PDA

View Full Version : how to make filter?

ss16534
01-14-2011, 10:45 AM
hi
does any one have idea to make filter with pump ? thanks

Northwoods Discus
01-14-2011, 11:20 AM
What type of filter do you want to build. I built a sump with a bathroom utility sink on a 100 gallon tank. It is built in to a wall in the basement. The out flow from the tank goes into the sink which I have bioballs and aquarium gravel for biomedia. I placed the biomedia in baskets for pond plants which are plastic mesh. I spread out the drip with old plastic lids from storage containers no longer in use that have holes drilled about an inch apart. Under the sink is a 29 gallon tank with the pump to return flow to the aquarium with a home made spray bar. A hole drilled on top of the spray bar prevents suction if the pump were to stop. I also placed 2 heaters in the 29 gallon to hide at least some of the heaters in the tank. I have one heater in the tank just in case the pump were to quit.

ss16534
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
thanks ,, just simple one .. pump inside tank that suck all the waste of discus and above tank some sort of fitter to collect all the waste and return the water in tank something like that ?

William Palumbo
01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
A power filter? Buy one from the store...it will be cheaper than making one...Bill

ss16534
01-14-2011, 12:01 PM
actually all the stuff needed is with me from my old stuff i just have to make it no need to spend

Northwoods Discus
01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
I have seen a filter made with old styrofoam boxes and filter floss. Just depends on how you want it to look and function. Pump in the tank may create a lot of heat and noise and vibration the fish may not like. It will probably not be pleasing to the eye. Be creative. At least pumping it up and trickle back in you won't have to worry about an overflow. That is unless your filter holds so much water that if the pump quits it will overflow your tank.