PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, only 1 year left!

Eddie
01-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Well, I am not destined to stay in Japan. I was hoping to stay another tour but I got disapproved. Its not that big of a deal but I cannot expand on my fish keeping/breeding and I will eventually have to sell all the fish when the time gets near. I am hoping to stay overseas and won't know if I get selected for another overseas tour for another 3 months. If I don't get selected for an overseas assignment, I will be heading back to the US of A. And if that is the case, I won't know where until October. I've had some amazing assignments since I have been in the military so I am glad for that.

Eddie

Altum Nut
01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Eddie,
I sure someone will pick you up.
Hang in their and the best of luck.

...Ralph

Disgirl
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Don't worry Eddie, we will be glad to have you back in the US if you come home and just think about all the discus get- togethers you will be able to go to. How about Seymour Johnson AFB, Goldsboro, NC? It is a very nice base and only 2 hrs. from the coast. It is 1 hr. from us.
Barb

Jennie
01-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe Eddie it is time for you to settle down, be a family man and not a military man?

Second Hand Pat
01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Eddie, s**ks you were not approved. I'm sure something will turn up. I'm sure also you are disappointed about not being able to expand your fish keeping/breeding program.

Larry Bugg
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't know if it is really possible, but have you ever considered finding a exporter there and have them ship your fish to someone with a inporter license here? With all the friends you have made I bet you could find someone here who would import them for you (for the cost of course) and hold them till you are set up again. You have some fish worth keeping!!

brewmaster15
01-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey Eddie,
Thats a real bummer, but don't lose heart yet Bud, a years a long time and you never really know whats going happen until it does. All the best to you!

-al

Dave B
01-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Ha, and here I was thinking you were Japanese.

You've done enough for everyone here that I'm sure in the next year you can find a connection that'll let you get your fish sent to wherever you're headed at the end of this tour... might have some costs associated with it, but totally worth it as opposed to having to start over from scratch.

Eddie
01-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks everybody! As Al mentioned, alot can happen in a year. I'll keep you all posted on my next location once I know. Then I can try work something out with an exporter like Larry suggested. I do want to keep some of my fishes for sure. Hate to have to give them up :(

vera
01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
So sorry Eddie , hope they'll send u to some nice place for yr next assignment

TURQ64
01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Not a long time 'friend', but if I can be of any help, just give a shout..Fully retired, own my property, have ton's of tanks, and always ready to build another fish room.(we're getting a bit tired of the cold; looking into warmer property for ourselves, parrots,fish,and other stuff that doesn't care for the weather.) At any rate, don't woory, it's bad juju.
Gary

Eddie
01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
So sorry Eddie , hope they'll send u to some nice place for yr next assignment

I know! Me too! Cross your fingers and toes. :)

Not a long time 'friend', but if I can be of any help, just give a shout..Fully retired, own my property, have ton's of tanks, and always ready to build another fish room.(we're getting a bit tired of the cold; looking into warmer property for ourselves, parrots,fish,and other stuff that doesn't care for the weather.) At any rate, don't woory, it's bad juju.
Gary

Thanks Gary, long time friends are not the only real friends people can have. :) I appreciate the offer! Sounds like you are living my kind of life, always ready to build another fish room!

Take care,

Eddie

aalbina
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Maybe you can get Frankfurt, or Ramstien -- only 4 hours from Stendker hatchery! Good luck - things can change fast in a year. I spent 4 and half in Germany in the late 80's early 90's - wish I had known about discus back then. Nothing's certain until you get orders!

Hope it works out for you.

Adam

ockyra215
01-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Eddie dont sweat it who knows maybe youll wind up someplace cooler than Japan. Time will tell Bro the possibiltys are endless!!

David Rose
01-28-2011, 02:35 PM
You will make it a great tour no matter where you go Eddie and resilience runs in our blood!

inmisawa
01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey Eddie. Too bad about having to leave. I don't know what career field you're in, but you might want to see if there is an opening in the 497 CTS in Singapore. There's a permanent cadre there to bed down squadrons when they go TDY there. And you can take your car because they drive on the same side of the road as the Japanese. Best of luck to you on your search.

Darrell Ward
01-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Hello Afghanistan! Wonder what the water is like for discus there? May have to get RO. :p Just messing with ya! Good luck, wherever you end up.

Eddie
02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Hello Afghanistan! Wonder what the water is like for discus there? May have to get RO. :p Just messing with ya! Good luck, wherever you end up.

Lmao! I know! It will be, if I go back stateside. I'd like to get back to Europe for sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Darrell Ward
02-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah, some great fish in Europe for sure.

