).

I know this can be done. I even have an idea of how I would do it. Just curious if there is more expert opinion, warnings, or advice. I did read somewhere (when I was considering tapping into the laundry drain pipe in the basement, that there's risk of water backing up when you tap into the laudry drain).

I would also like to tap into the hot/cold water supply under the sink and run it the other way.

I could throw something together that works, but I'm hoping someone else has done it.

Thanks,
Eric

DiscusOnly
01-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Not a plumber but I see a problem with tapping into the drain of your sink.

1. If you tap in before the p-trap, waste water from your sink drain will get into your new line.

2. If you tap after the p-trap, how are you venting?

I would consider talking to someone with knowledge about plumbing first to make sure whatever you plan meet codes.

Chad Hughes
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I would tap in above the "P" trap on the sink for two reasons.

First, you won't have to provide a "P" trap for the added drain line and you'll be able to use the vent that is already installed.

Second, you want your point of entry in to the existing line above the high point of the sink drain trap to avoid crass flow between the sink and the aquarium drain.

I would also attach the new line to the drain with a "Y" so that your inbound flow from the aquarium is in the direction of drain flow. A "T" will allow water to potentially get back in to your aquarium drain from the sink. Use gravity!

Let me know if I confused ya!

Best wishes!

ericatdallas
01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I would consider talking to someone with knowledge about plumbing first to make sure whatever you plan meet codes.

I know this sounds foolish, but I'm not worried about code. Any modifications I'll make are temporary and I'll change it back before I move. I just 1) Don't want to -risk- any serious damage. 2) Don't want to make a mess.

I know sometimes code prevents you from doing 1 and 2, but that's not always the case. For instance, ignoring code can be a calculated risk that at times adds minimal risk for something that causes minimal damage.

I would tap in above the "P" trap on the sink for two reasons.

First, you won't have to provide a "P" trap for the added drain line and you'll be able to use the vent that is already installed.

Second, you want your point of entry in to the existing line above the high point of the sink drain trap to avoid crass flow between the sink and the aquarium drain.

I would also attach the new line to the drain with a "Y" so that your inbound flow from the aquarium is in the direction of drain flow. A "T" will allow water to potentially get back in to your aquarium drain from the sink. Use gravity!

Let me know if I confused ya!

Best wishes!

That mostly makes sense. I might have more questions as I prepare/plan the project.

I was also thinking of adding a check valve? Unnecessary?

discussmith
01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
You don't have any concerns in doing this. It will be exactly the same as a double bowl sink installation found in most kitchen sinks except the extra "bowl" will be the aquarium drain . You may already have an example where you live. The fittings are readily available at a lumber yard and if you hang on to the old parts when you are done you can just reinstall to the original. You can also find the fittings needed to "T" the water lines after the existing valves and set an additional set of valves to your tank. If the existing water supplys are plastic it will be easy to work with. If they are metal I would remove them and replace them with plastic for this temporary install. You can then put the metal ones back to the original when wanted.

Jennie
01-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Why is my question?? is this so not to run a hose around corner??

waj8
01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Just buy the necessary fittings that are used to hook up a dishwasher drain. Drill a hole through the wall push your drain hose through and attach it to the fitting meant for the the dishwasher hose. It's about a 15 minute job in ABS pipe. Don't know what your pipes are made of though. The building supply guy should know exactly what you need but basically you have to insert a Y in the drain line before the trap, then glue a bushing with a threaded hole in it in the Y. You then screw the fitting into the bushing. The fitting has a pipe thread on one end and a hose barb on the other end. When you are done with the setup, unscrew the fitting and screw in a plug. There is an all in one type fitting but you can't unscrew the hose barb so that one would not be as good.

Sometimes it's a bit tricky to insert a Y into an existing line. There are rubber couplings available that make it easy to do this. They cost more but might be worth it. Make sure your drain hose loops up above the flood level of the sink. You don't want the sink drain draining into your fish room.

ericatdallas
01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Just buy the necessary fittings that are used to hook up a dishwasher drain.

You don't have any concerns in doing this. It will be exactly the same as a double bowl sink installation found in most kitchen sinks except the extra "bowl" will be the aquarium drain .

Wow, both of the above are very good ideas as models for what I want to do. It didn't occur to me to use the "double sink" because I've never had one in a place I've lived before. The dishwasher idea is a good idea too... I'll start looking into different ways people do these. Thanks!

