PDA

View Full Version : Hard or soft (plumbing)?

mjbarnard
01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Upgrading to a 450L tank. It has four holes drilled in the base for drain and return to two external eheims. As a new build, it offers the opportunity to plan, design and build as desired. It will be planted.

The holes in the base will be fitted with bulkheads, which can then be connected to either "hard" (pvc) plumbing components or "soft" components - eg eheim 16/22 flexible tubing . The system will incorporate two external hydor heaters, CO2 with an external reactor, and connection of a manual/semi-automated water change system. Therefore there will be ball valves, and three way connections with either system.

I understand the basic advantages and disadvantages of both systems. The "hard" system allows more flexibility, greater stability/security, and protection against leaks and disconnects. The soft system is easier to install, and more tolerant of bends and angles etc. It is perhaps less secure, even with tube clamps.

My question is - (rather than what are the pros/cons) - which system would you choose, hard or soft plumbing?

Thanks
Matthew

Justice
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Soft!!!

I like a little bit of give when push comes to shove, as well as being able to move tanks around easier.

jcardona1
01-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Personally I like 'em hard :) I try to use rigid PVC in all my setups

DonMD
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Are you aware that you can purchase flexible pvc pipe? I found out about it on this forum. I used it to plumb up to my big tank. It's great stuff! I posted a couple pics on this thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?72105-Dining-with-Discus&highlight=

waj8
01-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Whatever provides the least flow restriction.

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I prefer hard PVC pipe whenever possible. Though if I need some flexibility, flex pvc pipe works great too (also known as spa-flex). Either way, I do my best to avoid tubing of any kind.

-Ryan

jimg
01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
i used hard pvc except for the connection at the pump,then it's soft for about a foot,stops vibration and tension as pump turns on.
The best way is what waj8 says. if you have to use more than one 90 in a certain area then soft. otherwise 2-45s.
but I do not always practice what I preach. I have upstairs and downstairs fish room run off the same pump I couldn't begin to tell you how many 90s I have!!! still works though!

Jhhnn
01-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I used some inexpensive 3/4" black glueable flexible pvc pipe from the irrigation section at home depot for runs from my cellar to the tanks upstairs. It comes in 50' rolls, and is only semi flexible at room temps. I put it in a warm oven for 30 minutes, and it's as bendy as a wet noodle, until it cools completely. The fact that it uses standard glue fittings makes valving easy and inexpensive. Good stuff, not intended for real pressure applications like water distribution in a home.

I've also used the grey pvc from the electrical section for tank plumbing, particularly the sweep bends. It's the same as the white stuff, just a different color, and the sweep bends reduce restriction, keep flow rates up...

For your purposes, a hybrid of some soft and some hard would probably work best- rigid where you can use it, then transitioning to soft to hold down pump noise/ vibration. The rigid plastic pvc unions also work great as quick connect points, requiring little more than being hand tight to be water tight against the internal rubber o-ring...

roclement
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Flex PVC

wendy9722
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
:cheesy:I like it hard!!!! Hubba Hubba!!!
LoL!!!!;)

wendy9722
01-16-2011, 11:12 PM
sry!!! I had too. When I read that I started to laugh...

mjbarnard
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone - particularly Jhhnn. Your advice is spot on, and I intend to go with your recommendations.

Thanks
Matthew