PDA

View Full Version : Algae in Discus Tank

Smiladon
01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I seem to have lots of Algae growth after adding the new 6400k lights for my bare bottom discus tank. The discus get spooked whenever all the lights go out etc, so I leave the lights on 24/7. Obviously this caused a tremendous amount of algae growth.

I would like to know if I can add bristlenose plecos in with discus to take care of the algae. The temperature in the tank is around 87F

Please let me know what fish I can add to get rid of the algae. There seem to be 2 kinds on algae.
1. Brown Algae (diatoms?)
2. Green Algae

Its mainly brown.

waj8
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I have bristlenose in my tank. It's at 83. Bristlenose eat the algae off the glass. I also have Nerite snails. They are even better. Maybe try less light and more water changes. How much light do you have on what size tank?

ericatdallas
01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I seem to have lots of Algae growth after adding the new 6400k lights for my bare bottom discus tank. The discus get spooked whenever all the lights go out etc, so I leave the lights on 24/7. Obviously this caused a tremendous amount of algae growth.

I would like to know if I can add bristlenose plecos in with discus to take care of the algae. The temperature in the tank is around 87F

Please let me know what fish I can add to get rid of the algae. There seem to be 2 kinds on algae.
1. Brown Algae (diatoms?)
2. Green Algae

Its mainly brown.

I have otocinclus (great for the plants), Hypostomus plecostomus, nerite snails, and an unfortunate infestation of pest snails (MTS?) from the pet store when I bought the otocinclus.

Until recently I had a problem with algae too... I have plants. To combat it, I bought all of the above (although I had the nerites already). Plecos get too big, but they're on sale at the local petsmart here so I figured when they grow to over 8" I'll give them away to someone on Craigslist.

Have you considered a lower intensity light? One of my tanks has a strip of blue LEDs (you can buy these rather cheaply on eBay).

Rather than add to the bio-load of a BB tank, I would just reduce the light. My discus tank actually only gets light from the ceiling or adjacent planted tank. I think BN plecos are acceptable tank mates.

I've also been looking at getting some Rainbow Cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa), apparently they are friendly and they eat algae. I haven't seen many people using them with discus but the few I've found don't seem to have a problem.

PAR23
01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
The discus need their down time. Lights on all the time is not advisable.

cp21506
01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Too much lighting actually washes out color of the fish. I have one 65w T5 on 65g and that is adequate. I also have some blue LED moon light. The T5 is on for about 8 hours a day while the moon light is on all day. You might want to give the moon light a try. Also try keeping the room light on when turning off your aquarium light. Maybe also avoid sudden movement right after turning off the light. Leave them alone for a short time then slowly moves in. If they seem calm, try giving them some food to let them feel safe about the change and you in different lighting.

My fish used to freak when I turned their light on. But doing the above over a few days really helped calmed them down. Now they don't even blink an eye no matter what I do to their light; even if I rapidly turn their lights on and off and on...