PDA

View Full Version : thermometer?

bon243
01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
i put my heater on 82, but my thermometer says it 86... is it off this is a very good heater
BTW its only 82 for now, when i add discus, ill notch it up to 86 but then the thermometer will think its like 92.... is it right?

Chad Hughes
01-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Throw a second thermometer in there.That should tell the tale!

fishorama
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I like the stick on high temp hermometer that kensfish carries, never wrong for me...

Jhhnn
01-06-2011, 02:08 AM
I like the stick on high temp hermometer that kensfish carries, never wrong for me...

Me too. They work great on glass tanks- can't say wrt acrylic tanks, because acrylic doesn't transfer heat as well as glass. I like to put 'em right up front, where I feed the fish, so I can tell at a glance. Simple, reliable & very consistent. 86F is conveniently dead center.

Once installed on clean glass, they can't be moved w/o damage. I have spares, just in case, but haven't used any.

Eddie
01-06-2011, 02:14 AM
I haven't had too many heaters that kept the tank to the temperature that the dial setting was on. Its always good to double check the temp with another thermometer and adjust the heater setting to your preference.

Melissa
01-06-2011, 07:13 AM
I haven't had too many heaters that kept the tank to the temperature that the dial setting was on. Its always good to double check the temp with another thermometer and adjust the heater setting to your preference.

+1

Jhhnn
01-06-2011, 06:31 PM

Agreed. Properly calibrated, Jagers are pretty close, one of their many advantages, but you need an accurate thermometer to calibrate them in the first place.

ericatdallas
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
One of my heaters is dialed at 83F and the thermometer measures 90F and the other is dialed at 87F and a separate thermometer reads 79F <shrug>. I switched the thermometers and heaters around. I can only come to one conclusion and that's the heater's thermostat isn't properly calibrated. My bet is that they buy a generic parts in bulk within a certain range of specifications (good enough, but not exact) and it's up to the aquarist to figure out the corresponding temps.

Keith Perkins
01-08-2011, 02:26 AM
It's funny, I'm usually pretty picky, but I've never calibrated a heater. I've always left the dial right where they were shipped to me at and just adjusted them up or down to get the tank to the actual temperature I wanted and the heck with what temperature the knob says it is. Usually buy Jagers too when I plan far enough in advance.

Jhhnn
01-08-2011, 01:24 PM
It's funny, I'm usually pretty picky, but I've never calibrated a heater. I've always left the dial right where they were shipped to me at and just adjusted them up or down to get the tank to the actual temperature I wanted and the heck with what temperature the knob says it is. Usually buy Jagers too when I plan far enough in advance.

I like to get the calibration right on jagers so I know what will happen should I need to replace one or if I want to expand. I use a spare tank, tweak them one at a time at my leisure. It's ridiculously easy with the new red ring model- no tools required at all. I found that I needed a pair of pliers to lift the button on the older blue ones.

I figure the newer ones are a better design for that reason, and also because a water seal for the button was eliminated.

Keith Perkins
01-09-2011, 01:28 AM
I like to get the calibration right on jagers so I know what will happen should I need to replace one or if I want to expand. I use a spare tank, tweak them one at a time at my leisure. It's ridiculously easy with the new red ring model- no tools required at all. I found that I needed a pair of pliers to lift the button on the older blue ones.

I figure the newer ones are a better design for that reason, and also because a water seal for the button was eliminated.

I might just have to try calibrating the next one. I tend to toss mine into one of my water reservoirs to adjust them to where I want them, though admittedly, my newest jager is well over 10 years old. I actually was considering trying to set one of the calibrations on one of the old Jagers, but then I figured those little parts might be pretty brittle after all these years so why to fix it now.