PDA

View Full Version : RO water or tap water

BobB
01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Is it absolutely necessary to use RO water for wild discus or can you use tapwater or a combination of both. I live in Mn the PH is a little over 7 and I use a water softener.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
This seems to be an open-ended question. There are too many opinions on this topic and even more controvery for wilds. RO/Tap (75/25) seems to be the main answer. There will also be different water conditions for young discus as well for adults too. The young discus will need more tap water for the minerals for optimum grow out then the adult discus.

This thread could in fact go on endlessly.

Second Hand Pat
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm currently using 20/80 RO/Tap with the wilds I received from John two weeks ago. While I am by far no expert the wilds seem to be doing quite well. I am using Dale Jordans GH guidelines of a reading below 150. However Dale's sweet spot is around 70ish.

BobB
01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks.

William Palumbo
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
As Jeff said...lots of different responses. I keep mine in hard tapwater with no problem. Tho not sure about your water softener, as that tends to release sodium into the water...Bill

Second Hand Pat
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Bob, have your aerated your water over 24 hours? My tap ph is 7.4, after aeration 8.2.

BobB
01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I am still in the process of setting the tank up, I am getting ideas from the pros. I will try the aeration to see what happens.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Before airation of my 2 34 gallon holding tanks, my RO water has a ph of 6.4 and TDS of 3-4. After adding Tap and 24 hours of airation and water circulation (84 degrees), my ph can climb to 7.6/7.8 but the TDS stays around 70/75. I add discus buffer to my water to take the ph back down to 6.4.

As you can see, there can be many different water parameters to deal with.

TURQ64
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
At this time of year, the water districts in colder states bump up the amount of cloramines to kill off molds. It happens every winter. Be careful experimenting, as I've seen too many posts lately that can be traced to ammonia burn from tap water. As I have killed off a few breeding pairs and fry in past years, I prefer to use RO and add whatever necessary. Yes it's a headaxhe, but I am no longer guilty of involuntary slaughter. Just my opinion, but again, be careful,mate.

mathao
01-15-2011, 01:54 AM
for adults and sub adults in the winter i change water only once a week, but i add buffers and alot of dechlor to the water straight from the tap and i don't seem to have any problems, but my stock is used to it over the years.

3dees
01-15-2011, 12:11 PM
my wilds are in tap water. the only thing I add is prime. ph is 7.6 and my fish are fine.

sfdiscus
01-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Hi - is distilled water from grocery stores good enough for wild discus? Also, can someone recommend where I can get used, cheap RO system for in home use? thx

Altum Nut
01-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Why buy used when you can get a new great priced r/o unit from: http://www.eliteaquaria.com/Discus_RO_Units_s/44.htm

...Ralph

sfdiscus
01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks Ralph.
I have also been told by my LFS (reputable SF Bay Area who specializes in wild discus) that the Bay area water is good enough for discus and all we need in the bay area is Discus Buffer that will keep pH low and water soft.
Can this community confirm that this is true? thx

CliffsDiscus
01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Confirm, we are lucky to have great water in the Bay Area, for wild and domestic Discus.

Cliff

dadecountyalan
01-19-2011, 08:27 PM
i kept mine for about 7 months in hard tap water. all i used was prime and ph buffer. then i started aging my water. but i pretty much had the same results

moon_knight1971
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm getting back into the hobby, just starting to set up my tank, and live in the Bay Area too. Normally I would use Proper ph 6.5 and Novaquel for my fish water with no aeration or aging. Reading some of these posts is confusing me because some are saying to use the buffer while others are saying not to.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Well Moon, that is why this can be a never ending topic of discussion. As many people will say don't worry so much regarding the ph and focus on the TDS. Some will disagree with that logic. Some say to just use Prime if you are using just tap water.

I think it is more than likely going to be what works for you, me or anyone else.

Eddie
02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm getting back into the hobby, just starting to set up my tank, and live in the Bay Area too. Normally I would use Proper ph 6.5 and Novaquel for my fish water with no aeration or aging. Reading some of these posts is confusing me because some are saying to use the buffer while others are saying not to.

Additives to directly change ph, are a waste of money. People are merely trying to save you money and help to keep it simple.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

sfdiscus
02-14-2011, 01:24 AM
[QUOTE=DiscusLoverJeff;717257]After adding Tap and 24 hours of airation and water circulation (84 degrees), my ph can climb to 7.6/7.8 but the TDS stays around 70/75. I add discus buffer to my water to take the ph back down to 6.4.
/QUOTE]

Hi - do you have you have a jump in TDS after adding discus buffer? thx