Why is my question?? is this so not to run a hose around corner??

Well, there are several reasons.
1) Sometimes water sloshes out of the hose.
2) My toddling daughter likes to mess with stuff I have out
3) The most time consuming part of water change is taking out the gear and putting it back. This allows me to have equipment in place and ready to go.
4) Eventually I would like to set it up so that I just have to use a valve or switch (on a pump) to do water changes.
5) I've actually worn out my hose from using it so much.
6) Sometimes if I leave the hose unattended, there might be something (i.e. toddler, dog, change in water pressure, me accidentally tripping) that causes the hose to pull out of tank and spill all over the carpet. Similar to #1.
7) I have to use buckets to siphon out right now and this totally eliminates that. I can get a fast enough siphon from the tank to the bathroom.

I'm sure there are other good reasons, but mostly because of convenience, with #7 being the biggest.

DonMD
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Erica, I am totally with you on this! I've been drilling holes in floors, walls, running new pipe, I just love doing that sort of stuff. GO FOR IT. If it makes it easier and faster to change water, your fish will love you for it ! ! ! And, HAVE FUN ! ! !

ericatdallas
01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Erica,...

<sigh> I really need to ask the admin to change my login :P

It's supposed to be Eric - at - Dallas :)

... but -EVERYONE- makes that mistake and I can see why.

DonMD
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry about that, ERIC ! ! ! But, ROTFLMAO, that must be why my wife wouldn't let me name my son Eric ! ! ! hahaha.

OKOK, sorrysorrysorry.

Anyway, have fun with the plumbing! -DON (not Donna!)

Altum Nut
01-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Eric,

I agree with Wayne's #7 post reply and go with the dishwasher hook-up method.
And don't worry about changing your avitar name.....just end your post with your name and people will catch on eventually.
Good luck with your project,

...Ralph

yim11
01-07-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure if there is a concern for backup into the sink using the dishwasher design, but if so I put a ball valve inline that allows me to shut off the pipe to the sink when the tanks are draining.

HTHs,
-jim

discussmith
01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Not that it is a huge concern even with the D.W. design depending on how fast you send out the water, but the dw uses an air-gap device at the top of a sink to prevent backups. A double sink does not need one because they are already open where they drain. I use an 1 1/2" to (3" or 4") reducing fitting with a 1' piece of pipe in it for the open site (think sink) at the aquarium and it gets all the air it needs to drain as fast as needed and will not back up.

Jhhnn
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
This may give you some ideas-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?74240-Water-changing-system

Click on the water changing sub album at photobucket...

If you can get the drain hose to run downhill all the way, with no low spots creating a trap, it works great. Definitely have a sink trap between the aquarium and the sewer, otherwise unpleasant gases may flow out of the sewer... If you need to create a trap in the hose, then you need a way to break the vacuum at the top of the tank, where the siphon goes over the tank. Otherwise, the water in the hose trap can restart the siphon when you attempt to fill...

I hope I''m explaining that well...

Sean Buehrle
04-15-2011, 11:24 PM
I once drilled a hole in the back of a tank and installed a bulkhead with a shutoff on the outside running to pvc pipe. pvc went to my basement drain.

all i had to do was connect a hose in the tank to the bulkhead and turn the shutoff and it was easy goin all the way.

ericatdallas
04-16-2011, 12:53 AM
This may give you some ideas-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?74240-Water-changing-system

Click on the water changing sub album at photobucket...

If you can get the drain hose to run downhill all the way, with no low spots creating a trap, it works great. Definitely have a sink trap between the aquarium and the sewer, otherwise unpleasant gases may flow out of the sewer... If you need to create a trap in the hose, then you need a way to break the vacuum at the top of the tank, where the siphon goes over the tank. Otherwise, the water in the hose trap can restart the siphon when you attempt to fill...

I hope I''m explaining that well...

Did you take pics down? I lost track of this thread... :(

The last time the landlord dropped by he didn't seemed all that pleased that I had an adapter on the sink <shrug>, so I'm guessing he's not going to like me punching holes through the wall. I'm toying with some other ideas... It took a ridiculously long time to change water on two tanks tonight... about an hour and a half but I did a 80% WC on both of them.