PDA

View Full Version : Setting-up First Planted Tank - Many Questions! :confused:

Dischris
01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I am setting up a 100 gal freshwater planted tank. I have never had a planted tank before. I want low-light & low maintenance plants, no fancy lighting or CO2 systems or anything like that.

I have been doing research, and I like the white pool filter sand look but I still have many questions and concerns:

* Is it suitable for plants?

*What grain size is best? (I want to prevent harmful anaerobic bacteria build up under the top layer and allow enough surface area for proper bacteria growth.)

*Is it necessary to mix the sand with another substrate, or put a first layer of another substrate beneath?

*Is liquid plant fertilizer sufficient for all sand bottom, and what are the cons of using these? Does this alter the water chemistry or harm fish?

*Is there a comparably priced, safe white sand that wont induce algae growth?

*How deep is the minimum easily maintained sand depth?

*Suggestions where to buy it in Central California? I have had no luck. Anywhere from san francisco to monterey?

* Is there a comparable silver colored sand substrate which would work equally well as a substitute?

discuspaul
01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I am setting up a 100 gal freshwater planted tank. I have never had a planted tank before. I want low-light & low maintenance plants, no fancy lighting or CO2 systems or anything like that.

I have been doing research, and I like the white pool filter sand look but I still have many questions and concerns:

* Is it suitable for plants?

*What grain size is best? (I want to prevent harmful anaerobic bacteria build up under the top layer and allow enough surface area for proper bacteria growth.)

*Is it necessary to mix the sand with another substrate, or put a first layer of another substrate beneath?

*Is liquid plant fertilizer sufficient for all sand bottom, and what are the cons of using these? Does this alter the water chemistry or harm fish?

*Is there a comparably priced, safe white sand that wont induce algae growth?

*How deep is the minimum easily maintained sand depth?

*Suggestions where to buy it in Central California? I have had no luck. Anywhere from san francisco to monterey?

* Is there a comparable silver colored sand substrate which would work equally well as a substitute?

If you want low light, low maintenance plants with no CO2, and you like the look of white pool filter sand, then it's not necessary for you to think about placing any other substrate under the sand. There are other substitutes to white silica pool filter sand, but more expensive & perhaps harder to locate. CaribSea has one, I'm sure.
If using sand, go with a very light layer to avoid the anaerobic pockets developing, e.g. 3/4" in front to no more than 3" at the rear. Feed your plants root tabs, supplemented with regular weekly or semi-weekly dosing with Flourish Excel & Comprehensive Supplement, that'll do the job. To my knowledge there is no substrate that wont induce algae growth, if conditions exist in your tank to promote it.
My 75 gallon discus tank has pool filter sand, and I treat it exactly as I have described here - the plants grow well, algae is always at a bare minimum, water conditions clear & good. Sand easy to clean/keep debris-free.
Have a look at mine as food for thought:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/newflamingos

Dischris
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what sand grain size you use for your tank, and does it get sucked into your filter at all? Also, I bought Flourish Comprehensive Supplement this morning. Any preferences or suggestions on root tabs?

discuspaul
01-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Got my sand from a swimming pool supplies outlet @ $10 for a 50 lb. bag. -came in white & buff colors - get the white.
No grain size marked on the bag that I could see - but I believe silica pool filter sand sold in pool supply stores is just one standard grain size.
I use HOB filters with the intakes well above the sand level - no problems at all. Even vacuuming is a cinch. The sand only goes part-way up the vac tube & gently tumbles back down - no sand sucked up at all.
Make sure you get Flourish Excel as well - essential for keeping algae at bay in particular. Root tabs - I've used both Flourish & API - both last about 4-5 months or so before needing replacement.

discuspaul
01-18-2011, 09:21 PM
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/flamingos2
Here's some better FTS pics to give you a better idea of the overall effect with white sand.

discuspaul
01-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Sorry - that one didn't work. Never mind - I think you already got the picture.

dielectric
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
If you really want to go low tech, add a layer of organic soil under your pool filter sand & your ferts will be collecting dust (except for k).

If you go with the seachem line, you are paying for mostly water. buy dry ferts. Stay away from API.
and yes they will change your water chemistry.

zamboniMan
01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
If you really want to go low tech, add a layer of organic soil under your pool filter sand & your ferts will be collecting dust (except for k).

If you go with the seachem line, you are paying for mostly water. buy dry ferts. Stay away from API.
and yes they will change your water chemistry.

I agree. Except I don't even notice potassium deficiency when using miracle grow underneath.

auraball
01-27-2011, 06:35 AM
fighting to start !!

Ken
01-28-2011, 11:15 PM
How often and how much of a water change are you planning to do

Dischris
01-30-2011, 05:19 AM
How often and how much of a water change are you planning to do
I hadn't even began to think about that yet...I will probobly do about 25-30% once a month (This is not my discus tank).
I just knew I could rely on getting some knowledgable responses from you guys.