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey Eddie, when you PCS do you think TMO will move your tanks?

Eddie
03-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Hey Eddie, when you PCS do you think TMO will move your tanks?

I don't think they will, I know they will. Its a matter of weight, not dimensions. My max weight is around 10,000 pounds and I'm no where near that.

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't think they will, I know they will. Its a matter of weight, not dimensions. My max weight is around 10,000 pounds and I'm no where near that.

I guess for an OCONUS it's probably not worth paying out of pocket... it's probably not even worth it for CONUS. I was worried that they wouldn't move it and if they did, I would have to be paranoid about leaky aquariums for a while. I have a box of broken frames, mirrors, etc to back up my concerns. If they can't pack standard glass items...

Good to know though. I suppose the other downside is, by the time they get around to unpacking at your new place, it may not be quick enough for your fish...

Eddie
03-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I guess for an OCONUS it's probably not worth paying out of pocket... it's probably not even worth it for CONUS. I was worried that they wouldn't move it and if they did, I would have to be paranoid about leaky aquariums for a while. I have a box of broken frames, mirrors, etc to back up my concerns. If they can't pack standard glass items...

Good to know though. I suppose the other downside is, by the time they get around to unpacking at your new place, it may not be quick enough for your fish...

Ah, it depends. I could always set-up a tank at my next location and have the fish shipped. I won't be doing that this time as shipping my fish from Japan would be pretty steep. Its cool though, I'm pretty accustomed to starting from scratch, although I have a few strains that I'd like to keep in the future.

The cool thing now is that the Air Force reimburses everything at new cost if its damaged so they could break all my tanks in the move and I'll get all new ones! WOOHOOO :)

Jennie
03-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Eddie! your new signature is mean!

Eddie Wells
03-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Jennie
At least he doesn't lie and tell them their fish are show fish, LOL I kinda like it myself ! OK I guess I'm kinda mean also !

Jennie
03-14-2011, 08:21 PM
lol! Actually I'm trying to think back on my fish and honestly, he's complimented one that I know of..and I have alot of fish:(
Jennie
At least he doesn't lie and tell them their fish are show fish, LOL I kinda like it myself ! OK I guess I'm kinda mean also !

Eddie
03-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Its not mean, its true! Its my disclosure statement so folks can't say my silence is deceiving. My silence means that the fish are awful. LOL I've commented on more than one of your fishes, easily.

Keith Perkins
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Eddie, s**ks you were not approved. I'm sure something will turn up. I'm sure also you are disappointed about not being able to expand your fish keeping/breeding program.

You know, this reads COMPLETELY differently when you put the comma where it belongs instead of after the s**ks. And I've only had half a glass of wine.

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Ah, it depends. I could always set-up a tank at my next location and have the fish shipped. I won't be doing that this time as shipping my fish from Japan would be pretty steep. Its cool though, I'm pretty accustomed to starting from scratch, although I have a few strains that I'd like to keep in the future.

The cool thing now is that the Air Force reimburses everything at new cost if its damaged so they could break all my tanks in the move and I'll get all new ones! WOOHOOO :)

Yeah, except who deals with it when the water is all over your floor? Good point though, I forgot about that... My wife was pretty upset with me when I forgot to file for all the stuff they broke, including a pretty expensive fishing pole.

If you're stuck CONUS what are your options?

Eddie
03-14-2011, 08:56 PM
You know, this reads COMPLETELY differently when you put the comma where it belongs instead of after the s**ks. And I've only had half a glass of wine.

Crazy Keith! LOL

Yeah, except who deals with it when the water is all over your floor? Good point though, I forgot about that... My wife was pretty upset with me when I forgot to file for all the stuff they broke, including a pretty expensive fishing pole.

If you're stuck CONUS what are your options?

CONUS, not sure, West Coast probably. Will try to get back to my home, in Cali. I'd probably get to Travis since I am qualified on C-5/C-17s. Plus one of the SQ Commanders at Travis is trying to get me out there if I go CONUS.

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
CONUS, not sure, West Coast probably. Will try to get back to my home, in Cali. I'd probably get to Travis since I am qualified on C-5/C-17s. Plus one of the SQ Commanders at Travis is trying to get me out there if I go CONUS.

Oh or McGuire huh? Probably better off at Travis. I think Eglin has -ONE- C5 for testing. Although you have a ton of options for overseas... I would probably go with Aviano, Ramstein, or Rota if I were you...

Eddie
03-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Oh or McGuire huh? Probably better off at Travis. I think Eglin has -ONE- C5 for testing. Although you have a ton of options for overseas... I would probably go with Aviano, Ramstein, or Rota if I were you...

