View Full Version : new to discus

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
ok theres my setup

1.30 gallon bow front tank
2.hang on filter appropriate for the size of the tank
3.very little gravel
4.under gravel filter system for circulation

so i have heard many things about discus and how the water needs to be just right (clean and good steady ph)

although the water in my town is really hard i know a few guys who has discus with our hard water, is my tank set up for this if not how can i get my tank ready?

p.s i have two palm size angle fish in the tank, i only wish to add 1 discus.

Skip
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
No... not a good set up for discus..
tap water is fine.. they prefer CLEAN WATER above all others..

Discus are social fish.. they are much happier in groups of 6 or more.. that tanks size would be ok for a breeding pair..

undergravel filters are outdated and dirty.... get rid of it..

leave the angels..and a larger tank if you want discus..

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
i will take your advise but undergravel filters are good, there is no slug under mine.

JoeDiscus
01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
My honest advice would be to add another HOB filter to double the filtration as well as the circulation and also be prepared for daily or every other day water changes of about 35-50% since discus require clean water, and you are keeping them in a tank that is lesser than would be recommended.

It would be better if you keep at least 2-3 discus since just 1 discus on its own would not seem fine, even if there are the 2 angelfish as tankmates. Or, if you can get your hands on a bigger tank, you can keep even more together in an ideal group of 6.

Also, I do agree that the undergravel filter would be outdated, and really wouldn't help in keeping the water conditions clean enough for keeping discus since it would only pull the waste underneath, and you'd have to clean that out regularly somehow.

GOOD LUCK in keeping discus, should you decide to go that route!

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
well i would love to get 2 or 3 like you said but the discus at our local pet store are around $40 so x2 it would be $80

i wish i had that kind of money for fish.

JoeDiscus
01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
You can always check if there are any local breeders around you since you can usually get better quality discus at a cheaper price (like $10-20) than you would at the local fish store.

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
You can always check if there are any local breeders around you since you can usually get better quality discus at a cheaper price (like $10-20) than you would at the local fish store.

how would you find local breeders in your area?

Altum Nut
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
My opinion is to search in the Sponsor Section and find a breeder in your area.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

...Ralph

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
i looked theres none around me but thank you

RudeDogg1
01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
$40 is cheap :s

twocat
01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
where are you from?

Skip
01-17-2011, 04:52 PM

first of all tell us where you are :) then we can help you, young grasshopper :idea2: :wave:

ericatdallas
01-17-2011, 04:52 PM

You could look on Craigslist, Hobbyist Breeders or For Sale section on this forum, or the local fish club.

You can usually find them anywhere from $10-15/each but you have to raise them from juveniles (a little harder). I agree though, $40 is cheap (depending on size).

Skip
01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
$40 is cheap (depending on size).

probably cheap for a reason.. he should take some pics of these said pics and post them in here.. then he could find out if they look good or just cheap/unhealthy fish.. i did that for come POTENTIAL LFS i was looking at :)

mmorris
01-17-2011, 05:07 PM
1.30 gallon bow front tank
2.hang on filter appropriate for the size of the tank
3.very little gravel
4.under gravel filter system for circulation

so i have heard many things about discus and how the water needs to be just right (clean and good steady ph)

although the water in my town is really hard i know a few guys who has discus with our hard water, is my tank set up for this if not how can i get my tank ready?

p.s i have two palm size angle fish in the tank, i only wish to add 1 discus.

I think you will run into problems with this set-up. As already mentioned, discus want to be kept in groups of at least six unless you have a breeding pair. Any two discus does not constitute a breeding pair. Discus want the numbers for security and to spread the agression around. A 30-gallon tank is too small unless you get a breeding pair and even then the angels ought to be re-homed. I bought my first discus because I had an empty 29 gallon and I really wanted to put one or two in it. I bought one, and he was miserable. After I found this forum I ran out and bought a 55 gallon and five more and the change in his behavior was amazing. People sell very young ones for relatively little on this forum but you will probably have to pay shipping charges. Gravel isn't really good for a discus tank. Food falls where the fish can't get to it and it rots. Undergravel filters only aggrevate the problem. I highly recommend you leave the angels in the 30 gallon and get a 55 gallon tank with canister or hang-on-back (hob) filter (check Craigs list) if you want to keep discus. I recommend you leave it bare-bottom until you can grow them out. Then, you might want to add sand. I don't recommend buying discus from an lfs. The quality tends to be poor, the health often not good, and the price is really high.

Altum Nut
01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
first of all tell us where you are :) then we can help you, young grasshopper :idea2: :wave:

Skip....you still got it.
I almost wet myself.
The new member looking for Discus is from Madison, WI area which I found from a previous post.

...Ralph

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
well then i think i will change my mind to getting 3 more angel fish for my tank. discus are expensive, caring for them is expensive, and the tank needs to be really clean.

i will get 3 more angel, so i will have 5 all togeather and get a breeding pair most likely and sell the babys.

Skip
01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
i will get 3 more changes, so i will have 5 all togeather and get a breeding pair most likely and sell the babys.

WHOAAAAA NELLY!! get some discus first.. keep them alive.. after a few months. (you gain lots of experience during that time).. then maybe get a breeding pair. but now your are looking at 300-400 a pair.. :)

and MOST LIKELY SELLING BABYS>?!?!? crawl before you walk.. walk before you run.. its not that easy..esp if you have a 30 gallon tank :) but i like your Chutzpah

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
fish breed like crazy with 4 or 5 angel fish i will prolly end up with a pair.

Skip
01-17-2011, 07:44 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH.. sorry.. did you mean.. ANGELS.. instead of CHANGES.. ??! sorry.. i thought you were talking about discus :)

14cichlid
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
i was but there to needy of fish and i dont have the money for the fish.

i could get one if i emptied my 30 gallon so it was bare because it does have high nitrate and nitrite levels.

RudeDogg1
01-21-2011, 12:32 PM
That would still be no good as you need to keep more than one 6 or more or a proven pair, you wouldnt keep a neon tetra on its own would you? Also high nitrItes and nitrAtes are no good for any kind of fish not just tetra