I've already been to Rota, Ramstein isn't too bad and Aviano doesn't have C-5/C-17s. I mean, I'm a MSgt so I can be sent to ANY base that has heavy's (cargo/bombers). I'm not looking for eastcoast AT ALL. I could get to Hurlburt or Eglin easily since I am also MC-130P/H/E qualified and I am already in AFSOC (which sucks) LOL. I'd like to get back to Europe but we'll see.

ericatdallas
03-14-2011, 11:15 PM
I've already been to Rota, Ramstein isn't too bad and Aviano doesn't have C-5/C-17s. I mean, I'm a MSgt so I can be sent to ANY base that has heavy's (cargo/bombers). I'm not looking for eastcoast AT ALL. I could get to Hurlburt or Eglin easily since I am also MC-130P/H/E qualified and I am already in AFSOC (which sucks) LOL. I'd like to get back to Europe but we'll see.

Go to Minot :P

I just PCS'ed from Eglin, I have a 2br/1.5ba condo on Santa Rosa across the street from the beach if you end up that way :)

Eddie
03-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Go to Minot :P

I just PCS'ed from Eglin, I have a 2br/1.5ba condo on Santa Rosa across the street from the beach if you end up that way :)

Where are you now? Minot......NOT! LOL

ericatdallas
03-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Where are you now? Minot......NOT! LOL

I'm at Wright-Patt.

Ah, okay.

inmisawa
03-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Why not Minot?! :laugh: Travis would work out pretty good for the Bay area types. You'd be an asset to the bay area discus group I'm sure, and Kenny is just down the way :D

Eddie
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Why not Minot?! :laugh: Travis would work out pretty good for the Bay area types. You'd be an asset to the bay area discus group I'm sure, and Kenny is just down the way :D

Yeah, that would be great! I'll know more by the summer.

Discusgeo2
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Don't pick on Minot if you haven't been there, I spent 3 years there and wanted to stay longer. I enjoyed the 4 day work weeks and the fishing and hunting.

Travis is nice but I been retired from the A.F for 14 years now so things change. I been to Wright-Patterson and didn't care for it. Too many uppity civilians.

Eddie
03-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Don't pick on Minot if you haven't been there, I spent 3 years there and wanted to stay longer. I enjoyed the 4 day work weeks and the fishing and hunting.

Travis is nice but I been retired from the A.F for 14 years now so things change. I been to Wright-Patterson and didn't care for it. Too many uppity civilians.

LOL, everybody has horror stories but you are right, its all about what you make of the place. It still won't ever make it on my dream sheet. :)

inmisawa
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
...its all about what you make of the place.

True statement. For me, I'm not much of an outdoorsman and I can't stand the snow so Minot wouldn't be the place for me. Don't take this wrong Eddie, but I hope I don't see you at Edwards. I have a similar feeling to George's about the civilians there, except I think they're all retarded. Like I said before, if I ever went back AD, Singapore would be the top of my list!

Eddie
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM
True statement. For me, I'm not much of an outdoorsman and I can't stand the snow so Minot wouldn't be the place for me. Don't take this wrong Eddie, but I hope I don't see you at Edwards. I have a similar feeling to George's about the civilians there, except I think they're all retarded. Like I said before, if I ever went back AD, Singapore would be the top of my list!

I'll throw it on the list but its not available to me. Being an E-7, 2A5X1, I am limited to certain overseas locations. I'll be happy to get back to Europe. My luck, I'll get Yokota (a puddle jump away). LOL

inmisawa
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah, being an F-16 pointy head limited my choices when I was in so I feel you on that.

Discusgeo2
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Make all you military time good times because I miss it, the people, traveling, seeing the world. For me I got to see a lot of place's as a K-Loader mechanic traveling with that monster filling the back of a C-130 or a 141 going to different spots in the world. I finally retired out of Luke in Arizona and enjoy the weather here. The dry heat makes it a nice place to raise my discus. It looks like we may be getting the new fighters here I believe it is the F-35

Eddie
03-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Make all you military time good times because I miss it, the people, traveling, seeing the world. For me I got to see a lot of place's as a K-Loader mechanic traveling with that monster filling the back of a C-130 or a 141 going to different spots in the world. I finally retired out of Luke in Arizona and enjoy the weather here. The dry heat makes it a nice place to raise my discus. It looks like we may be getting the new fighters here I believe it is the F-35

Heard lots of great things about Luke, not so much the base but the location. I guess each individual workcenter has its pluses and its negatives.

leeishom
03-22-2011, 04:25 AM
simplydiscus.com without Eddie; will not be simplydiscus.com